American businessman fined $1,734 for stealing dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have they identified where he is from yet if so it would nice if the video and article and this thread were forwarded to his hometown newspaper.....just saying :)

According to commenters on the news article that sound familiar with the incident, the other two individuals in the video are his father and his son... whom both appear aware of what he's about to do if you watch the beginning of the video, his son looks over his shoulder at him going into the rinse room before continuing into the office behind the grandfather...Classy family...

Hard to say, it could be the kid was just wondering "why isn't Dad coming in with us?" but at least the son has now seen the possible consequences for a thief and hopefully the lesson will stay with him.

Unbelievable that someone who has been travelling to Cayman for years would indulge in theft of this nature. I'm glad his name was published and hope he ends up on Cayman's undesirable entry list.

I personally think the penalty was too lenient.

I agree with Doctorfish. It would be nice if immigration disallowed him entry in the future. Now that they know what his character is, it seems they'd want to keep him out.

I wondered about family members since they kept door open that blocked camera view of rinse room for a time, but the kids curious glance really looks more innocent. We have law abiding friends whose drug addict middle aged kids publically humiliate them like this. people wonder how can parents not know, but they are praying so much for their messed up loser child. And the innocent teen probably looks to Grandad for financial support.

Last edited:
You have to wonder if any of his family questioned where the "extra" gear came from and why didn't they insist on returning it .

I think they are all complicit in this.........just a bunch of low life thieves.

He may have been a businessman but today he would be better described as a thief.

It's not relevant, it's just the attorney trying to come up with a reason for sympathy, like "he's been under a lot of stress lately" or "his mother didn't love him!"

My personal favorite is Bruce the Shark, who can't control his fish addiction in Finding Nemo because "He never knew his father!" It's all nonsense but at least that's funny!

yeah, saw this defense strategy on Perry Mason once, 'Judge sir, I'm sure you're such a bonehead I'm using the classic 'pull something out of my @ss' defense strategy.

how is 'tarnishing' some one's reputation even relevant to the just application of law ?

The law was broken, so now justice is being applied to serve punishment.

Tarnishing a reputation might be seen as an inadvertent part of the punishment.

Hopefully, his photo has been passed from dive shop to dive shop, & retailers as well, among the nearby islands - if they are smart. Doubtful he'll quit with this minor slap on the wrist.

Back
Top Bottom