Anti ScubaPro bias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I don't like about ScubaPro is when you walk into a ScubaPro dealer dive shop, and tell them you own something that isn't ScubaPro, the brainwashed technician or counter person looks at you in horror and plainly guarantees you that you are surely gonna die on your next dive because your "inferior, junky cheap" gear isn't ScubaPro
I'm sure the aqualung shop would do the same if he heard you were going to use a scubapro regulator. In his mind, you might as well already be dead. Since I've got an abundance of shops to choose from, that nonsense is entertaining to me. If I only had one option like you, I'm sure it would be super frustrating.

I know different people like different things. For example, my pickup truck isn't jacked up and clad with tires that cost more than my house, nor are the wheels decorated by enormous but functionless bolts around the rim to make it look manly. But some people's trucks are manly indeed, and are practically dripping with testosterone. Apart from that sort of thing, there are people who like something that works for them regardless of what it looks like, so they're happy with--for example--a computer in a beige metal box. I tend to like Apple's industrial design, so I have an Apple desktop. Still. (Plus, I like its particular functionality for music and video.)

Decades back when I OW certified, there was some really kludgy, ugly stuff on the market, like the gear US Divers was still making: black, clunky stuff that looked like it came out of an Army Navy surplus store somewhere. But there were also manufacturers going a different marketing direction, like SeaQuest and Tabata, and Tabata's ads by themselves were designed to be beautiful; also, clear silicone was coming in, and matching colors. Now, as I'm getting back into diving, I see that the tech gear is all looking very masculine and military and dark indeed, as befits such sober endeavors, but I'm surprised so much recreational gear has stayed that way. In particular, ScubaPro. So you have the jet fin, which definitely has a particular retro look, and is probably a classic design that will always work, which I respect, but it is aesthetically unpleasing, at least for my tastes. And the company seems to have not budged from basing its industrial design on that sort of look. I mean, going back to fins, even the Mares move from Power Planas being an epic recreational fin to a tech fin involved making a fin that looks good. I go into a ScubaPro shop and think I'm in the 1950's. If all other things are approximately equal (in terms of functionality), how long is ScubaPro going to keep looking old before the company starts getting, well, old?

A couple of weeks ago I was at Troy Spring, about to do a dive and the guy gearing up next to me was all SP. He was all in black and I'm in my tie-dyed t-shirt. He turned to his buddy and casually suggested that He can easily tell the serious divers from the doffers just by what they wear. I got the idea that I was supposed to hear his comment. Dive and let dive, I just got ready. After the dive, he comes by the van, and is seriously impressed. He then wanted to know how I "dive like that"? I have no idea what he's referring to, the fact I don't wear neoprene or something else. It was the "something else", and while he didn't look all that bad in the water, he wasn't a caver. Then the conversation went to the fact that I have little matching gear that I wear. It came back to "fit and comfort" for me. I wear what I wear, because it works and feels good. I wore Jets for decades because they were the most comfortable fin for me. The Batfins were even more comfortable, and the Deep 6 are incredibly so.

Just because you pick a different brand, doesn't make you anti-anything. I am simply pro-Fit & Comfort. That's all.

61892296_2402675746429998_4279110397002252288_n.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was at Troy Spring, about to do a dive and the guy gearing up next to me was all SP. He was all in black and I'm in my tie-dyed t-shirt. He turned to his buddy and casually suggested that He can easily tell the serious divers from the doffers just by what they wear. I got the idea that I was supposed to hear his comment. Dive and let dive, I just got ready. After the dive, he comes by the van, and is seriously impressed. He then wanted to know how I "dive like that"? I have no idea what he's referring to, the fact I don't wear neoprene or something else. It was the "something else", and while he didn't look all that bad in the water, he wasn't a caver. Then the conversation went to the fact that I have little matching gear that I wear. It came back to "fit and comfort" for me. I wear what I wear, because it works and feels good. I wore Jets for decades because they were the most comfortable fin for me. The Batfins were even more comfortable, and the Deep 6 are incredibly so.

Just because you pick a different brand, doesn't make you anti-anything. I am simply pro-Fit & Comfort. That's all.

Many years ago, on an organized group dive trip, as I approached the boat after walking up the dock, the trip organizer attempted to embarrass me by calling out, "Chilly, none of your dive gear matches!" I replied "I came to dive, not to do a fashion show".:p

I love me some tie dye

The guy may have been brainwashed at his LDS. I know when I first started out the instructor pushed for all the gear to come from the same manufacturer or else you will look bad. Go figure.

When I got my first set of gear the only option was ScubaPro. I got my SP MK V and 2 R109's. I still use the Mk V and one of the 109's. The other was replaced by a SP G250 when one of the 109's was leaky. I was told it was a bent cylinder. It doesn't matter. I got SP because it was what was available. It has never given me a problem. My original BCD was also a SP. I replaced it with another SP BCD with integrated weights. I picked SP because it was what was available. After using SP for 30+ years problem free, I would buy ScubaPro gear again. If someone thinks I shouldn't buy ScubaPro gear, they are welcome to buy the gear they think I should use and give it to me. I'll graciously accept it and use it.

Cheers -

The biggest gripe is that SP won’t sell parts to the end user, and they cost too much. But other companies won’t sell parts either. Then there’s the FPFL scandal. I never worried about it because I got wise and quit taking my stuff in every year whether it needed it or not.
I broke a purge cover on my G200B some years ago and went into my dive shop to see what they could do. After a lot of round and round with the SP rep they said that because I dropped out of the maintenance program they wouldn’t do anything for me except sell me a new $300 second stage. I said no thanks but the shop wouldn’t give me my stuff back until I paid them $8 for their trouble. ???
As soon as I got home I posted something on SB and had two covers headed my way in the mail for free, the brotherhood wouldn’t take any money.
The reason there is such angst with Scubapro is because their regs are legendary and very sought after but the company is run by a bunch of rotten corporate greed monsters.

Back
Top Bottom