American businessman fined $1,734 for stealing dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that both are weak, but we have seen the good reputation that would be tarnished" argument work very successfully in a lot of cases recently.

That's true, and it may be the weaker argument; but we have also seen the "he's disadvantaged" argument work successfully, too.

Unless I'm reading the Compass wrong, Mr Andrew Stone's "good name" has already been lost, independent of fine vs. costs. If we are talking about this here, hopefully, so will the media in his hometown.

Businessman? Who would want to do business in future with a common thief, If he would steal a reg and BC, he would potentially steal from his own clients as well.
If his business includes international travel, as was suggested in the defense argument, then his hometown reputation might not matter a bit.

As an explanation, certain countries restrict travel for people who have criminal records. For example, you can't get from the United States to Canada with a DUI on your record unless you go through some sort of legal process.

This guy has been going traveling for 30 years, and probably stealing for that long too. He is NOT a teen making his first mistake, he is a lifelong parasite on the SCUBA community.
How many people here have had stuff stolen by well off people? I have had credit cards stolen when I was an intern by a frickin' executive. :angrymob:

how is 'tarnishing' some one's reputation even relevant to the just application of law ?

It's not relevant, it's just the attorney trying to come up with a reason for sympathy, like "he's been under a lot of stress lately" or "his mother didn't love him!"

My personal favorite is Bruce the Shark, who can't control his fish addiction in Finding Nemo because "He never knew his father!" It's all nonsense but at least that's funny!

Last edited:
I hope they ban him from coming back to Cayman.

he should have a criminal record follow him

the one who can give a lot of insite into this is Alex77 he is in the legal field on Cayman

Yes, I found the argument for leniency so as not to "tarnish his record" simply appalling. If anyone ends up on the dive boat with this guy in the Caymans, please cut his hose off long during the dive, so you can watch it flop around and beat him!

From the story:

To me this shows the difference in societal attitudes toward crime depending upon who committed the crime. We are supposed to be concerned that this common thief might be harmed in his life as a businessman if his reputation is spoiled by his crime becoming public knowledge.

Imagine a poor criminal in an American court system, especially a minority, having an attorney make similar pleas. "Your honor, although my client shoplifted several thousand dollars worth of jewelry, we ask that a conviction not be recorded so that he can travel unimpeded in the future, or so that he can more easily get a new job, or...whatever." "Your honor, although my client shoplifted several thousand dollars worth of jewelry, we ask that his case be handled in such a way that he can keep his good name."

Don't want to get all political, but that's exactly the arguments used by a certain party about illegals in this country "just try to feed his family", "just wanting a better life", followed by "doing jobs nobody else wants to do."

Wrong is wrong.

I couldn't believe the reaction of many people to a theft that my family experienced. My husband went to the cemetery to visit the graves of his parents only to discover that someone had stolen the grave marker to get the bronze value!

Disgusting!

I was totally amazed by the number of people who said "Oh, isn't it sad that someone was so desperate to be driven to do such a thing!"

Let some of those people follow the 'homeless' with their signs at the corners, follow them all day long and see where the money goes that people who feel sorry for them goes... it goes right to the meth or heroin dealer, usually about 3 to 5 times each day. Same place the money went from your husband's parents marker.

Unbelievable that someone who has been travelling to Cayman for years would indulge in theft of this nature. I'm glad his name was published and hope he ends up on Cayman's undesirable entry list.

I personally think the penalty was too lenient.
Now really freak out... you really think this was the first time he did something like that? Probably not. Like to know what qualifies him as a "business man" WTF is the qualifications for that moniker, its like he is wearing the label like a priests clerical collar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom