American Canadian or Peso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting all kinds of conflicting reports on which currency to use while in Mexico.
I know they have a long relationship whith the U.S dollar, but we are told not to use U.S, but the Peso.
I walked into my bank and and wanted 1000 dollars converted to Peso's and they pretty much laughed saying they don't keep that much foreign money except for the U.S dollar.
I do not know if the Canadian dollar is excepted there or not.

On a side note, I went to get some swimming shorts the other day (here in Canada), and alll I had on me was U.S. dollars, (I am a truck driver) went to pay for the shorts and they told me they don,t take U.S money.
I was shocked to say the least.

There was a push from the Mexican government not to accept US dollars, especially in large amounts. However, in practice, vendors down there will accept pesos or $US, as long as you're spending something with them. At least this was the case in the PDC area. A lot of the places quoted prices in $US and then gave a crappy exchange rate. I would go down with a bit of both. As far as the bank is concerned, they will order in pesos for you. There is always those foreign exchange places in the airports. Their rates are a little better than the banks, but if you don't exchange more than $400cdn they charge you a fee. Nobody took $CDN, but there are places to exchange them along Fifth Avenue (Assuming you're going to Playa Del Carmen).

As in other places , for the best rate use your debit card in an ATM.

Hey Ross....I take a bunch of Mexican pesos and some US bucks. Between the two I have enough to pretty much cover everything but the hotel, and for that I generally use Visa.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I feel more at ease now.
Hope to see you at the pool on sunday Phil.

I just got back from Cabo & everyone took American cash w/o blinking. No one said no to my VISA either. The dive shop took both, Travelers cks & cash. If you are ever in Cabo, DEEP BLUE SCUBA is the ONLY shop to use. After 22 yrs. of actively diving, I don't remember a better operation or divemaster than what I had at DEEP BLUE. Their prices were more than fair & their service & safety were the best.

I usually buy a hundred or so US before I go, then use the bank machines from then on, you do get the best rate that way & dont have to cart around a bunch of cash. Some ATM's there give you the option of withdrawing in US or peso's.

The ATMs are a great option for addition currency but my bank charges a horrible currency conversion fee.

Back
Top Bottom