Drysuit diving - continual issues with air in legs/feet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, using the wing bcd kind of kept me from being able to get my feet slightly under me
How??? Feet too light?
- Just in my experience, having all the air at my back instead of wrapped around my sides meant that I stayed relatively horizontal relative to my feet even when moving up or down. With a jacket BCD, having the air wrapped around my sides and front too kind of makes me feel like I can rotate on that axis the way a foosball player does.
to let the air back into the body as the dive went on, at least it seemed like it (as I said, I've never used one before).
Use the muscles of your back and legs. A wing is only a BUOYANCY compensator. It does not force your joints into any position.
- My issues with this is that as a gangly, thin guy who is much more legs than torso, if I attempted to move my legs under me, my body would move in the opposite direction because I wouldn't have enough leverage to move myself that way. I would end up pulling my legs in (which I wanted) but would also pull my shoulders down (which of course I didn't).

I think it all comes down to just having more experience in general to prevent some of these problems, and also not biting off more than I can chew. I am doing my ocean dives with the drysuit at the end of the month, and requested a jacket BCD just to eliminate variables. I don't want to learn to manage two new things at the same time.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Hi all,
Just completed my first pool dive for the drysuit specialty. We used a wing bcd with it, which was a first for me.

I found that if I got horizontal (as we should when at the bottom) the legs and feet would fill with air as I kicked, slowly at first and then more quickly as time went on. I had to do several roll outs just to overcome it during the course of the training. I think with a wetsuit my legs would naturally bend at the knee so my feet would be slightly elevated, but I'm not sure I could hold my legs perfectly straight for the whole of a dive in a drysuit, either from habit or inflexibility. Also, using the wing bcd kind of kept me from being able to get my feet slightly under me to let the air back into the body as the dive went on, at least it seemed like it (as I said, I've never used one before). It had a heavy weighted backplate that would be good for weighting, but may have also made it harder to get my feet lower than my body. Again, that was just the feeling I had, as I am completely inexperienced with a wing bcd and a drysuit.

So, I guess my question is, what should I be doing to correct this? Is it solely a posture issue? Is it possible that too much or too little air in the bcd is throwing me off? Is it the bcd type? Add more weights? Any tips will be most welcome!
There are a few things to look at.
Too much air in your drysuit. Your drysuit inflation is not for buoyancy, that your BCD's job. Add air just to to eliminate the suit squeeze.

Try using ankle weights to adjust your trim and get your legs lower.

Or if once you eliminate squeeze and you need to add air to the b/c for buoyancy you may be over weighted.

Floaty legs can also be caused by being underweighted. If you are underweighted, you will tend to swim with your head down in order to stay down. This again causes the air to move to your feet.

If you are properly weighted, make sure your trim is OK. So, if you do not move arms/legs you should stay horizontal. If that is not the case, move your weights such that you do. If you are head heavy, you might want to move some weight in your leg pockets.

Finally, keeping your head slightly up can help. Make sure your arms are stretched out in front of you (tech diver style) helps to maintain your balance.

Hi all,
Just completed my first pool dive for the drysuit specialty. We used a wing bcd with it, which was a first for me.

I found that if I got horizontal (as we should when at the bottom) the legs and feet would fill with air as I kicked, slowly at first and then more quickly as time went on. I had to do several roll outs just to overcome it during the course of the training. I think with a wetsuit my legs would naturally bend at the knee so my feet would be slightly elevated, but I'm not sure I could hold my legs perfectly straight for the whole of a dive in a drysuit, either from habit or inflexibility. Also, using the wing bcd kind of kept me from being able to get my feet slightly under me to let the air back into the body as the dive went on, at least it seemed like it (as I said, I've never used one before). It had a heavy weighted backplate that would be good for weighting, but may have also made it harder to get my feet lower than my body. Again, that was just the feeling I had, as I am completely inexperienced with a wing bcd and a drysuit.

So, I guess my question is, what should I be doing to correct this? Is it solely a posture issue? Is it possible that too much or too little air in the bcd is throwing me off? Is it the bcd type? Add more weights? Any tips will be most welcome!
I had similar problems with feet too high. Most dry suit divers I have observed tend to be more vertical. To compensate for my diving position (also use backplate BCD) I first started diving with ankle weights. If you are in a group of dry suit divers (my experience) most will have ankle weights. the second thing I did after mastering roll outs and other maneuvers was to to add automatic air dumps at each ankle that only expel air when in a vertical above your head position. This was pretty inexpensive (dive shop only charged $100 for both installed) I have only demoed dumps in pool to make sure they work and how, but never needed them after several dives with ankle weights but feel pretty safe with the addition.

Some people tell you not to use ankle weights but tell you to use heavy fins : I don't understand this logic ! Either way you add weight to your feet.
I think there is nothing wrong with gaiters. They prevent air to go in the lower part of your legs and thus in your boots, that's what you want. Rock boots are also good.
Extend you legs a bit more, get straight from time to time to get rid of the air, if any, there is down your suit.
And for me, yes, I put less air in my suit (just for the squeeze or just a bit more) and control my buyoncy with my bcd.

Some people tell you not to use ankle weights but tell you to use heavy fins : I don't understand this logic ! Either way you add weight to your feet.
I don't understand this either. The new Scubapro "Tech" fin actually has interchangeable weights for the fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom