Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They may have learned how to avoid running into each other but I think storms will always be a threat. Although I'm sure that it take much more weather to be a problem with modern ships.

Lost liners like the Doria are less likely simply because there are fewer of them and the cruise ships that are around are all pretty much running up and down relatively freindly coast lines. Weather will however continue to get it's share of freighters.

The great lakes in particular should continue to produce wrecks due to the rapidly changing weather, the annual temptation to make one last run in November, and the impressive and very fast moving waves that can develop in fresh water during a storm.

To answer the original question, the Doria is still an extremely challenging dive, not so much the depth as 250' is not that deep for technical diving as it used to be, but more so because of the ever changing currents and conditions, the superstructure has collapsed off the wreck and you can easily get lost out in the debris field and as far as penetrations you are dealing with similar issues the structure is changing but she is far from flattened steel at the bottom of the ocean, she still takes your breath away when you see her and all the changes also mean more possibilities to recover as yet untold artifacts, I don't believe anybody has made it to the car deck yet and there are supposed to be some extremely rare and special automobiles in there, mostly rusted away but there are some extremely desirable pieces still found on many dives. In short the Doria is most definitely a goal to aim for and as we have seen by the number of fatalities not to be taken lightly at all.

Chris

deepbluetech:
Go for it, the lady is worth going back for!

Well I haven't dove it yet, but I had planned on it. I got discouraged and now I'm fired up again. I'm still completing additional training, purchasing more equip, and doing more dives to prepare.

I looked at my dive budget for '03 last night in Quicken and realized how far over I went this year. By the time I'm ready, I may not have the bucks!

mempilot:
You know what's sad (metaphorically speaking of course, because I don't wish tragedy on anyone) is that with all the modern technology keeping ships aware from each other and out of wx, there may not be any more new victims sent to the bottom for us to explore. After these ladies of the sea are reduced to rubble, the age of exploration on historical shipwrecks will all but come to an end. Sure, there will be the artifical reef program, small pleasure boat accidents, and a few remote location shipwrecks, but there is no job security in shipwreck investigation. :)

That could only possibly be said by someone who doesn't live in a community dependant on the sea. There continue to be ships lost at sea, most don't make the international news, unless large pollution problems or big numbers of passengers - remember most ships only have a crew of around 25 at most. Fishing continues to be one of the most dangerous occupations around - when a boat disappears it is often a whole family of menfolk lost
Within 40miles of here in the last 10 years or so we have lost
Braer - oil tanker 44989GRT ran aground Fitful head 5/1/93
Valkyrie - inner of a pair of trawlers, steamed straight into a 200ft cliff (!) on its way to the fishing grounds, salvage attempt and resank in 50m or so Bressay
Borodynskye Polye 103m long Klondyker ran aground Nov 93 on Unicorn rock
Lunokhods 2000t Lithuanian klondyker driven ashore Kirkabister Light a week later
Pionersk 13,000t Transhipper driven ashore Trebister Ness Oct 94
Green Lily 3000t reefer broke down and driven ashore Bressay Nov 97, with the loss of the helicopter winchman Bill Deacon
Fraoch Ban - sandeel boat capsised and sank Noss Aug 99

There are plenty of fishing boats lost every year, most only known in their home areas. Boat's run aground or get driven ashore the whole time, most are towed off, occasionally they aren't. Only aout 3 weeks ago a Norwegian Liner, Midnat Sol broke down in a storm, her anchors held ( just) and they finally got her engines restarted when she was only 100m off the cliff face.

F
(Shetland Isles)

I didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone. I understand ships are lost every year at sea. My condolences to all who have known those victims.

I'm speaking of the 'ladies' of the sea, large cruise liners with some historical significance. The likes of the Titanic, Britanic, Andrea Doria, Edmund Fitzgerald, etc... My statement was that ships lost of this status will be extremely rare in the future. They are submerged museums that only a few will ever get a chance to explore and discover the treasures, mystery, and stories that they hold in their graves.

Another class of ship that we most likely won't see lost in the same manner is naval vessels. Outside of the artifical reef programs, large ships of war will not perish in the manner that makes them infamous. When the aircraft carrier is sunk off the coast of FL in the Gulf of Mexico in the near future, it will be void of all of it's grandour. It's story will be lost to most, it's significance reduced, and it will become a jungle gym for divers.

BTW, I dive the small ships/boats lost in accident/tragedy every week - Tugs, fishing trawlers, small freighters, etc... They are great dives, sometimes challenging, always beautiful, but unfortuneatly - never historical.

This is all a good thing for humanity, but sad to exploration divers yet to be born. I don't condone loss of life for adventure. But museums are full of artifacts for us to enjoy that are derived through loss of life. On a trip to Mexico and a visit to the Mayan ruins, I was entrigued by the history of this ancient culture. But sadly, there was more death there than any place on Earth that I have yet to travel. That made it somehow more of a learning experience.

Happy New Year and dive safe!

The seas can be extremely treacherous and commercial fishing has to be one of the most brutal ways to make a living, my hat is off to all the men and women who go out there and may you all be safe. As divers we do tend to forget about the other side of the coin and I know that Mempilot did not mean to belittle or ignore what seafaring folk deal with on a day to day basis. F you are absolutley right if it's not a major disaster it very rarely goes beyond the home port.

mempilot,
Regarding your quest for the Doria, she is not going anywhere skills and training are everything for this kind of diving, take it slow put the time in and slowly work your way up to it, the more comfortable you are with your skills and enviroment the better your dive will be, 250' is still a long way up.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom