Another braided LP hose failed. Phantom from DGX this time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like the beginning of it. Either the inner tube gets harden and break into pieces or the glue between the nylon and inner tube harden and break down so tube lose structure support. Both lead to failure. I think the first case is much worse tho.

Good suggestion, Centrals.

A smaller section cut about 6 inches away from the edge failed zone. The glue here is very tight. Even after cut the tube longitunally, I still can't pill off the nylon. BTW, cutting the nylon in this direction feel like "wedding" So think a thin wedding strongly glue to fish tank tube is what it feels like.

Photo Aug 09, 1 21 04 AM.jpg

No sign of micro crack here. The tube is still flexible and pliable. In fact, even color is different here. It is more white compared to the failed zone yellowish. It seems like the glue actually is air tight, isolating the ambient environment from the tube and keep it from aging. But I guess once the glue breaks down, it is all down hill from there.
Photo Aug 09, 1 20 05 AM.jpg

is it the overall similar construction? IE. outer Kevlar like braid, 2nd layer nylon (webbing like) weave, inner fish tank tube? What I mean by glue is the nylon weave is somehow laminated together with the inner tube.

Yes, construction is the same, outer braiding, then white cloth braiding followed by fish tank type tubing. I'll cut another section to check for signs of glue.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 04:38 AM ----------

Correction, the white braiding does appear to be bonded/glued in the section I just cut.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 04:46 AM ----------

Although it appears it's only "glued" here and there.

Seems to maybe be glued in one thin strip as opposed the whole circumference of tubing: I'm wondering if the white braiding itself is coated with some glue. Either way construction looks to be very similar if not identical to the Phantom. Even the tubing looks the same.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Most of us here have a fairly good understanding of our regulator's construction and function, yet it seems we have been breathing for years through braided hoses that we really knew very little about, until of course the wheels fell off. Maybe the next time a "revolutionary" material or item comes along we will all be a little more analytical up front instead of assuming the quality of a critical component that can stop the flow of gas or empty a tank in a minute!
My thanks to everyone here contributing to this thread and such exchanges of important information that contribute to the general knowledge and safety of the sport are what a good forum like Scubaboard is all about.

Totally agree, although when a new car with a new engine is put on the market it has supposedly been fully tested and has met all required safety standards. There is an element of trust involved. There are many things I own that I know very little about except a belief that it has been fully tested and is not going to kill me. Reasonable expectations I think. Hindsight is 20/20.

Yes, but nobody s perfect, especialy cars manufacturers. How many recalls by Toyota, Ford, etc.. for faulty Air bags, fly by wire throttle , ABS brake, etc.. with models of 5 ,10 years old ! With sometimes, accidents and death.. Even Ferrari had problems a few years ago with engines fire. Scuba is a very little market...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom