Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Just wanted to make sure you guys didn't think I was some sort of AOW dork pipedreaming! :)

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, except that you are diving deep air? I'll tell you right now that deep air is a truely bad idea and I recommend progressing to mix training asap.

Since you're local to me I'm sure we have mutual friends, perhaps we'll meet up sometime? What shop do you use? (I use Brownie's)

The Doria is a bit of a sensitive subject with me as I lost a friend there a while back. I'd prefer not to lose any more.

WW

mempilot:
Do you suggest any good wreck guides, publications, or sources for researching what wrecks are out there and divable?

Chris Kohl writes some decent books on Great Lakes shipwreck diving. I use them to find interesting wrecks that I would like to dive and schedule trips/charters to get to them. Do not rely too heavy on his coordinates that he provides however - we've been burned several times by them. Always, always verify coordinates or sightings with someone that's actually been there.

This is a good book - pretty detailed and tons of wrecks....he has a lot of very good books over all.
http://www.seawolfcommunications.com/great_lakes_diving_guide.htm

Some other resources -

http://www.wiscuba.com
A good forum for wisconsin divers that I'm on a lot. A lot of us have done a lot of diving on lakes wrecks and would be more than happy to give you some info.

http://www.mnscuba.com
There are a couple of guys on this board using rebreathers to do some serious diving in the lakes.

If you're thinking the doria is the Mt. Everest just because of the depth...ehh...the lakes are better. Deeper, more intact, not collapsing...I've dove wrecks in the oceans and I still would rather dive wrecks in the lakes.

WreckWriter:
It sounds like you're going in the right direction, except that you are diving deep air? I'll tell you right now that deep air is a truely bad idea and I recommend progressing to mix training asap.
WW

I'm scheduled for trimix in the early spring. The deepest I've gone on air is progressive dives to 185 to do narc tests. I didn't like the results past 160. We don't do penetrations on air/nitrox at anything below 150. I'm the only one in the group that isn't trimix. Our penetrations are not even in the same category as what people do on the Doria and other serious wrecks. I am building towards that and my comfort level as my experience grows. I do the deeper stuff (140 - 180) off a couple of private boats.

I'm still in the progressive equipment configuration mode as my pocketbook allows. I don't overdive my setup though. This is another reason why my penetrations are daylight guided backed up with a reel. I'm in the market for a BP/wing and would appreciate your input in this area as well. I dive dry for longer dives and deco dives since I get cold faster(my body fat is low). I have PST HP 80's with H's, which I will be doubling up with the BP/Wing. These tanks won't be used down the road for deep penetration(going to 100's). I've spent a lot of time calculating SAC and DCR rates under varying exertion levels, and I graph actuals against my baseline after every dive to fine tune my gas planning. My planned gas consumption has been extremely accurate now for a while. I'm working my way to DIR learning each piece individually rather than everything at once.

I do all the recreational dives down to 135 max off the H2O Diver and with various boats down in the Keys. My weekly dives for fun (well they're all fun!) include diving Narwal, Deep Freeze, Jupiter Star(150), Tenneco(haven't done the deeper east towers yet), Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb.

I'm not a self-proclaimed tech diver, but I do aspire to be one. I kind of think other divers on the boat sometimes think I am, which makes me nervous. There is no quick easy overnight transitional way to make the jump from competent reef diver to full wreck diver without several years of strange looks at your configuration and equip. I still get asked on every dive on a shallow wreck why I carry some of the equip I do. I tell them I fly with the same checklists and equip every time I fly, whether it is at nap of the earth or at 40,000 feet. They don't get it, but I sure do!

Happy diving! Hope to run into some of you guys in the future! Sorry for the long post. I'm just a guy who 'wants to' trying to understand from those who 'have'.

WreckWriter:
Sure, the Doria is collapsing, all wrecks are, its a natural process. Some might have you believe she's pancake flat. No way. As NEWreckDiver says, change in the wreck only opens new opportunities.

I will stick in a caution though, don't even think Doria until you've got several hundred dives below 200 feet. Its not a death trap but if you go there before you're ready, guess what?

As for the Fitz (d33ps1x, what's your issue with calling her what she was called when she was afloat?), think about it, 500+ feet in zip degree water. There's only a handful of divers that can put their chances of surviving that above 50%. You up to that?

WW

WW is right, there is such a thing as too deep.

350 ft is probably ok for most trained hobbyists, including scuba store owners.

Much deeper than that, and you are most likely in the realm of the commercial or military salvage.

No one wants to do the U-869? That's pretty high on my list. I hear there are couple of boats over at Scapa Flow that are worth taking a look at too.

mempilot:
Do you suggest any good wreck guides, publications, or sources for researching what wrecks are out there and divable?

you dont mind cold water and travel take a look at www.irishwrecksonline.com
more wrecks than you can shake a stick at.
David

just tried link do's not work do a search for irishwrecks on line it should come up

In my opinion 185 is too deep to be safe on air. Sure, it can be done, I did it for years, a lot deeper than that but once you try mix you'll realize that air is for tires.

As for BP/Wing, I prefer Halcyon, others prefer various brands. the only kind I really feel should be avoided are bungee wings (all brands). Since you're going to in doubles be sure to get an appropriate wing. If you go Halcyon you'd want an Explorer wing, either 40 or 55 lb lift depending on tanks. I use the 40 with aluminum 80s and the 55 with heavier steel 104s. With steel 95s I use whichever wing I happen to grab. Aluminum BP with 104s, SS BP with others. With the HP 80s you'll be fine with either wing but a 40 is more comfortable for me. Your nearest Halcyon dealer is Brownie's in Fort Lauderdale. They're full service including GUE training if you happen to feel the desire for that.

WW

WreckWriter:
In my opinion 185 is too deep to be safe on air.

Agreed. That's what I learned from doing narc tests at 185 on air. :)

IMO, narc tests are a bad idea. If you want to do them get with DAN and do em in a chamber. Narcosis is there at those depths, we know that and there isn't any reason to have to experience it for yourself. Such tests are usually invalid since everything will be fine unless you have to do something out of the ordinary and then you might not be around to discuss the results.

I also like to keep my PPO2 lower than what you get at 185.

Get helium.

Back
Top Bottom