Another Thing that bugs me about dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now.. Why did you buy a $45 snorkle? We dont even take ours out with us. I would not trust any dive shop that let me buy a $45 snorkle when I am a total noob..

I brought it because I am a total noob and I didnt know what I needed or how much these items should cost. I trusted the dive shop, and to be honest I still trust them. The snorkle issue is a toss up as some on here wouldnt leave home with out it and some would.

I brought it because I am a total noob and I didnt know what I needed or how much these items should cost. I trusted the dive shop, and to be honest I still trust them. The snorkle issue is a toss up as some on here wouldnt leave home with out it and some would.

I think the issue is that a snorkel is a snorkel. It may be hard to validate a snorkel costing $45.

I think the issue is that a snorkel is a snorkel. It may be hard to validate a snorkel costing $45.
(in reply to this and other posts, not only this poster)
The issue is not the LDS. The Oceanic Ultra Dry Snorkel seems to sell everywhere for around that much. It is more advanced than a standard snorkel. I own this although it was part of a package, so I don't know how much I really "paid", but it retailed for about $45. Personally, I think it's more of a gimick (claim of no water getting in) than anything and not worth the extra $20. But it is a case of paying more for more advanced equipment, even if the more advanced equipment adds little practicle value (think Air-2). So overhyped equipment? yes. LDS ripping you off? no.

I got sucked into buying a high dollar ($42 or so) snorkel too. Impulse Dry Flex or some such thing. I was a goober. I suckered myself into buying it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't take long to think, "dumbass." Can't blame it on the LDS though.

My question is, if an LDS bothers some so much, then why go there? And if you don't go there, then why is it still bothering you so much??

I don't have any particular problem with any of our three local shops. They're all different in their own way. One is a sporting goods store that sells dive stuff (and rental operation, and a tech, etc.), the other two are dedicated diving shops. One is a GUE/DIR high-end oriented shop and has a boat. They all have different rental gear available. I've had classes from two of the shops - hope to take a class from the 3rd one next year (which will likely be my last diving class ever - I hope). I like them all in their own way. But they are all out to make money - nothing wrong with that at all. As long as one accepts this, takes ALL info with a grain of salt no matter who it comes from, and does due diligence, there is nothing wrong with an average LDS.

My biggest pet peeve is that every dive shop I have ever dealt with, except one, has epitomized complete disorganization. I mean - really. It's a miracle these guys can manage to stay in business. I dunno if there is something endemic to the dive op business itself, the types of personalities/people the dive business tends to attract, or what - I've never seen anything like it in any other industry. It's BAD man.

One thing I would add is about tax. We have no sales tax here, but if I lived someplace that DID have sales tax (god forbid), I would probably buy as much as I could on-line, just to avoid the tax. I might feel differently if I thought I actually got something worthwhile for my taxes, but as it is, I view it largely as money just completely pissed away. I'd reduce that to the greatest extent possible.FWIW, a store does NOT have to pass on sales tax to you. It merely has to pay the appropriate tax on its sales. Whether or not it passes through this tax to you or absorbs it as part of the cost of doing business is at its discretion.

Cheers!
nd

Kevin, I find the prices at your LDS amazing (you should name the shop) but if those are your circumstances then good for you. I can assure you the vast majority of divers in the country don't have a LDS whose prices are as low or lower than the internet dealers (else why the common whine about "internet pricing" putting the LDS out of business) whereas everyone in the country has access to the internet dealers.

Good to bring this thread back to life.

I agree - I'm tired of the opulent lifestyles lived by LDS owners: their fleet of BMW's and Mercedes, their huge mansions and holiday villas and their jet set lifestyles.

Maybe they could cut back some of their juicy profits?

Is your LDS expensive? Then why not start a dive shop yourself so you can wallow in wealth just like they do... :D

Of course not!

I used to help out at my local dive store - but I found quickly found out that I have no stomach for champagne and caviar, while the dancing girls used to keep me awake way past my bedtime...

Remember guys - price is everything, and cheaper is always best. :D

It's funny that over a lifetime of diving people will rack up tens of thousands in airfares, accommodation and food, but some will still complain that that they paid $100 more for a reg from their LDS compared to an internet warehouse.

I agree with almity - I see LDS as places to pop in and have a coffee or beer, chat and arrange dives. They are the nerve centres of any local diving community. Complaining that they dared to make a profit on a sale is being unpatriotic to your local diving community. Rather than whining on the internet about how much you can save on the internet why not go out and dive with them and other dive shops and clubs in the region.

I appreciate that some people love diving so much that they sacrifice their time and salary to run dive shops. :D

[please note I apologise for my strong language, but I'm ramping up to my 1000th post: which will be, as tradition demands, an unrestrained diatribe against some subject close to my heart]

Last edited:
Remember guys - price is everything, and cheaper is always best. :D

It's funny that over a lifetime of diving people will rack up tens of thousands in airfares, accommodation and food, but some will still complain that that they paid $100 more for a reg from their LDS compared to an internet warehouse.

I agree with almity - I see LDS as places to pop in and have a coffee or beer, chat and arrange dives. They are the nerve centres of any local diving community. Complaining that they dared to make a profit on a sale is being unpatriotic to your local diving community. Rather than whining on the internet about how much you can save on the internet why not go out and dive with them and other dive shops and clubs in the region.

Bingo.

Kevin, I find the prices at your LDS amazing (you should name the shop) but if those are your circumstances then good for you. I can assure you the vast majority of divers in the country don't have a LDS whose prices are as low or lower than the internet dealers (else why the common whine about "internet pricing" putting the LDS out of business) whereas everyone in the country has access to the internet dealers.

My LDS is The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough, NJ. I truly believe they are in business to make money like everyone else, but from what I have seen they are going to make money with repeat customers, great service, great prices and most of all knowledgable and friendly staff. Here is a link if anyone is interested as they also have an online shop. Learn To Dive Today

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom