Another "Help me build my GoPro rig" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unwantedsn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I'm taking my 1st LOB in June on Blackbeard. I'm going to take my GoPro 6 but would like some feedback on how to set it up better.
Here's what I'm currently working with:
GoPro Hero 6 with a SuperSuit
Movo GB-U70 Underwater Diving Rig = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734772HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Suptig Underwater 84 LED light (they claim 5000lux) = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BY7127G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used this setup in our local quarry with mixed results, at some points the footage is good, and others its downright miserable.
Here's what I know im going to need to do.
Filters - I'm thinking of going with the backscatter flip7.
Ugh, that's about all that I'm kinda sure on..
The more I think about it, it looks like the flip filter might hit the tray, so I might be looking for a different tray, but the prices on those very so I'm not sure.
Also lighting, I think I need more light, so would it be better to grab another one of those Suptigs, or get something to replace the current light, go with 2 lights, get the lights out further?
I'm leaning towards just starting from scratch, but thought I would reach out to you and see what you think. I don't want to spend a ton, but I'd rather buy once / cry once. Budget would be around $300 or so. So what does SB think?

The one thing I can tell you is that if you have good video lights, you will not need filters. When shooting with the GoPro you have two options.

1. Use filters to bring back colors such as a red filter in blue water and a magenta filter in green water.

2. Use video lights to allow the natural colors to come out.

I used to use filters and now I am using two 5000 lumen video lights from Orcatorch.

I'd go with two lights as far apart as you can get them. Keep in mind lights only improve things for a few meters/yards.

I'm not a fan of filters. I've had better luck adjusting color in post processing. Filters cut light down; they don't add red light, they cut down other colors.

Good luck!

I'm not sure I did the math right, but 5000 lux in a unit that size is only about 80 lumens. FWIW, I use twin sea dragon lights at 2500 lumens each.

How much are you willing to spend?

I'm not sure I did the math right, but 5000 lux in a unit that size is only about 80 lumens. FWIW, I use twin sea dragon lights at 2500 lumens each.

How much are you willing to spend?

Ideally would be under $300, but I can come up a bit if it makes sense.

You've gotten some good advice already. I would emphasize that with your current configuration of having the light immediately adjacent to the camera is going to light up every particle in the water. Spreading the light sources furter away and lighting more from a side angle will make a huge difference.

We offer a tray, arms and video light solution.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Two-Handle-Camera-Tray-p/m2htct.htm

Could you spend around $420 in total. That would get you a killer system.

Could you spend around $420 in total. That would get you a killer system.
Not sure I could swing, that but what are you referring to?

PM Sent.

Back
Top Bottom