Another Plea to SBers Visiting Cozumel! (Coz Humane Society)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deborah,

I understand why Americans go overseas to adopt children...because of the very limited supply available in the U.S.

I don't understand why an American would adopt a cat or dog from Mexico....certainly there's a very abundant supply at their local SPCA.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just curious.

Ron

kwinter - Sorry I didn't know it was full. SB emailed me about it. OK to send a PM now.
NJones - Thanks. I'll check with Teresa and see what she needs.
Ron - You're absolutely correct - plenty of critters in shelters close to home (where ever that may be). It just happens that some visitors decide the pet they want is the one that they met here. Some of the dogs that the Coz shelter receives -- usually abandoned, lost and unclaimed, or severely mistreated pets -- are not suited to life in the tropics and we like to get those to cooler climates one way or another. In Canada, very high fees and the hassle the shelters put people through discourages adoptions and many people there adopt from private rescue centers. Animals from this area -- especially kittens & puppies, which we always have in abundance -- are sent by request to specific rescue groups in Vancouver, Edmonton & Toronto who receive few locally-born & highly-desired youngsters. Also, through association with the International Fund for Animal Welfare, many adult & special-needs animals have been sent to the US to live comfortably at private shelters & veterinary centers. Of course, the HS volunteers are doing everything we can to educate the public here about pet sterilization and we regularly trap, neuter & release stray cats in an attempt to reduce reproduction. And we encourage everyone, everywhere, to adopt shelter animals. Hope this all makes sense to you!

Deborah,

I understand why Americans go overseas to adopt children...because of the very limited supply available in the U.S.

I don't understand why an American would adopt a cat or dog from Mexico....certainly there's a very abundant supply at their local SPCA.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just curious.

Ron
Ok, I have certainly wondered but could never bring myself to ask. Glad you did :thumb: and thanks Deb for explaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom