Another Newbie with lots of questions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was the Pineapple/habenero hot sauce ..... Alan tried it (and loved it!!) - I'm a wimp .... we were just doing the weekend drive around thing, checking out the dive shops - it was before we got certified, so it would have been the summer ...... small world!! So maybe I really did see you there! Anyway, hopefully we'll meet at a Swamp thing, or just at the lake one day - you never know!!

We'e off to Balmorhea in the morning - of course we pick the weekend when a huge cold front comes in ...... if I survive, I'll catch you all Mondy night or Tuesday!! :)

and it was great to get wet!! Can't say the same for the temp or weather - got there Friday afternoon and it was already in the 40's, cloudy, windy & cold. Did a twilight dive - had the entire place to ourselves. The fish & the turtles must have been bored, we were swarmed non stop. Made friends with a turtle that wanted to go nose to nose with me - guess he was ticked I didn't have any food! Water temp was a balmy 75, but by the time we got out I think the air temp was into the 30's - the only other divers we met (from San Antonio) had 10 of their group cancel the trip, and the 2 that came decided to wait till Sat afternoon to give it a shot in hopes it would warm up. Friday night there was snow a bit further up the mountains. Sat morning we gave it another go, the air was just as cold, so again we had the pool to ourselves - it was terrific. By the time we got out, divers had appeared from all over (NM, Dallas, SA, etc) and the parking lot was filling up quick. We were real glad we got our dives in before the classes started up - must have been extremely crowded by the looks of things.

Have to say it must have been a heck of a long drive for you South Swampers that went in Feb ..... it seemed to take forever from Austin! Just wish we had water that clear closer!!:)

Kat....the weather sounds colder than what we had in February! Getting out was the worse part.

It was a long 10hr drive from here but after San Antonio we enjoyed the scenery. I suppose even that would get boring after a few trips. We'll go again but I'm sure it won't be a real regular outing.

Thanks again for the flip-flips!

Cold is an understatement!! :cold: Saturday night it hit 29 ......... the upside was no moon, no clouds - so the stars were amazing!! Did the Stargazing Party at MacDonald Observatory and it was a blast. There was still snow from the night before on the ground.

Drive took us 7 hours, and since it was the first time out that way since driving in from CA years ago, it was interesting. Coming back we stopped for killer bar-b-que in Junction - which always improves a drive!!

Flip-flops went out today via UPS ... let me know if they arrive ok.
:D :

The drive is the worst part.. Nothing to see for a couple hours besides mesquite bushes....

I miss the Sunsets and sunrises from West Texas though...(not that far west but still)
Those are the most beautiful/romanitcal...

Kat-so worth doing agian or is it the "been there done that, NEXT" kind of thing?

Well I wouldn't go frequently - but I think we'd do it again. We'd like to go next time - start at the higher elevation and camp at Davis Mountain State Park, then when we come down, go ahead an do a bit of diving at Balmorhea. The camping sites at Balmorhea are pretty dreary - no trees and right on the side of the highway, and the motel is okay, but not much better. It's good for a night, that way you can get a few dives in, and then head home ...... just going to MacDonald Observatory was well worth the drive ..........:)

On our trip there, we talked about doing a 4-5 day trip at some point in the future, arriving Friday afternoon (dive), use Saturday to see the Davis Mtns., etc., then dive Sunday afternoon and maybe Monday.

We stayed at the State Park Motel. It wasn't fancy, but with the kitchens, it was actually kind of nice. However, camping sounds like the way to go.

I really like the motel room we had at the park. Small kitchenete was very nice, comfy beds, handy location. Yeah..I'd like to go back before the West Texas weather gets really hot.

But on the other hand, for the same amount of drive time, we can be diving the wrecks in Panama City, Florida!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom