Dive Skin from the Past

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I almost think this belongs in Vintage Gear, but I want a current product so here goes; Nearly 3o years ago I discovered the nearly perfect (for me) exposure suit for warm weather diving. It came from a now defunct company called Fathom (not the current one selling rebreathers, I asked!) and was comprised of an outer layer of a heavier than usual dense layer of nylon, an inner layer of a fleecy material, and a Gore Tex type middle layer sandwiched between. It was called "Tri-Laminate". Mine takes up about the same packing space as a pair of jeans, and has enough stretch to go on and off easily while fitting tightly in use.
I only get to take dive trips once or twice a year for the last couple of decades, so it was holding out pretty well, but it is starting to get a little worn. The closest replacement offered so far has been a Sharkskin™ dive skin from Australia(?) which is heavier, stiffer, and much less forgiving when being fitted. Does anyone know of a soft, stretchy skin that provides more protection than a lycra skin but is flexible and stretchy to be forgiving in its fit?
Thanks in advance!
Froggie 🐸

I almost think this belongs in Vintage Gear, but I want a current product so here goes; Nearly 3o years ago I discovered the nearly perfect (for me) exposure suit for warm weather diving. It came from a now defunct company called Fathom (not the current one selling rebreathers, I asked!) and was comprised of an outer layer of a heavier than usual dense layer of nylon, an inner layer of a fleecy material, and a Gore Tex type middle layer sandwiched between. It was called "Tri-Laminate". Mine takes up about the same packing space as a pair of jeans, and has enough stretch to go on and off easily while fitting tightly in use.
I only get to take dive trips once or twice a year for the last couple of decades, so it was holding out pretty well, but it is starting to get a little worn. The closest replacement offered so far has been a Sharkskin™ dive skin from Australia(?) which is heavier, stiffer, and much less forgiving when being fitted. Does anyone know of a soft, stretchy skin that provides more protection than a lycra skin but is flexible and stretchy to be forgiving in its fit?
Thanks in advance!
Froggie 🐸
Have you already looked at LavaCore?

They look kinda heavy and stiff to me. Would it be worth a closer look?
🐸
Yes, I think it would. I have a LavaCore and it feels sort of like what you describe. I don't use it much because it's so heavy when wet, and it takes a long time to dry. I'm betting your LDS or a friend has one for you to take a look at.

Just for fun I did a search on ebay for Fathom dive skins. They had some Fathom, but nothing that looked like what you are looking for. :)

Sounds like you are describing Thermocline material from Fourth Element. From manufacturer's web page:

"The inner fleece layer draws moisture away from the skin and wicks through the breathable membrane where it evaporates off the Nylon surface."

Also from maker, "provides the equivalent warmth of 2mm neoprene".

1694147057008.png

Fourth Element (FE) garments run small. Order at least one size larger than your normal garment size.

'Have their Vest; which I wear under 7mm wetsuit for additional warmth. Wear it every dive now. Very soft/supple material.

Of note: No FE products are inexpensive.

Took another look at the offerings from Lava Core and they look closer to my old Fathom suit I have than I previously thought. Thanks, Kimela. 👍

I’d never heard of Fourth Element, Endler’s. Thanks for the tip and the link. They look pretty nice, but you’re right about the prices though… they sure are proud of them! 🤑

Thinking back on the price of my Fathom dive suit nearly 30 years ago, I guess the Lava Core suits are in the same range when inflation is figured in. When you get to be my age things that seem recent to me can actually be a looong time ago! 😳

Does anybody know what happened to the Fathom DIVESUIT company? Did they get bought out or just close up shop? The response I got from the current Fathom REBREATHER company said they were not connected in any way. 🤔

Best regards and thanks again,
Froggie 🐸

I have not had the need to get anything from them but Frogskins looks like a very good product. And, well, your namesake.

I have not had the need to get anything from them but Frogskins looks like a very good product. And, well, your namesake.

Don’t think for a moment that was lost on me! I stopped by Scuba Buddies in Harrisonburg, VA today while passing through, and he had a pair of short pants (looked like biker shorts) from Frogskins in stock. They look like about the right consistency, but it seems like they don’t make a one piece, which is what I would really like to continue using.

LavaCore products are looking about as close as I’m gonna get, but I have until Spring, so I’ll continue looking for now.

I also need to dig out my old 5mm wetsuit and see whether it’s still usable. Who knows, I may find some cooler water to dive in!

Thanks again to all who responded with suggestions and info,

🐸

Thanks in advance!
Froggie 🐸

Sharkskin looks to have a couple different models, the Titanium 2, $$$, states it's equivalent to 5mm of neoprene. The Chillproof, $$, states it's equivalent to 3mm of neoprene. Do you recall which model you were looking at?

I've been curious to try them, but it's a fair amount of money to just roll the dice on.

I have the sharkskin childproof. Love them! I'm not sure that they're really equivalent to a 3mm suit, but pretty close. They are durable and don't have the buoyancy of neoprene, so pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom