Another Thing that bugs me about dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that drives me crazy is the attitude that if you buy something from another shop, you're being "disloyal". I am a poor college student, and if I can find something cheaper somewhere else, I'll go there b/c if I don't, I usually can't afford to get it at all. My gear has come from 4 different places. The bottom line is, it's MY money and no one has the right to tell me where I can or cannot spend it and they don't have the right to get offended if I choose not to spend it on their product b/c they're charging more than what it's worth.

Not to mention the fact that different shops carry different things. That happened to me when I purchased my first drysuit. The shop where I'd been doing my shopping up to that point didn't carry the suit I wanted ... so I got it from one that did. The owner of the first shop acted like I should've purchased one of the brands he carried instead.

I really don't get the "loyalty" thing ... that's like Safeway getting mad if you go buy a few groceries at Albertsons ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The thing that drives me crazy is the attitude that if you buy something from another shop, you're being "disloyal". I am a poor college student, and if I can find something cheaper somewhere else, I'll go there b/c if I don't, I usually can't afford to get it at all. My gear has come from 4 different places. The bottom line is, it's MY money and no one has the right to tell me where I can or cannot spend it and they don't have the right to get offended if I choose not to spend it on their product b/c they're charging more than what it's worth.

Well, just spend your money where you KNOW you can save. Now, no more hints. That's all i'm gonna say. Come and visit. It's been a while.

Phil Ellis

I dunno...I'm lucky also..my LDS is right in the ball park price wise, and a lot of times less expensive than the online places, as well as some of the BIG bricks and mortar shops (i.e. Divers Direct) AND I let them know it! (and I let them know I appreciate it!)

I have had the same experience, All gear has been right on the money with the big volume sellers ( a good merchant knows his competition) - nothing really cheaper, just the same price - no shipping charges and I drive home with it after having a tutorial if needed - plus lots of freebies that the vendors throw out and EXCELLENT service delivered on my schedule

I never played games - I told them at the beginning to give me your best and I will always be your customer and meant it - period - cherry picking erodes this buyer/seller bond

Plus no up-charge for chair, coffee and BS'ing

Sorry to hear there are so many poor operators out there

David

I just purchased a Z2 atomic from my LDS and the price could not be beat, even from the internet. Now that's a deal. I am lucky that the owner is so interested in getting someone into diving and then the newbie becomes a LDS supporter.

my shop of choice is the better of all worlds. thet allow me to spin around the net, find a real good price at a real internet retailer, then...THEY MATCH IT! i get the best price and i get to touch/play with stuff. Saguaro Sports

Saguaro Sports rocks. I've been to just about every dive shop in the Phoenix area and they are by far the best when it comes to customer service or just hanging out and swapping lies. They're always willing to help me out when I have a diving related question. And they will point me in the direction of another shop if they can't help me.

Steve.

my experience is that most divers consider the lds owner/manager as a friend

they hang out at the shop for hours, drinking coffee and talking

and then the diver wants to buy something... the lds owner still has to make a profit, pay the rent and pay for all that coffee youve been drinking and the chairs they provide to sit in for hours

so they do the 'special price, i'll look after you thing' and no they are not the cheapest.... but it pays for the coffee and the phone chats and the occasional free fill

the WORST thing my lds ever did was email me some drysuit data... including his wholesale price :D

u must live in utopia or naive !!!

The most ridiculous thing is how some manufacturers (ScubaPro) claim there is no warranty if you don't buy the thing at an approved dealer. Obviously they are selling to distributors and mail order companies like Scuba Toys and LeisurePro, and could stop the internet companies from selling their gear if they wanted, but if you buy from a website you get no warranty. Is that even legal?

Panamax, thats a bad example. Wal Mart has the lowest markup of any retailer in America other then 99 cents only stores. They also do far more volume then any dive shop. If Wal Mart sold dive gear they'd sell it for a few percent over the manufacturers cost. Better hope that Wal Mart never starts selling scuba gear!
MSRP is just that-SUGGESTED. For many/most items, it is at the high end of the range like cars and electronics. I'd prefer the good be priced up from the wholesale cost, not down from MSRP.
"People kill me with these thoughts that there should always be some kind of discount from msrp."

Price fixing is supposed to be illegal under antitrust laws in the US. I'm not sure how Apple Computer and dive gear manufacturers get away with it?
and with some of them the store is not allowed to sell below that price or face getting their dealership pulled

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom