Another Cozumel noob looking for advice from the regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the pangas, doing backrolls sounds more manageable for me than giant strides - don't have to stand up with the gear on. My only issue is that I'll have to de-gear in the water as I probably shouldn't try to climb the ladder with the tank on my back. But most of the time I've dove off pangas or zodiaks (Bali, La Bufadora, French Polynesia), they had everyone shed gear in the water before climbing up anyway. Is that the standard practice in Coz?

From what I've seen, heard and experienced, removing gear in the water is standard on small boats in Cozumel. Even if it wasn't, any decent op would be more than happy to make this accommodation for you.

Diving with steel limits you to three or possibly 4 ops on the island. They are Aldora, Living Underwater and Liquid Blue and one other whose name escapes me. I have dived with the latter two as, like you, I prefer steel tanks. My dive op of choice is Living Underwater. You will be diving with the owner/operator for onboard quality control. We dive as a loose group, and I generally bring up the rear as I like to photograph without a lot of people around me. Nitrox available for both 95 and 120 cf tanks. I use a 95 generally. Jeremy has a roomy, well-maintained boat and as others have said, he goes very slowly and you will get very long bottom times. I've seen him working with divers with a range of disabilities and on occasion, a diver has entered the water without tanks/BCD and they are handed to the diver to don in the water. Then remaining divers get in. All divers remove BCDs and pass to crew through a small removeable door at the front of the boat upon surfacing and before getting back on the boat. Living Underwater is less expensive than Aldora and Liquid Blue but more expensive than just about all other ops on the island. But you will be pampered beyond belief.

As for accommodation, since you are thinking about "in town" (which is where I live), may I suggest Baldwin's Bed and Breakfast. It is owned by friends of mine. They are fabulous hosts, very fun and will entertain your mother (and you, when you are back from diving) with stories, trip suggestions etc. etc. They have a lovely, huge yard and pool. Taxis are very inexpensive (a couple of bucks) anywhere in town from/to where they live. And Kathy makes a killer breakfast. Rooms are lovely, beds are the most comfortable I've found anywhere on the island, and the place is spotless as Kathy is very picky about this. I've never heard of anyone who has not had a great time there. The only problem might be that they come back to Canada for the summer to visit their grandchildren. So they might be closed. If that is the case, Kathy knows all the B&B folks on the island and could suggest a reasonable fascimile. One place I looked at (just out of curiosity) is 6 rooms or so that have just been re-done above Guido's Restaurant (same owners). They are Swiss, the restaurant is posh and pricey but excellent food and service. The rooms are fabulous and have full kitchens. They are oceanfront (on the main drag) but no beach or pool. There's another kicker with this one and it could be availability. Only 6 rooms and very popular with Europeans.

Hope this helps. Send me a message if you'd like more info about diving with Living Underwater as I have done a few hundred dives with Jeremy and know his operation well.

Based on many years of experience, and many stays there, you cannot beat the Presidente, except in price. Maybe the nicest aspect for non divers( but beach lovers) is the easy access calm water lagoon which is not the case at most other Cozumel hotels. It is also close enough to town to minimize taxi fares. Second choice, price being an issue is the Playa Azul in the North which also has a nice real beach.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

LU's boat is a panga style just a bit bigger. 8-pak is more appropriate. Plenty of room and you can easily stand up to save your back. LU's boat has a cover so you get shade and something to hang onto. Most of the panga style boats in Cozumel have covers however a few don't. I recall now it does have a side "door" where gear can be passed more easily in and out especially to don in the water if you want. I would definitely contact the ops listed in this thread and let them know what you want. I am sure you will get quick and honest responses. The ops mentioned in this thread all have good reputations.

Welcome to the COZ board LeeAnne.:grinbandit:
Good advice from folks so far. Palace is a very nice place, plus close to town for dining.
If you do a search you will find lots of information on restaurants in town. There are so many good places to eat and that's why you may want to consider not going AI.
there are also quite a few good dive ops and everyone here has their favorites. Aldora gets good reviews and for good reason. If you like steel (and who doesn't), they have em. aldora will be at the scubashow next week and you can talk to them there.
I like the Blue Angel, but for your mom you would need a room on the first floor. Their dive op uses AL80, and I don't have a problem with that as I can squeeze out 60+ minutes on a tank. You will definately enjoy the diving there. It is drift diving, warm water, great VIS, great restaurants, laid back atmosphere, great beer (Victoria), and Margaritas that are, :cool3:well, think Wet Wendys. Anyway, I am sure you'll get tons of tips. I just bought my airfare last night, got an excellent price from LAX (now is the time to buy). See ya next week:goingdown:

I have climbed my gear up the ladder on many a small boat but it's usually an option so if you want to remove it in the water, no problem. It's safer I think, the skippers are great, and they work for tips so go for it. Now bouncing on waves in a small boat to the southern sites is another issue, but if you prefer a larger boat, slower, roomy - you can discuss this with the Op and possibly still remove gear in the water. It's really a good idea in avoiding DCS too.

Some Ops like ScubaMau also take care of your gear after diving, toting it to the shop, rinsing and storing, have it back on the boat for you when expected. I think you'd want one that does that as well.
I didn't realize there were so many great options for excellent dining in town. Rethinking the accommodations strategy...
Yeah, Coz is great for dining, but AI is so convenient; there is appeal to both. The dinners do get a little boring, but the price difference on AI (some packages give you a choice of yay or nay) is so little that many do AI for the breakfasts, lunches, drinks & snacks, then skip the free buffet and go into town for dinner - or not if they don't feel like a cab ride that night. Now the best beaches are at the southern resorts which would be a lonnng & pricey cab ride but some hotel like Hotel Cozumel are close to or in town, have plenty of action around the pool, etc.

I'm leery of that Palace $1500 credit. It seems like it's a way to charge more then hope you don't use all of the credits.

Air fare from LAX to CZM is very pricey on that Friday or Saturday of course, but cheap if you leave on a Sunday: $419 RT :thumb:

Or I often find better deals on Air & Hotel packages, especially using 100vacation code on Orbitz to save $100, or one of the other codes on CheapCaribbean. Looking at that Sunday for 7 nights...

Hotel Coz and air would be cheaper with 2 connections but yuck at that. You want to get there, so with 1 connection: $735 each after discount including taxes, free breakfasts, $50 is credits.

Fiesta Americana AI and air, again rejecting 2 connections: $889 each after discount

Cozumel Palace AI and air: $1478 each after discount :shakehead:

And there are lots more options.

Hey Dennis! Fancy seeing you here! :) Good to know that I have a dive buddy with Coz knowledge. When are you going? See you Thursday!

All - I cannot thank you enough for all the great advice! This is a VERY welcoming forum. I have posted similar questions in other locale forums, and been hit with irritated "read the stickies and search for pete's sake" and "oh god not another 'tell me where to go' thread". Y'all clearly love Coz, and don't mind sharing your knowledge. I can't wait to experience it myself! This trip is still not a sure thing...I'm waiting to hear if my husband has been accepted as a crew member aboard a sailboat in Transpac (a famous sailboat race from LA to Hawaii). If he's going on Transpac, I'm going to Coz! It's looking pretty good so far...should know in a few days.

I'm leaning towards LU - I like what I'm hearing and reading, and in particular that they've worked with disabled divers before (I HATE being dependent, but oh well...it is what it is, and I refuse to let it slow me down). I like the looks of their boat too. Here's a question: what is the usual duration of a boat ride to the best dive sites? Is it hard slog pounding over waves? Or an easy skim? I'm a little concerned about any spine-pounding slogs - I remember when we did the Blue Hole in Belize, 2 solid hours of pounding just about pulverized my kidneys, and that could be dangerous for my back right now.

Accommodations are still up in the air - I'm still leaning towards one of the big resorts, only because I think my Mom will enjoy it. Presidente is at the top - yeah it ain't cheap, but I'm not leaving any money for my kids when I die (let 'em earn their own) and I work hard all year so I don't mind splurging on my vacations. And do love to pamper Mom. But I also love the B&B experience. More research ahead for me - at least now I have a direction to head.

Hey can anyone tell me how far the Presidente is from town? If it's an expensive cab ride, I may want to stay somewhere closer. The Palace is still on the table - just because we've paid for the AI, doesn't mean we have to eat all our meals there. Isn't the Palace closer to town?

I think we were posting at the same time.
"read the stickies and search for pete's sake" and "oh god not another 'tell me where to go'
Those can incite cheerleading here at times, but your request was much more releasable as you furnished your preferences - always helpful.

As a fellow SoCal diver who has interacted with you previously regarding Tahiti diving (Paul Gauguin), I'll throw in my two cents. We're leaving in a couple weeks for our fifth trip to Cozumel and will be staying at Cozumel Palace for the second time, diving with Living Underwater for our first time. You've heard enough about LU, so I'll comment on the Palace instead. Before staying there, I thought I was the sort of person who hated AIs. We stayed at the Presidente once but felt it was too expensive for what we received when compared to other hotel prices on the island, plus it's an expensive taxi to get to town and back. We stayed in town at the Bahia Suites once, but prefer hotels with more amenities. I also stayed at the former Fiesta Inn once, an AI with watered drinks and food only edible at breakfast and lunch so we ended up dining out every night. Then we discovered the Palace.

I'd suggest you take a look at the reviews the Palace garners on TripAdvisor. It's rare that an AI gets such practically unanimous raves. The location is perfect, just south of town to avoid the noise and cruise ship crowds, but an easy walk. They have a dock on the premises so it's easy to get picked up there by any dive op you choose. The rooms are over the top, with a huge jacuzzi, hammock on the balcony, and 24-hour included room service. The service is incredible, the nightly entertainment was fun, they use decent booze in the drinks, and food, probably the most important consideration for me, is actually rather good. It's hard to beat a big (free) room service breakfast for the early morning dive days and there's a choice of 4 venues for dinner, each with expansive menus, so you'd have to stay there for a while before getting tired of it. Yes, there are some very good restaurants on the island where you can have great meals, but there are also plenty of mediocre places where you'll be disappointed. Overall, as a dedicated foodie, I've been disappointed by Cozumel retaurants with only a few notable exceptions. When we stayed at the Palace on our last trip, however, my overall dining impression of Cozumel actually went up a notch. Yes, many all-inclusives, including some on the island, are like a mass-market "party line" cruise ship. The Palace, however, is more like a Regent ship. It's an upscale, though not at all stuffy, experience and they pull it off very consistently. The way I like to wine and dine when I'm on vacation can cause restaurant bills to skyrocket - we've found that the Palace helps keep my budget intact without sacrificing quality, not to mention that it's damn convenient to have everything in one place. As a first-timer, you'll definitely want to get out and explore the island a bit, but after we've been there, done that a few times, we're happy to hole up in our little Palace and only emerge to go diving and to fly home. (The one thing we haven't done is drive to Coconuts on the other side of the island, but now I'm freaked out about renting a car there based on a recently published experience.)

I do want to clarify your perception of the $1,500 credit. The "fine print" terms and conditions restricts use of the credit to only $300 worth of spa services, and the spa services are about as pricey as fancy hotel spas anywhere so that $300 is worth about 2 50-minute massages. We booked the "concierge level" at the Palace which throws in 2 additional 25-minute massages, so J will be happy having 4 pummelings during our 6-night stay while I enjoy the bar. Since we're not using the credits for diving (you can apply them for one 2-tank dive with Aqua World - no thanks!) nor are we interested in any of the tours or the dolphin experience, it's actually going to be difficult for us to "spend" the remaining $1,200 in credits. One way is to book the "romantic dinner for 2" that includes lobster and prime beef and Moet and is normally priced at $350 for two - we might do this dinner twice, since the only other means of "spending" our credits is on photos (I'm not very photogenic) or on upgrading to "premium" wines instead of drinking the included, still decent, selection. Yes, the idea of credits is a gimmick, but J is going to be happy with her massages that I might have otherwise balked at affording since she can get them so much cheaper at home, and we'll enjoy our one or two "romantic" dinners to complement the other restaurants on the property and enjoy some nicer bottles of wine to boot. I can promise you that we won't let any of the credits go unspent!

If you have any other questions about the Palace, feel free to fire away.

(Sorry to sound like a Palace cheerleader, Don, but it really is that good)

P.S. I've usually experienced calm seas even when the currents can be roaring below the surface. Boat rides are comfortable in the small boats, nothing like the pounding you get in Hawaii after the trades start blowing, or like trying to make it through the cut in the reef on Ambergris Caye when they practically surf the waves back in (but get brutalized on the way out). The boat rides are smooth, but when it's not hot and sunny, the fast boats can be quite windy and it's easy to get chilled. The premium dive ops pamper you here as well, by providing towels and even windbreakers!

Mossman, THANK YOU! I think you may have sold me. Yes I distinctly recall our discussions about the PG - and knowing that you and I have similar likes and preferences when it comes to vacations, I believe every word of this. The PG remains one of my favorite vacations ever, and if the Palace is even close to that...well, that seals the deal. I also like that it's close enough to town that we can pop in there if we want to try some of the restaurants. The convenience of breakfasts and lunches pretty much sells me on the AI, and of course we can do whatever we want for dinner.

Thanks for explaining the credits. Having never been to Coz, I'm sure we'll use the tours. Mom especially - that will give her something to do while I'm diving.

Don thanks for all your detailed info! I especially appreciate the pricing info - and the coupon code.

Now I just have to wait and hear if hubby is going on Transpac..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom