Am I too inexperienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decompressionable

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! So here goes...

I'm looking to take a drysuit course in a Penn. quarry this Jan. or Feb. I only have seven dives under my weight belt, but even after my first dive, I found myself completely at ease under the water (this is not to say that I wasn't safety conscience or complacent in that category). I learn quick and am one of those people who "get's things" - but maybe I'm starting drysuit too prematurely.

Basically, I want to eventually dive colder for NE wrecks.

Any honest input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No, it's not too early.

If you are confident that diving is for and the investment is justifed then do it. In colder regions it is not uncommon for divers to earn their OW certification in drysuits.

At this stage in your diving a professional course would probably be the best bet over a self learn or mentored situation.

Pete

I hear that some divers in the Pacific Northwest get OW certified in drysuits. If you feel comfortable, I would say go for it!

Most newbie divers don't take the drysuit course that quickly because drysuits are more costly to rent/buy than a wetsuit and the extra task-loading. They also require a little more maintenance than wetsuits. Considering the cost of even an entry-level drysuit, it's no wonder that most new divers spend their precious divebucks elsewhere (wetsuit, bcd, reg, computer).

Have fun and dive safe...

No, it's not too early.

If you are confident that diving is for and the investment is justifed then do it. In colder regions it is not uncommon for divers to earn their OW certification in drysuits.

At this stage in your diving a professional course would probably be the best bet over a self learn or mentored situation.

Pete

I'm already OW certified, but looking into the specialty diving course in drysuit. BUT I only have seven dives logged. So, you think it's not a big deal to take class in Jan./Feb.?

thanks for help!

If you currently can do your buoyant well underwater, then you will quickly learn how to use drysuit - that is what I would recommend.

Diving with a Drysuit is not an advanced skill. It just tends to be an expensive one. Don't worry about the class. Everyone does bad the first time they dive dry. It is very different. I wouldn't rush into buying a new Drysuit though, unless you really know you will be diving for a while.

Shouldn't be a problem. We do OW courses with students in dry suits at Dutch Springs every weekend. If they can handle it with ZERO logged dives, you should be fine with 7.

Ray

I think it is a great idea, even with 7 dives under your weight belt. I have certified students in OW in a drysuit. It is a good idea that you take a drysuit course. Are you planning on renting a suit, or purchasing one?

Taking the course will not only teach you how to dive in the suit, it will help you work more on buoyancy and give you 2 more logged dives.

The course should include a pool session before the OW dive to give you the confidence you will need.

If you are in the Pittsburgh area Uncle Joe's Scuba runs a Drysuit Special: Buy your Drysuit from us and receive the course for Free! Regularly $165.

It would be a great time to take it. So you don't start the spring with 7 dives that where 6 months prior. You should learn a lot. Have a great class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom