An Agnostic's Journey -- part 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
Value of the class (ie either info/technique) is different than the "Pass" portion.

So regardless is you pass or not, it is still good value.

But lets just look at the "passing" of the class.

Whats the difference between almost there and just barely there?

What does a pass really mean?

Well, the pass means you are a compete enough diver to attempt to try for Tech 1 or Cave 1 (lets say we are talking about the Tech pass you are going for) You do not have to be some great backkicking, always trim kick butt diver. You just need to be able to maintain a level of control while being task loaded.

You can just barely pass and still have stuff to work on. The not getting a pass is just a bureaucratic line in the sand.

You are lucky that your instructor is local and maybe thats why he doesn't need to be in a rush to pass people. Most people are not that lucky.

I see what you are saying, and I agree.

I'd feel differently if I had to fly to or wait until the instructor came back to my area for a re-evaluation. One of the reasons I choose the GUE route is that Steve is local, is up to Rec Triox level (my next step) and is working on his Tech 1 instructor cert. I knew going into this that he'd be around, and I may have not gone this route without a local instructor.

As RJack said, there is some real value to being given the type of feedback I had, and having time to go smooth things out, but I'll agree the picture would be much different without a local instructor, and that is clearly one of the issues with GUE training.

JeffG:
Works great when the instructor is local. Otherwise you are screwed.

I get the feeling that travel distance can play a role in "barely passing" situations. Not that a GUE instructor would pass anyone who shouldn't be. But all the skills are certainly on a continuum. If you are close to the bar some leeway appears (IMHO) to be granted.

dsteding:
As RJack said, there is some real value to being given the type of feedback I had, and having time to go smooth things out, but I'll agree the picture would be much different without a local instructor, and that is clearly one of the issues with GUE training.
or I agree with what/how you are doing it. It is the best way to go. I didn't have a local GUE instructor, but I did have a relatively local TDI instructor mentor me throughout the last 3 yrs.

rjack321:
I get the feeling that travel distance can play a role in "barely passing" situations. Not that a GUE instructor would pass anyone who shouldn't be. But all the skills are certainly on a continuum. If you are close to the bar some leeway appears (IMHO) to be granted.
I know....Thats why I have mine. :wink:

Blitz:
C'mon Bob.... You did my DM training, you know how much of a warm, calm, fuzzy, caring guy I am.....:light:

Lock up your daughters everyone :11: :eyebrow:

JeffG:
or I agree with what/how you are doing it. It is the best way to go. I didn't have a local GUE instructor, but I did have a relatively local TDI instructor mentor me throughout the last 3 yrs.

Wthiout a doubt, taking it slow with good mentors really matters. I'm quite impressed with Steve and his commitment to his students, I've watched him work with others (Lynne and Kirk) and it is very clear to me that he is in it for the long haul. We are really, really, fortunate to have him available locally.

Another thing is that this makes me more willing to bite off training in smaller chunks. I did fundies in doubles, but wasn't aiming for a tech pass-I KNOW I am not ready for tech 1. Having that intermediate step of Rec Triox makes sense to me personally, doing that around 150-175 dives (50-75 dives from now) and then building more experience before Tech 1 seems to be a prudent path. Somewhere in there is Cave 1, but only when I'm totally ready-that is a different situation because there I will necessarily be on vacation and will want to perform well from the get-go.

Yeah, I think part of the reason I'm putting off taking Cave is to spend the summer working on the things I can do here in Puget Sound to be as ready as possible. I don't want to go down there and provisional on Cave 1 if it can be avoided, because it would be an expensive PITA to have to make multiple trips to pass. Having done the wreck workshop and the cenote tours, I have a shrewd idea of what I need to do to get ready, and a lot of stuff can be done here at home. Buoyancy control, blackout work, line work can all be done in local waters.

dsteding:
I KNOW I am not ready for tech 1.
Dude ... you're barely ready for Cove 2 ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom