Another Thing that bugs me about dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of taking the Crutchfield catalog into the stereo shop and asking them to match the price. They all refuse to even lower the price to come close to matching it.

one of my lds (which I DID NOT WANT TO USE in the 1st place, but Manuf asked me to use), charged me for return shipping on gear that DID NOT GET FIXED !!!!
dont know who is worse lds, or manuf ( at least they didnt charge me)

I have had the same experience, All gear has been right on the money with the big volume sellers ( a good merchant knows his competition) - nothing really cheaper, just the same price - no shipping charges and I drive home with it after having a tutorial if needed - plus lots of freebies that the vendors throw out and EXCELLENT service delivered on my schedule

I never played games - I told them at the beginning to give me your best and I will always be your customer and meant it - period - cherry picking erodes this buyer/seller bond

Plus no up-charge for chair, coffee and BS'ing

Sorry to hear there are so many poor operators out there

David

I live in a land locked state that has murky lakes, a few quarries, and cold winters. It's at least a ten to twelve hour drive to get to salt water or clear springs. Despite this we have four dive shops within a ten mile radius. They all charge msrp and if you haggle you can get 10% off maybe or something thrown in you don't really need. If one of them was like yours I'd be a loyal customer too but instead I hardly ever go to any of them. :shakehead:

I haven't been diving that long, but I move alot. So far I've associated with three dive shops. The first one I still go to for most of my stuff. He told me up front he would give me discounts but would throw in freebies and he's good to his word. But why do they ALL have dingy offspring answering the phones?

I bought a set or regs online from leisurepro but was unaware that they were not under warranty (i know now), so my LDS sold me regs at a matched price and also offered to pay to have the regs i bought online to be sent back.

This is why I prefer being able to "shop" on the internet. And "shop" doesn't necessarily mean I buy it online: but I like to be able to go through catalogues, look up reviews, compare prices, etc. This is why I'd like to see every single LDS post their products and prices online: this is how I like to shop. Until they can do this, I will probably buy most of my gear online because they are the only places where I can do a lot of shopping before diving.

Unfortunately until you get a good relationship with certain employees, you don't know if they're telling you the truth or trying to promote a sale. And in the middle of the store you don't have the resources of the internet to find out if what you're getting is a good deal, research the product, etc.

I had a dive shop go over my gear in 2 categories. What I bought from them and what I didn't buy from them.

Still dive with some of the guys from the shop but, haven't been back or spent 1 cent there.

And in the middle of the store you don't have the resources of the internet to find out if what you're getting is a good deal, research the product, etc.

The LDS that I go to has internet in the middle of the store that I have used to look up prices and get reviews.

I like to shop online, to compare, to get ideas, but mostly I give my LDS a chance, I don't demand price matching, but tell them ... I found this item at this price but I would rather I purchased it from you , what can you do for me .. I've found that they are willing to do that for most things, and even if I did not have some online store price to compare to, they have been generous in the discount I've gotten on my gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom