American Language?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Actually no, it's not arrogant. If referring to your continent, you would be correct. For example, European vs American. This is rarely the case. Usually, we are referring to nationalities. In the case, a Canadian would be a Canadian, not an American, because "American" does not refer to his country. The same applies to other countries in North and South America (no, I didn't forget central america, it's a region of North America). "American" does refer to the country of a citizen of the United states of America.
So maybe not arrogant, but at least ambiguous.

DA Aquamaster:
IMHO if u want to get upset at something, u should get upset at the overuse of internet shortcuts or at PEOPLE WHO "YELL" BY CAPITALIZING EVERYTHING. Both of these issues are far larger problems.

I dont really WANT to get upset about anything but thanks for the advice :)

Walter:
Does it matter as long as we are understood. Most folkjs on this board (myself included) have difficulty with certain aspect of the language. Eliminating misuse of words that can actually cause misunderstanding (confusion of to, too, two/ they're, their, there/ your, you're etc.) would be much more helpful than concerning ourselves over dialect. I would expect Americans to use an American dialect, Canadians a Canadian dialect, etc. I never know what dialect to expect from those for whom English is not their native tongue, nor do I think it matters. There's no need for an "official dialect."

I agree :)

Actually the term American is normally used out of context and is a pet peeve. It was a term thought up by news reporters or polititians or something. Ie. "The American people think or The American people have a right to know."

Once a Canadian friend asked me "What do you Americans think?" I politely asked him if Canada had removed itself from North America,

Actually American people reach from the northern tip of North America to the Southern tip of South America. Therefore how many dialects of English, French, Native Indian, Spanish, Portugese, German, Polish, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Philipino, Vientnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Swahili, etc on and on are represented by Americans both native and naturalized. To say that Untited States English is the only correct one is highly arrogant.

If you don't understand what someone writes there are several nice translation programs throughout the internet.

Tom Smedley:
Actually the term American is normally used out of context and is a pet peeve. [...] Once a Canadian friend asked me "What do you Americans think?" I politely asked him if Canada had removed itself from North America
I understand perfectly what you're saying. But I don't think I agree.

I see this issue quite often, living overseas; and I'm often self-conscious about using the term "American," especially when talking with a Canadian. But the term "American," by pretty universal worldwide convention, means "resident of the United States." What's the other choice? "United Statesians," like Knotical impishly suggested? Or maybe "United Statesers?" I don't think so.

As you noticed, the word "American" is even, or especially, used by Canadians when referring to us. (I'm not so familiar with how Mexicans look at it... Does "Norte Americano" mean U.S. residents and Canadians? Mexico isn't a part of North America in their eyes?)

We have two U.S.-spec VWs here with us in Poland. I always refer to them as the "North American versions" of the cars, which is more accurate.

Somewhat off the subject, but for what it's worth, the USA has always been officially known as the "United States of North America" in Polish. Wonder why?

--Marek

Tom Smedley:
To say that Untited States English is the only correct one is highly arrogant.
You're absolutely right. But I don't think anyone is saying that. At least, I hope not.

--Marek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American

inquiry has admitted flaws in the way American troops man checkpoints- The Australian

American Embassy in Saigon was abandoned; the next day -cbc.ca

state in America, or that in 1958 a couple were actually sentenced -Asian News Service

It is resonable to state that when referring to Americans or America 99% of the english speaking world means the US. In South America this would be thought to be arrogant and is generally not accepted. Yes they do refer to citizens of the US as estadounidense (literally United-Statesian). I don't think it is arrogant to call myself an American unless I do so in the company of folks from South America but to the English speaking population this is well accepted. Just my $.02.

Of course post in any language you wish.

:11: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Here is the link to translate what you want to.

Well every time I post in my own language people go "huh".

Luckilly I'm multi-lingual (even if I can't spell to save myself!)

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

It's interesting to me that the Spanish-speaking people developed a word for United States of Americaners… they say "estadounidense". Still, I haven't heard many people use it outside of the textbooks and the language tapes. Ergo, I think the world (via the spanish people) has accepted the use of "American" as directly applying to the USA. I say this beacuse they were provided with acceptable alternative, and they chose not to use it. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I think it's interesting that we two words from the US in hebrew: "Amerika" and "Artzot ha-Brit", the latter literally translating to "the lands of the covenant". Interstingly, it can also be translated to "Land of the circumcision"…

I see American English as using "color" instead of "colour", and various spelling changes like that. Also, I tend to see that Britons do not use the form "gotten" as much as Americans do; a Brit will say, "Have you got the package yet?" while Americans will say, "Have you gotten the package yet?". This is just personal experience, though. Some people think that one day the schism between the two will get larger and larger, until the two languages will resemble Brazillian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese, and then maybe Spanish and French. Me? I don't think this will ever happen. As long as we continue to use eachother's resources, our dialects won't stray too far from eachother.

An aside questing I am DYING to know the answer: Do you call somebody from Scotland British? How about a person from Northern Island, are they British too? I am not talking in the sense of politcs, rather linguistically. Are Scotland and Wales countries? I just want to know.

knotical:
I’ll bet the ‘stralians have a few choice alternatives.

Personally i like the term Seppo that the Aussies use quite regularly when referring to you guys. Lets just say it comes from rhyming slang and the term Yank, you don't want to know what it means...

As a Canadian i call people from the states Americans mostly, for example "I'm Canadian dammit not American, thats an insult!" he he he funny

WE commonly use the term Yanks but as i found out when i said that to someone from Carolina (angry) that it doesn't fly for southerners....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom