American businessman fined $1,734 for stealing dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless Mr. Stone brags to his neighbors or friends how is anyone going to find out? The article fails to mention which state in the US he lives in. Which is probably good for him.

In situations like this, social media can be a wonderful thing, or in Mr. Stone's case, an absolute nightmare and permanent tarnishing of his "good name". Even big companies have been brought to their knees by bad news stories on social media. If the person he stole the gear from, or Don Foster's, want to get the word out about this jerk, it would certainly be an easy and a just thing to do. Anybody in his situation that steals, deserves all the crap that comes his way.

Now really freak out... you really think this was the first time he did something like that? Probably not. Like to know what qualifies him as a "business man"

I wonder if his "business" is selling used scuba equipment with identification names and numbers scratched off?

For that matter, I am looking to buy used scuba equipment, and I want to be able to trust people that the stuff is NOT stolen, and I am not going to run into the Rightful Owner wearing their feloniously flogged fins! An you imagine what a horror that would be?

Getting busted and pleading guilty and then asking for leniency is one thing, but he claimed that the gear was used and therefore had negligible value. That takes balls and provides a lot of insight into his character.

Judge Judy would have accepted his theory of reduced value of the gear and then confiscated ALL his gear in the county, had it appraised at a similar (negligible value) and given it to the shop and and reduced his fine by this negligible amount.

I hope he is a good freediver, because i bet it is going to be tough for him to buy air from the local shops.

Looks like they uploaded the surveillance video showing the robbery...

No wonder all he could say was "no comment" after they showed him the video!

Last edited:
From the story:

To me this shows the difference in societal attitudes toward crime depending upon who committed the crime. We are supposed to be concerned that this common thief might be harmed in his life as a businessman if his reputation is spoiled by his crime becoming public knowledge.

Imagine a poor criminal in an American court system, especially a minority, having an attorney make similar pleas. "Your honor, although my client shoplifted several thousand dollars worth of jewelry, we ask that a conviction not be recorded so that he can travel unimpeded in the future, or so that he can more easily get a new job, or...whatever." "Your honor, although my client shoplifted several thousand dollars worth of jewelry, we ask that his case be handled in such a way that he can keep his good name."

What good name???????

What a hole

According to commenters on the news article that sound familiar with the incident, the other two individuals in the video are his father and his son... whom both appear aware of what he's about to do if you watch the beginning of the video, his son looks over his shoulder at him going into the rinse room before continuing into the office behind the grandfather...

Classy family...

Why did he do it? Was he trying to save money on the dives? Or what? This is just incomprehensible to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom