An Agnostic's Journey -- part 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blitz:

I'm provisional at the rec level. I came really close, but actually am glad to be provisional rather than a "barely passed."

I did fine with all the skills, some better than others, but I felt really good about things, especially considering I'm at just over 100 dives. In fact, Steve said I had a "awesome" skill set for my experience level, and that was very satisfying to hear.

The areas that I am working on:

1) I have good trim, except at one point in a valve drill, but I tend to have my fins pointed up when hovering, and when doing some kicks. This means that any motion with my fins makes me move around in the water. I need to get my fins flat, which will allow me to hold position better, keep my fins from forcing my legs down if I scull while task-loaded, and will generally make my propulsion more efficient.

2) Need to tighten up my buoyancy a bit when task-loaded and get my ascents a bit crisper. The former is related to the fin issue above.

3) Need to increase my global situational awareness a bit.

All of these things were great feedback, and it was funny because Steve and I were really on the same page in terms of where I was. I feel like I actually made great improvements over the weekend, but the more important part is that I have a solid understanding of where I am, where I need to go, and how to get there. We both agreed that the fin issue solves the other two, I'll not be fighting to keep position as much, and this will allow me to perfect my trim while task loaded and will also remove one thing that I'll have to pay attention to, allowing me to increase my awareness of other areas.

Blitz:
Figures ... Steve decided he didn't want to put up with ya for another week-end, huh?

:wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dsteding:
... I feel like I actually made great improvements over the weekend, but the more important part is that I have a solid understanding of where I am, where I need to go, and how to get there. ...

Which is really they key IMO :)

dsteding:
I'm provisional at the rec level. I came really close, but actually am glad to be provisional rather than a "barely passed."
Odd..to say the least.

JeffG:
Odd..to say the least.

How so Jeff? I'm in no hurry to pass . . . and I don't see that as the "point" of this class. I'd rather be given a few things to go work on, have that focused feedback, and then get a chance to go dive with Steve again to make sure I've nailed those issues.

JeffG:
Odd..to say the least.

When the instructor's local and says "work on XYZ after that I'll reevaluate and give you more tips in a month or 2", taking them up on it is in your best interest.

C'mon Bob.... You did my DM training, you know how much of a warm, calm, fuzzy, caring guy I am.....:light:

NWGratefulDiver:
Figures ... Steve decided he didn't want to put up with ya for another week-end, huh?

:wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dsteding:
How so Jeff? I'm in no hurry to pass . . . and I don't see that as the "point" of this class. I'd rather be given a few things to go work on, have that focused feedback, and then get a chance to go dive with Steve again to make sure I've nailed those issues.
Value of the class (ie either info/technique) is different than the "Pass" portion.

So regardless is you pass or not, it is still good value.

But lets just look at the "passing" of the class.

Whats the difference between almost there and just barely there?

What does a pass really mean?

Well, the pass means you are a compete enough diver to attempt to try for Tech 1 or Cave 1 (lets say we are talking about the Tech pass you are going for) You do not have to be some great backkicking, always trim kick butt diver. You just need to be able to maintain a level of control while being task loaded.

You can just barely pass and still have stuff to work on. The not getting a pass is just a bureaucratic line in the sand.

You are lucky that your instructor is local and maybe thats why he doesn't need to be in a rush to pass people. Most people are not that lucky.

rjack321:
When the instructor's local and says "work on XYZ after that I'll reevaluate and give you more tips in a month or 2", taking them up on it is in your best interest.
Works great when the instructor is local. Otherwise you are screwed.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom