Another Thing that bugs me about dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhh but can the internet help you when you are about to leave town tomorrow and oops I need a spare "___________________(insert your item here)". Of course not but your friendly LDS can! :blinking:

Well, paying an outrageous price at an LDS would certainly help you remember to plan ahead better next time, wouldn't it? :D

Good reputable dive shops don't need to be "prodded" into taking care of their regular customers.
My shop treats regular customers like they are important, does not try to hit home runs and will tell a customer to buy something somewhere else if the price disparity is too great.
Shop has been successfully in bussiness for 20+ years.

Well, paying an outrageous price at an LDS would certainly help you remember to plan ahead better next time, wouldn't it? :D

Say, is the company you are employed by in business to make a profit or no?:confused:

it's the manufacturers that set the suggested retail price so everyone is on an "even playing field" and with some of them the store is not allowed to sell below that price or face getting their dealership pulled.

But .. thay can sell you other things at a discount to help make up for that

Mine has been good , will price match when they can, and besides, I don't mind paying a bit more for stuff because I want it now

ScubaBoard Stickers ... you should see what I had to pay to get those! :wink: :D

Sometimes the comparison is misleading. If I were to walk into my LDS and show them the "price" of an item that I can buy online, they may not be able to match it. Considering other factors in my area, such as the cost of shipping, duty, taxes the full cost is different. The delta may be so small as to be inconsequential, and I do get a good discount because I am a DM with the shop.

Unfortunately we do not have as wide a selection of internet shops available. There also used to be consideration for the exchange rate, but that is less of a consideration lately.

it's the manufacturers that set the suggested retail price so everyone is on an "even playing field" and with some of them the store is not allowed to sell below that price or face getting their dealership pulled.

I'm pretty sure this line is trotted out fairly often by LDS owners who have no wish to compete, but the Real truth is price isnt the ONLY way for them to make the sale.

- store cred.
- discounted/free rentals
- discounted/free air fills
- discounted specialty instruction
- discounted store-sponsored trips

there are Many ways that the LDS owner COULD get closer to that Online number IF he wanted to.
Some dont Want to compete... they'll continue to charge double (or more) and guilt you into paying that inflated price.
Its their sale to lose (or win)... only question is if they'll Try.

I'm pretty sure this line is trotted out fairly often by LDS owners who have no wish to compete, but the Real truth is price isnt the ONLY way for them to make the sale.

No, that's the way it REALLY is.

- store cred.
if you aren't happy with what you bought bring it back, we'll give
you store credit or an exchange:wink:

- discounted/free rentals
Uh the rental gear that the store had to fork out $$ for doesn't come to them for free.

- discounted/free air fills
Compressor costs the store $$ to keep in good running order, not to mention they are expensive to purchase

- discounted specialty instruction
let's see books cost the store $$, have to pay the instructor who in turn has to pay for dues and insurance.

- discounted store-sponsored trips
we have a trip going now that costs less than if you tried to book it yourself. if it's a better rate than what someone can book on their own then isn't that a discount in itself?

there are Many ways that the LDS owner COULD get closer to that Online number IF he wanted to.
Some dont Want to compete... they'll continue to charge double (or more) and guilt you into paying that inflated price.
Its their sale to lose (or win)... only question is if they'll Try.

did you really put alot of thought into this post before posting?
On one hand you want EVERYTHING (or so it seems gear, trips, instruction, fills anything else??) for free or at discounted rates but also want to get stuff from the internet instead of the LDS. I know this subject has been beat to death but the internet dude who sells stuff out of his garage has no overhead so yeah he can sell it for less. You can't get airfills from the internet, you can't get classes from the internet (except for eLearning) no check out dives. You want to spend your dollars somewhere else (internet) but when you walk into the LDS you want them to give you everything for a discount? Why? because you don't think they are entitled to make profit? does that offend you in some way? (they DO have expenses too)

I have been on both sides. I used to be you until I found out just how much expense it takes to run a dive shop. I am not an owner, just an instructor. Our shop is competitive, we treat ALL our customers equally as good, we have specials that I think are way too low but it's not my call on pricing. Too bad you don't live in the area and you could come in and see that I'm not making that up.

Oh well, everyone will believe what they want no matter what I say and true not all LDS are created equally. I'll get off my soap box now and move on....

Happy & Safe Diving!! :D

to add - I think the reason this peeves me off is the "lumping together" all LDS, good ones and the ones as you say "trying to guilt you into paying double". If you feel that ABC Scuba Shop doesn't treat you right then don't shop there, but don't go on the board and say they're all the same cause they're not.

:D

:huh:

so ... you dont EVER give ANY discount for ANY reason, to ANYONE .. ever

good thing my LDS doesnt agree :)

I just want them to try to give me a good deal, it doesn't have to be the same deal as online .. I want to buy from them, and I tell them so .. and I have, to the tune of thousands of dollars worth

Say, is the company you are employed by in business to make a profit or no?:confused:

Coincidentally enough, no, I work for a non-profit. :D

But, when I did work for a "regular" company, yes, they were looking to make a profit. But you don't make a profit by ripping people off, giving them poor service, and making them deal with an attitude every time the step through the door. I'm sure there are some good dive shops out there. Personally, I'm sick and tired of trying to find one so I'll just continue to buy my stuff online for half the price. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom