Another braided LP hose failed. Phantom from DGX this time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As title suggested, I have a failed Phantom brand braided LP hose today. I bought this hose from DGX in about May of 2011. It was a Q4 10 production. So it has been 4 years from first use (by me at least), and 5 years old from date of manufacture.

I consider myself always takes good care of my gears, cleaned thoroughly after each use and store in a closet under the stair, out of sun, out of heat, one of the coolest place in my house.

It is the 22" back up LP hose for my single tank setup. Last use was about a month ago without any issue. When I got the reg out for gear check today, the hose looks normal. In fact, it likes like new. No sign of any damage. When I turned on the tank I heard the sound of air rushing out. This is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHmlCvAwZk

You can see I can band the hose to a different angle and stop the leak. Beside replacing the hose, I decided to open it up and see what went wrong. I cut the hose about 4 inches away from where the suspect leaking location, the un-reave the braids.

Photo Aug 05, 10 57 50 PM.jpg

Here you can see the construction. The most outer layer is the braided material (I don't know what it is called). It is quite tough but also very thin.

The 2nd layer is braided nylon, think parachute core outter layer but thicker. The nylon is very fine. This layer is a bit thicker and very soft.

The 3rd layer appears to be some kind of glue. The purpose seems to be binding the braided nylon layer to the most inner tube, so the braided nylon don't slide around. This glue like material is caking up a bit. I could wipe it off with my finger. Well so far so good.

The most inner layer is just plastic tube. It seems to be the same type used in fish tank. I am not so impressed here.

Photo Aug 05, 11 00 53 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 05, 11 01 11 PM.jpg

Zoom in the plastic tube as I un-reave the braided layers. Notice the micro crack on the inner tube. By now, I am not surprised it leaks.

Photo Aug 05, 11 03 33 PM.jpg

This is the where the break is. A very clear crack. And notice those micro cracks are all along the tube. If not for this break, it is just matter of time these cracks start to fail

Photo Aug 05, 11 06 19 PM.jpg

Here is the manufacture time stamp. 10Q4. Not that old IMO.

I am very disappointed here. Not because the hose fail, but it fails without any sign. Outside looks clean and perfect, but the inner tube condition is so bad. I still have two other braided hose in use. 1 HP hose from Phantom for my single tank SPG and 1 LP hose from Miflex for my double backup. They both look perfect, but knowing what can happen inside, I am seriously considering change them back to rubber now.

I wonder if this is the price you pay for the added flexibility/lighter weight of braided hoses?

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 02:20 AM ----------

Yes, returning to rubber is beginning to look more and more attractive.

not liking this....... monitoring cautiously....

What you described happened to my 7' hose my hoses are newer than yours. The failure without warning was a big deal (the hose looks perfectly fine from the outside). I ordered two rubber hoses after, one to replace mine and to change out my wife's braided 7' as well. Think i'll be sticking with the rubber.

I didn't cut it open like you did, i wonder if i have it somewhere around to do that

Looking like the branded hoses are a very time limited use item... I think I'll be going to a 3 year 100% replacement time frame.. Really like Flex... Worth the money to me..

Jim..

WOW.. that type of widespread cracking of the plastic hose is very concerning.. hopefully they will start to leak and provide warning before catastrophic failure...

Rubber hoses have an almost indefinite life span. I have seen very few (maybe none) failures that were not preceded by significant visual evidence of degredation of the LP hose on the exterior. in other words, you generally have ample warning.

This type of construction is clearly a time bomb.. Damn. I like my braided hoses.. had some for 3-4 yrs now..

So just to clarify, the 4 to 5 year old hose that failed, was NOT a MiFlex, correct ??? Said it before, say it again; 100's/1000's of dives on a hand full of MiFlex hoses, and NEVER a failure. OC, CCR, and bailouts, NO ISSUES. Lot's of dive buddies with MiFlex, as well. I do replace my hoses every 3 to 5 years, as hoses are inexpensive. To the OP, have you contacted Dive Gear Express ???

100's/1000's of dives on a hand full of MiFlex hoses ... I do replace my hoses every 3 to 5 years

The OP said his hose was 5 years old.

The data you provided does not seem to support your implication that if the OP had used MiFlex he would not have had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom