Am I the only one that dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always dive with two computers. We strongly suggest that everyone on our live-aboard trips have & wear redundant computers. It always seems that the one diver that has only one computer has a computer failure. Then they are unhappy when they have to sit out for 24 hours.
Dive tables won't work as a backup if you are doing a lot of diving like on a live-aboard.

Besides "the dive op says so", why won't tables work. My fallback plan is to put myself in PG Z (Padi tables), take a 3 hour SI, and go from there.

And where does your 24 hour requirement come from?

I've never dived (dove, diven) tech. Guess I'm just paranoid. I figure on my last trip I had about $900 into it and it would have been a major downer to have had a failure. Of course I also carry a lot of extra car, homeowners, life and health insurance.[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Following that logic, you should also dive with 2 tanks, two regulators, two masks, oh look you're a tech diver.
Seriously if your computer fails during NDL dive, go to surface, dive is over. If you are carrying redundancy to allow you to keep diving after a gear failure, then you will need a lot more than a computer.

We always dive with two computers. We strongly suggest that everyone on our live-aboard trips have & wear redundant computers. It always seems that the one diver that has only one computer has a computer failure. Then they are unhappy when they have to sit out for 24 hours.
Dive tables won't work as a backup if you are doing a lot of diving like on a live-aboard.

Uh, then you don't know how to use dive tables.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 01:45 PM ----------

Following that logic, you should also dive with 2 tanks, two regulators, two masks, oh look you're a tech diver.
Seriously if your computer fails during NDL dive, go to surface, dive is over. If you are carrying redundancy to allow you to keep diving after a gear failure, then you will need a lot more than a computer.

This guy must be a padi course dirctor lol

We always dive with two computers. We strongly suggest that everyone on our live-aboard trips have & wear redundant computers. It always seems that the one diver that has only one computer has a computer failure. Then they are unhappy when they have to sit out for 24 hours. Dive tables won't work as a backup if you are doing a lot of diving like on a live-aboard.

Dive tables won't work as a backup? Well, yes and no. Depends on the profile. There is no reason why anyone has to sit out 24 hours. Assuming you are diving with a buddy use his computer to plan your next dive and to come up with a starting group. Then continue diving using a profile that includes only two (or three if you don't mind the work) depths using tables. Use a bottom timer to track dive times and surface intervals.

If you're not on a live-aboard it's even simpler. I sometimes do three dives in one day and then not dive two days in a row. So, I would probably dive my buddy's computer making sure I stay close to his depth throughout the dive. BTW, I'm talking dives within the rec limits.

​
Besides "the dive op says so", why won't tables work. My fallback plan is to put myself in PG Z (Padi tables), take a 3 hour SI, and go from there.

And where does your 24 hour requirement come from?
Here's an article from DAN's Alert diver:Your Computer Fails: Now what?

Here's a quote:
"If circumstances require that you switch to a "fresh" machine, says Eric Douglas, director of DAN® Education, a diver will need an extended surface interval to allow his body to offgas accumulated nitrogen. "I would follow the flying-after-diving guidelines before considering myself clear enough to start over," he says. Those recommendations call for a minimum 12-hour surface interval for a single no-decompression dive or a minimum 18-hour interval for multiple dives or multiple days of diving."

I'm like to error on the conservative side. One dive - out for 12 hours, 2 dives - out for 18 hours, 3 or more dives - out for 24 hours, deco dives - out for 48 hours.

If a diver gets bent, it not only affects them but every diver on the live-aboard trip.

Always carry two computers on a trip but only dive with one. I've never had a computer fail but if it did it would be no big deal. I'd just end the dive and grab my other computer for the next dive.

I dive with three computers. Oceanic Atom on my wrist, Atomic Cobalt on my chest and an Oceanic DataMask on my face. Why you ask? I don't know. Maybe I need to seek some professional help. Wait a minute, I dive with my Dr. I think he needs more professional help than I do.

​Here's an article from DAN's Alert diver:Your Computer Fails: Now what?

Here's a quote:
"If circumstances require that you switch to a "fresh" machine, says Eric Douglas, director of DAN® Education, a diver will need an extended surface interval to allow his body to offgas accumulated nitrogen. "I would follow the flying-after-diving guidelines before considering myself clear enough to start over," he says. Those recommendations call for a minimum 12-hour surface interval for a single no-decompression dive or a minimum 18-hour interval for multiple dives or multiple days of diving."

I'm like to error on the conservative side. One dive - out for 12 hours, 2 dives - out for 18 hours, 3 or more dives - out for 24 hours, deco dives - out for 48 hours.

If a diver gets bent, it not only affects them but every diver on the live-aboard trip.

So, what we have is two folks who want to error on the safe side, compounding their safety margins.:shakehead:

But you do want to get yourself to a reasonably reliable start point for N2 loading. Reconstructing your dives on tables will work if your reconstructed dives do not exceed table limits. With more aggressive diving with a computer, they often do. I do understand that going to PG Z is not without its risks, but those risks are not difficult to manage with somewhat more conservative profiles rather than sitting on the deck for 24 hours, "just to be safe".

In that "no fly times" have so little decompression science in them, I am particularly concerned about using them as a basis for much of anything other than planning flights.

i dive with two computers most of the time...some times on beach dives less than 20 ft i cheat and only use one....

Back
Top Bottom