An Agnostic's Journey -- part 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job Peter. I like you am a DIR agnostic. I’m attracted to the idea of standardization of equipment and procedures, but I’m repelled by the authoritarian flavor and occasional “cave blindness.” I’m a believer that intelligent people operating on equivalent information can reach disparate but equally effective solutions (e.g., there’s more than one way to skin a cat). Sometimes, in the interest of the greater good (standardization) compromises must be made, but each of those compromises should be carefully considered and willingly entered into, not made, “cause JJ said so.” But DIR sure as hell beats the conventional alternatives by a country mile.

Thalassamania:
but I’m repelled by the authoritarian flavor and occasional “cave blindness.”

Thal-

FWIW, I saw no authoritarian flavor this weekend. To the contrary, Steve would explain why something was done the way it was, but from the beginning emphasized that diving is about making choices and his job was to help us become thinking divers. We actually had nice discussions about AI computers versus SPGs, solo diving (I know, shocking) and a couple other subjects that would be considered "hot buttons" on many of these forums. Those discussions didn't spiral into flame wars, but stayed intelligent, reasoned, and respectful.

So, I'm starting to think that the above reaction may be largely grounded in the internet, it definitely wasn't Steve's approach.

The instruction was simply beyond world class. I have seen a fair share of kool aid drinkers, and frankly, blind loyalty bugs me. This class was run from a very respectful stand point. The instructor has his belief and philosophy of diving and approached those that did exactly share that philosophy with tact.

That's so good to hear, in some ways I see DIR as recreational diving' s last real hope for in-water competence.

Thalassamania:
That's so good to hear, in some ways I see DIR as recreational diving' s last real hope for in-water competence.
I wouldn't go quite that far ... but it's damn good training.

If anything, I think GUE is demonstrating that there is a segment of the diving population that is willing to pay for a higher standard of training. And in some cases ... at least locally ... I see recreational instructors taking notice and doing just that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I wouldn't go quite that far ... but it's damn good training.

If anything, I think GUE is demonstrating that there is a segment of the diving population that is willing to pay for a higher standard of training. And in some cases ... at least locally ... I see recreational instructors taking notice and doing just that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Beat me to it Bob. The bottom line is that I'd put the quality of instruction up there with your's or Brian's classes locally. Different subject matter, and as we discussed, you have different goals in your advanced class, but both are a very high standard, and more importantly, both go into detail on what it takes to dive safely in our waters.

Sorry, I'm not saying that GUE is going to take over all "good" training and be the only font from which to drink. Bob made the point much better than I did, "I think GUE is demonstrating that there is a segment of the diving population that is willing to pay for a higher standard of training."

Peter, Marc & Doug: Sounds like you guys had a good course :D

I know that I took much away from it and think that the money spent was well worth it!

Bjorn

lundysd:
Doug,

If you buy a Gavin, you have exactly 2 options....

clip me on your crotch d ring and tow me OR

buy a backup Gavin that I would graciously test every week to make sure it's fully functional (for your safety of course) :D

(and if you make a crack about finding another dive buddy altogether, i'll pistol whip you)
Who would want a Galaxy 500? Yeeeeesh

Spart -- No, I don't think it is impolite to ask. I know not how the others did, but as for me, Rec Provisional. I knew going in that my trim (in doubles) was tenuous, that I had no back-kick, that I had very little experience doing valve drills or bag shoots. With the tenuous trim, I couldn't meet standards while task loaded (drills); without a back-kick, keeping team position, especially during ascents, was nigh on to impossible; with little experience in valve/bag (and the afore-mentioned trim issues) there was no expectation of being able to meet standards in proficiency, ease and timeliness.

I believe that all of this can be "easily" solved IF I can get my trim figured out (could be as simple as moving tanks down on BP and moving some weights around OR may be as hard as getting my 59 year old body to bend in ways it doesn't want to); get the back-kick down; practice the drills (which I deliberately hadn't done before because I didn't want to have to unlearn things).

Thass -- I wish there was some good way of getting "the basics" from this course put into the general recreational curriculum, but I keep coming up with reasons why it can't be done. Oh well, another topic for another day.

Bjorn -- Lynne asked me if I thought the class was worth the money -- my response, "Ask my in a year." While it was a flip remark (primarily because in a year my plan is to be taking Cave 1 and I have to have passed Fundies to take Cave 1 with some "ABC" organization) it really is true. I think it will take months to really see if my diving ability has been changed as a result of this experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom