Another "Help me build my GoPro rig" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, bear in mind that if you run it continuously at 4K you ‘may’ find it runs hot and you get fogging/condensation issues, even with the Condensation tabs, so resist the urge to keep it rollin’ Rollin’ rollin’ for a full dive.

There is a dude on eBay who makes ‘v’ trays. I bought the package from Backscatter with solas and then the eBay v one when I bought the macromate mini. I thing the v one was around 100 bucks. It’s a good one. Have fun :) it’s addictive :)

Definitely put a few anti-fog pads in the housing... should take care if any heat induced fogging while filming 4k.

As far as the filters, it's still probably a decent investment.... if you're less than 30' and filming fish above a reef on a sunny day, the lights won't do much, so save their batteries and use the filter. Check out my post in this forum for a comparison of with and without the Shallow filter at 9.7m.

The tray looks decent, but you might want a wider one later on. Personally, I feel a wider tray is a bit more stable. But either way, the tray is pretty much the cheapest component to change out, so feel free to experiment.

Nice setup! I hope you enjoy and get some awesome footage! Just don't get too lost in filming and forget your buddy :wink:

:cheers:

One thing you may want to consider is just using one of the filters on the flip system. From what I remember, they have a shallow filter, a dive filter (around 20 to 50 ft.) and the deep filter. I found the shallow filter to be useless. In water less than 20 ft you likely won't even need a filter. I used the deep filter once or twice but didn't notice any real difference between that and the dive filter. I think you are going to find if you want to use a filter, the dive filter will work just fine for pretty much all your needs when you decide to use one.

Interesting, I've had different results. I find the shallow filter to improve colors dramatically at depths of 20' up to around 60', and the darker red "dive" filter to make things too red at shallow to mid depth, and "deep" filters to be too dark. At deeper depths I use lights anyway.

Here's a short video shot with a Hero 4, no lights at a depth of 27' showing Shallow Filter -->>No Filter -->> Dive Filter.

Thank you for all of the tips guys.

Interesting, I've had different results. I find the shallow filter to improve colors dramatically at depths of 20' up to around 60', and the darker red "dive" filter to make things too red at shallow to mid depth, and "deep" filters to be too dark. At deeper depths I use lights anyway.

Here's a short video shot with a Hero 4, no lights at a depth of 27' showing Shallow Filter -->>No Filter -->> Dive Filter.

Agreed, check my footage here without any post processing...

And here with just a touch of Magenta correction in Premiere Pro's Fast Color Corrector....

Now using a Hero 7 w/Supersuit, INON Wide-Lens, twin INON 3100 lights and an INON tray/arm system. Love it! Fantastic results in low vis as the lens focus/depth of field is .4 in. to infinity. Color is amazing and clarity at 4K, 60fps is unbelievable. (Can you tell I kinda like my system?) M

View attachment 519697
View attachment 519698

That looks awesome, and is leading to one of my main questions - about the distance between the lights and the camera. You seem to have almost 2 ft from the lens to the lights. Why so far? Why is it better to get the lights farther away?

Is this to get the lights from the "side" so there's less backscatter than you would have if the light and lens are side by side? Or is there some other effect going on here?

That looks awesome, and is leading to one of my main questions - about the distance between the lights and the camera. You seem to have almost 2 ft from the lens to the lights. Why so far? Why is it better to get the lights farther away?

Is this to get the lights from the "side" so there's less backscatter than you would have if the light and lens are side by side? Or is there some other effect going on here?

I've aways had my lights "high and outside" on both still and video systems. Backscatter limiting is the main reason for me. I point 'em so the subject is just inside the edge of the light "circle" (if you will) on both sides. Plenty of light and nothing to reflect back particulate toward the lens. My 2psi. I'm sure others have different configurations and reasons. ?

Reducing backscatter is the #1 reason for mounting lights far off center from your camera's FOV.

The #2 benefit is better modeling. If a subject is light directly straight on, the light tends to have a flattening effect. Highlights and Shadows are your friends for attractive photos/videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom