Another Thing that bugs me about dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luckily my LDS is NOT like that. Nobody gets any special deals and nobody is a more valued customer than another. We all get ripped off equally.

That sucks, but at least you got onto Scubaboard while membership was free. We all had to pay $48.50. You got a special deal :14:
Aw, man. No fair! I had to pay $55.78 (including the tip).

Luckily my LDS is NOT like that. Nobody gets any special deals and nobody is a more valued customer than another. We all get ripped off equally.
I've encouraged friends to try to support their LDS, but stand-up to them on the issue of reasonable price matching. That is, find the reg, computer, whatever on Scubatoys, print off the description and price, then go to the LDS and say: "Look I want to support my local shop and depend on you for service - but at this price!" If the owner gets upset, head for the door and the phone book. If this is too bold for you, pretend you're me. :silly:

Honestly, a good one will appreciate that approach. If they don't, get it over with now and find the good one. Or call Scubatoys. :wink:

My LDS has sold my few items to me below internet list, after shipping it is almost always a better deal. That being said. there are not a lot of items that I do not have or need. I feel well outfitted as is so my general needs have been instruction, maintenance and gas. I know I'm getting a good deal on these. All depends on the shop.

I'm not to bothered by my lds, I am an idiot.

What, you HAVE to pay for scubaboard now? Good thing I got my t-shirt, too.

I've encouraged friends to try to support their LDS, but stand-up to them on the issue of reasonable price matching. That is, find the reg, computer, whatever on Scubatoys, print off the description and price, then go to the LDS and say: "Look I want to support my local shop and depend on you for service - but at this price!" If the owner gets upset, head for the door and the phone book. If this is too bold for you, pretend you're me. :silly:

Honestly, a good one will appreciate that approach. If they don't, get it over with now and find the good one. Or call Scubatoys. :wink:

You know what? I don't know why I never thought of that. That might honestly be a good approach. I've heard other customers quote internet prices in this particular LDS and the owners basically said there was no way, it was impossible and that they didn't believe it. I'm willing to give this a try. I'll be very professional and courteous. Hopefully they don't get too upset because I'm gonna need air fills!

You know what? I don't know why I never thought of that. That might honestly be a good approach. I've heard other customers quote internet prices in this particular LDS and the owners basically said there was no way, it was impossible and that they didn't believe it. I'm willing to give this a try. I'll be very professional and courteous. Hopefully they don't get too upset because I'm gonna need air fills!
Yep, print it out, tell them you want to be supportive of your LDS and air station, so you might be willing to pay a little more than this, but not a lot more. But then I don't use mine for fills - that does cast a different slant on things at times... :eyebrow:

One of the local dive shops I patronize likes to pretend that I am getting a special deal. Typical, "PADI just raised the price on the Dive Master manual, but for you its still $50." The reality is that I am a careful shopper. I know what the market price is for what I am buying and I know that I am overpaying by a few bucks verses what I could buy the same item online. I make a conscious decision to over pay a little bit to help build the relationship. I don't like being treated like an idiot.

I mentioned one shop that goes over the top telling me that whatever it is is a great deal, but it seems like a typical trait.

Just shop on the internet, everyone is treated the same!

Just shop on the internet, everyone is treated the same!

ahhh but can the internet help you when you are about to leave town tomorrow and oops I need a spare "___________________(insert your item here)". Of course not but your friendly LDS can! :blinking:

Aw, man. No fair! I had to pay $55.78 (including the tip).

I paid $44.80 - even - just yesterday; fortunately I recently came to "see the light" about tipping on another recent thread.

:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom