Another Newbie with lots of questions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth once bubbled...
...also Dee you forgot the jimmy buffet music the three main things that divers especially from texas like

Well Toothy....I thought that went without saying! Doesn't every Texas diver have all his lyrics memorized?!?!

You guys are too funny!! (Or sick - I haven't determined which yet!!) I think I need to wait till I get home from work to review all the terrific (???) information provided ...... and respond to the numbered items of qualification for TSDT membership ....... or change my name and move to another state to go diving!!!:D

But if you changed your name and moved out of state, you couldn't get one of the cool TSDT t-shirts!

Only the best people will be wearing them.

Welcome, and hope to see you at TL sometime.

Kat,

Try diving the gulf.

Lots of fun!

Summer's almost here.

DO'NT DELAY.
PM me.

TEX

OK - finally home from work and have a minute to review whether I can qualify for TSDT membership ..... it may be tough .... so let me know!! :eek:ut:

Second, the selection process for membership to TSDT is quit stringent.
1 Do you have an un-natural fear of snakes you can’t identify?
I can't identify ANY snakes - so I guess you should ask the snake if he has an un-natural fear of a crazy person chasing him with a bat, golf club, garden rake .... what ever I can find ...
2. Does diving in goo that glows in the dark cause you concern?
Would probably be cool - as long as it was a night dive!!
3. Does diving in visibility equal to a closet with the lights out cause your pulse to rise?
This sounds like my cert classes in Lake Travis - a good day was 8' a bad day for 4' - initially I was more worried about blue water diving and actually being able to see! (Of course I got over that fast ...)
4. Do you find diving in 60-degree water with shorts and a t-shirt refreshing?
Sorry but NO, NO & NO. I love cold weather (dare I say it, but I'm a transplanted Yankee) but I don't love cold water ...........
5. Do you volunteer to bring the beer at a dive outings?
Haven't had the opportunity .... the LDS guy we dove with brought the beer for the Sunday morning dive (okay - I guess we're sacrilegious too...)
6. Do you drink the last beer after a dive and complain because it’s not your brand? Think closely about numbers 5 & 6 before you answer. They are critical to the process.
If someone else is bringing, I'm not complaining - I'm not THAT stupid!
7. Do you enjoy carrying tanks?
Okay - this goes with #4 - NO, NO - Emphatically NO - again - do I seem stupid??
8. Do you freak out when BlueGills bite your ears? (or other exposed parts?)
Well here IS my stupidity showing - never heard of a BlueGill ..... but I think I would burst out laughing (which would not be good under water ...) unless they really take a good bite!
9. How's your navigational skills?
I don't think they're great, but I shocked the heck out of my DI when I found the "lost" object on my Search & Recovery dive on the first sweep.
10. Do you like Mexican Food?
I hate to be repetitive here, but do I seem stupid? Who the heck lives in TX and doesn't love Mexican food? Isn't that grounds for being expelled from the state??

So, now that I've written a book in response - how did I do? Think I might be able to qualify?? Or do I need to give up diving, slink out of Tx and move to Montana or somewhere remote??? Let me know!!:D

Kat,
From the looks of the "numbered items of qualification" on careful review It seems bring beer and food and you would be welcome..but I am not sure because i am not a TSDT member myself, just how Perfection doesn't exist, neither does normality.....

~If the mysterious Central texas Swamp team section comes out and does a dive I would consider asking to go along myself...

Before the summer is over you'll think that 4' IS the Caribbean.

It's only the white-mouth stinky snakes you have to worry about and they seldom work on weekends!

The beer itself actually isn't as important as a cooler of cold water on a hot 100º+ day!

We can work on your tank carrying skills....you ARE a rookie ya know!

We can also work on your fish ID skills...Blue gills, Sun Perch, Hardheads, and Stripers will head your studies.

I think you'll pass if you study and apply yourself! :Rofl: Welcome to the Swamp!

:) Hey SquintyPete ..... I agree ... where is the mysterious Central Swamp group?? Seems like the South guys are the lively bunch!! It would be nice to make contact with others in our immediate area ....

:) Dee - still haven't figured out the "white mouth stinky snakes" item .... but I'm not giving up yet! And I'm sure the "beer itself actually isn't as important" may have a few disagreeing with you (at least from the sounds of this bunch!!) Tank carrying skills - I'm only 5'4" so it's a bit hard to get the leverage (along with a car accident that did wonders for my back) but I ALWAYS carry my own tanks, and help out with anything else that needs to be hauled when with a group. I don't want to be branded one of those sissy woman that try to get the guys to do everything!! As to fish - know we have perch & catfish in Lake Travis, haven't seen much else. I guess I need to study up on this one!!

I am really looking forward to meeting up with all you Swampers .... we'll have to get brave and join up on one of the planned dives you organize .....:)

TwoBit .... thanks for the thread link ..... looks like it may be lots of fun and a good time to meet a bunch of Swampers .... will have to see how things go. Alan & I are going to Miami/Keys area to dive 5/10-5/20. So far it looks like your dates are pretty firm for 5/31-6/1 so we might have enough time to recover from our trip and head out again, but we don't have a lick of camping gear anymore ..... I'll keep an eye on that thread for updates ....
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom