Am I too inexperienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certified in a dry suit. It does increase the task loading, but you learn how to manage it. And it's sure more comfortable in cold water!

When I took my drysuit class I had about 200 dives and the suit was a little too big and made me feel clumsy, like I'd never been diving before.

In contrast, I took one of my students on a drysuit dive (DUI Dog Days) last summer. She had about 20 dives and looked better on her first drysuit dive (in a suit that fit) than I had on my first 60 drysuit dives...I was SOOOO jealous but very proud of her at the same time. If you have good skills and a suit that fits you then you'll have a great time, if the suit is too large you're going to be hating life...been there, done that.
Ber :lilbunny:

you can never be too inexpirienced to learn. if you are taking a full certified DS course you will be fine. Just be aware that your already lacking bouyancy skills will be tested even further and be critically aware of your air bubble and you will be fine.

Go for it, my DS class was two weekends after I did my OW cert, when we got to the quarry and I hit the second thermocline I remembered why I wanted to go dry!
Allen

I have been in a dry suit from my first dive. I remember it fondly - water temp 46, air temp 45.

FWIW, I started diving dry with only 18 dives under my belt. I did not have any previous DS experience and opted not to take a DS course.

It is really not that big a deal and you should be fine in taking a course. I had some issues that I needed to work out (weighting, drag, one runaway ascent), but generally I was fine without any course, so you will be ok with 7 dives logged.

That's how they learn in Alaska as basic OW divers. So no, you are not too inexperienced.

I just got OW certified last week and I bought my drysuit today. Great deals on last year's model and my LDS was blowing out inventory. Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, the store gives the DS course along with the purchase.

Once that's done I'll be doing the Ice Diving course and diving a quarry just north of Toronto. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom