American Airlines $45 Lugage Fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I made it to Costa Rica and did not get charged the fee. They did not ask was I was taking and I did not say. :05:

I apreciate everyones help, now lets see about my trip back.

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
American Airlines has informed me that they charge a surcharge of $45 each way for any luggage carrying any scuba gear. Has anyone experienced this? Seems crazy to me.

Alex

Alex,

I just flew AA from Miami to Philadelphia two weeks ago and it wasn't charged anything for my gear. I do know that there is a charge for any baggage over 50 lbs. As long as your bag is under that, you shouldn't be charged anything.

What I saw was that AA had changed there weigth allowance from 70 lbs to 50 lbs. I think they will charge overweight, they say, for any bag over 51 lbs.

This is Continental's policy from their website:

Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of the applicable excess baggage charge. Contact Continental Airlines Reservations, worldwide, for service charge rates.

An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $80/125 CAD from travel to/from USA/Canada/Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. The service charge to/from international destinations is $100/151 CAD.

The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Note for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.

An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

So basically... Don't say what's in the bag unless they ask, and you won't get charged. Just keep the bag to 50 Lbs. go to the curbside check in, and give the guy a tip of at least $2 per bag... They won't ask any questions. (and don't travel with tanks)

howarde:
So basically... Don't say what's in the bag unless they ask, and you won't get charged. Just keep the bag to 50 Lbs. go to the curbside check in, and give the guy a tip of at least $2 per bag... They won't ask any questions. (and don't travel with tanks)

There are a few other tricks to know. A 51lb bag will cost you for the overage but two 50lb bags will cost nothing extra. You are allowed two checked bags and one carry-on (purses and laptops don't count against this). Carry-ons are not weighed even if they are checked at the gate. Pack small heavy stuff in the carry-on and take 2 checked bags no more than 50 lbs. Beyond that you will be charged nad there is a maximum limit.

It's silly that it isn't a maximum total weight but they made the rule.

It sounds like the extra fees are for tanks. I checked Delta's website and they charge $100 for a tank.

Otherwise, it's the wieght issue.

Jeff

Goose75:
There are a few other tricks to know. A 51lb bag will cost you for the overage but two 50lb bags will cost nothing extra. You are allowed two checked bags and one carry-on (purses and laptops don't count against this). Carry-ons are not weighed even if they are checked at the gate. Pack small heavy stuff in the carry-on and take 2 checked bags no more than 50 lbs. Beyond that you will be charged nad there is a maximum limit.

It's silly that it isn't a maximum total weight but they made the rule.

Actually, these rules are specific to individual airlines...as far as baggage goes. It also depends on the class of travel. First class or Business passengers (on United) are allowed 3 pieces of checked luggage per person.

Carry on bags are weighed by TACA. (not a domestic carrier, but they do weigh them)

I have never been charged for a 51lb bag, or any bag for that matter. I do weigh my bags before I leave for the airport, if I'm traveling with checked luggage (which I do about 75% of the time) - I have even had curbside guys say to me, "I don't weigh them unless they FEEL too heavy to me" - I have gotten to know a few of the curbside people in Denver, since I fly at least once a month.

As other people have said...the extra charge is probably for tanks... Otherwise, just don't say what's in the bags, and they don't care. As long as it's LEGAL to travel with in Checked Baggage. (again, depending on the airline's own regulations, they can vary from airline to airline)

<snip>Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.<snip>
I'm sadly amused by this contradiction....

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom