Drysuit diving - continual issues with air in legs/feet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great info in this thread. I am working out this issue myself and it is coming along but some of this will be helpful.

I don't understand this either. The new Scubapro "Tech" fin actually has interchangeable weights for the fins.
The thing with ankle weights is that they're a pound on each leg that you're working with each fin kick. You should be able to achieve proper trim by moving some weight lower on your body to achieve the same results.

The thing with ankle weights is that they're a pound on each leg that you're working with each fin kick. You should be able to achieve proper trim by moving some weight lower on your body to achieve the same results.

The thing with "heavier" fins is that they are on your feet and you are working them with each fin kick.

Some people tell you not to use ankle weights but tell you to use heavy fins : I don't understand this logic ! Either way you add weight to your feet.
because you are adding to equation instead of solving the problem.
also....ankle weights fall off. i have seen this many times.
i used to use ankle weights when tropical diving many years ago. i clipped them just below my knees and it helped trim me out.
it may work in some cases but it is not the best solution.

i used to use ankle weights when tropical diving many years ago. i clipped them just below my knees and it helped trim me out.
With heavier fins you solve the problem by adding weight, with ankle weights you solve the problem by adding weight : the same ! Either way you add weight to your feet. Ok it is worse with ankle weights as they might fell of...

Like @passeparici said: either way you are adding weight. While I agree proper technique, proper fitting suit and such is better what we are questioning here is what's the difference in adding weights vs getting heavier fins. Scubapro's new tech fin has interchangeable weights. How is this different than just throwing a little weight on your ankles? In my case my booties are too big so I am going to add some thicker base layer to take up as much of it as I can and then when time allows have the boots removed and socks added.

With heavier fins you solve the problem by adding weight, with ankle weights you solve the problem by adding weight : the same ! Either way you add weight to your feet. Ok it is worse with ankle weights as they might fell of...
One thing to consider is that heavier fins are often quite stiffer. Makes a difference on a frog kick when you have drag from a drysuit and stages.

Ankle weights don’t make your fin stiffer, you may or not want your fins to be stiff depending of what you plan to do.

Fins are a necessity. Ankle weights are not. I believe an XL SP Jet with spring straps has a negative buoyancy of -.6 lb per fin.

Alright. So I solved a lot of my issue by putting on a pair of thick neoprene socks to take up space in the boots for my dive yesterday. I still get quite a bit of air in the legs but am learning to be more proactive in working it and really only becomes an issue when my tanks (sidemount) get below 2000 PSI. I am perfectly trim and weighted otherwise.

Because my fins are positively buoyant I use 500 gram ankle weights. I use a weight jacket that has weight pockets low on the front of the thighs. The straps for both these mean a sudden rush of air to the feet is prevented. I have my weighting set so that my suit volume is only just above pinch and I dive with my bdc fully deflated. As I descend I add just enough air to maintain neutral buoyancy. This could probably be referred to as constant suit volume / displacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom