Anti ScubaPro bias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you need to take your whining into the special Whine and Cheese forum. Or into the DIY section. Might work there. Caterwauling and threatening SP won't accomplish much here.
...Gee My Mistake ... I thought this was where we went to find friendly helpful people ..guess I was wrong

...Gee My Mistake ... I thought this was where we went to find friendly helpful people ..guess I was wrong

You said:

“worthless customer service ... I will spread the word/story every chance I get ...”

Apparently this is is not a great place to start caterwauling.

they currently offer a lifetime warranty on the BC's (seams). so why would you assume they didn't used to have a similar warranty?

I’m not assuming anything. This is all from experience. Years of dealing with Jules (alas no more) and Dan at SP service get me rankled when someone makes crass accusations about them. SP is not set up to deal with end users. It’s their business model. They only talk to dealers. Just the way it is.

Holding your breath until you can’t any more and telling all your friends that they no longer support 30 year old equipment does not achieve much. Taking some pics and posting in the DIY forum will be a much more productive solution.

The discussion was that they do not support old equipment. I indicated that I thought they had a lifetime warranty. I was told "no". I spent 10 seconds looking it up and find they still provide lifetime warranty on the BC's. Which leads me to suspect that my recollection was, at least partially correct.

So, to me, it does not seem unreasonable to hope they archive schematics and service guidance for old gear that is still around and that is under warranty.

I have a bunch of SP stuff...

They are somewhat "sneaky", and if you do not undertake an annual service, you can get kicked out of the warranty. I have had success in them addressing a recall with a product I did not have as the original owner, but I assume it is the shop rather than the entity making good on it. I have many SP regulators, and some masks, fins, and BCs. Probably a few other things as the local shops were SP. I can't remember the last thing I bought "new" (probably a closeout G250V), and their regs are very good, but I don't see the value in them new currently with various other offerings where brands "kiss your ass" to make things right. I'd likey never buy any new SP gear as they (1) don't really grasp "tech" - where I am now, and (2) their pricing isn't worth it. Plus, the lockdown on parts as well as the killing of the "timeline" shows me their true colors....

I love their "old stuff", but hate them as an entity now.....

Truth be told, I spend more time diving DH regs now, and my tech stuff is Poseidon and other offerings that really work (D6, DR, Oxy, etc.).

SP has lost the place they used to hold for me....

Scuba pro has always been over priced. I have worn out probably 4-5 of their BC's, broken and worn out probably 5 jet fins and still use their old regulators. Their BC's hold up better than any other brand that I have seen. I don't know if I have ever bought a new piece of SP gear, and probably never will. Certainly don't hate SP gear, generally the quality is good in my expereince.

The discussion was that they do not support old equipment. I indicated that I thought they had a lifetime warranty. I was told "no". I spent 10 seconds looking it up and find they still provide lifetime warranty on the BC's. Which leads me to suspect that my recollection was, at least partially correct.

So, to me, it does not seem unreasonable to hope they archive schematics and service guidance for old gear that is still around and that is under warranty.

Curious. What is this lifetime BC warranty? On all BCs? For anyone? Still avail?

"Whine and Cheese" used to be a subforum here at Scubaboard where members could go to complain about issues that made them unhappy. Now you may find that category under the subforum name "Thumbs Down"

Aside from that, and for whatever this may be worth, I have a Scubapro BCD. It's much newer than yours but not new. It's a different design than yours but still a few years back needed some work on the corrugated hose gasket. My tech couldn't fix it (I don't remember why not) nor did he have a replacement in stock so he put in a new Zeagle hose. Has been working perfectly ever since and I much prefer it to the Scubapro original to the BCD.

Perhaps you could ask your dive op tech folk about that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom