Am I the only one that dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Prior to my last trip I decided to purchase a backup computer in case my Luna fails. I bought an inexpensive (relatively speaking…) Zoop. I wore both of these on my wrist while diving. My thought process was that if the Luna fails then my backup already knows my nitrogen sat and required SI. However, unless others had their backup hidden in an orifice somewhere on their body, I was the only one diving with two computers. Just wondering if anyone else dives with two computers or am I being overly paranoid about a computer failure (and screwed up 24 subsequent hours of diving…)

Nope, most of the tech divers I know are diving a backup.

sometimes yes, sometimes no....

The Zoop makes a great backup. Enjoy.

for recreational dives, no need, just use your tables. Would never recommend a Zoop to anyone personally, but you aren't alone diving backup computers.

While not a tech diver, I consider diving with 2 computers SOP for me, PLUS a separate SPG as well. I've been known to dive with 3 computers sometimes. :)

for recreational dives, no need, just use your tables.
We always dive with two computers. We strongly suggest that everyone on our live-aboard trips have & wear redundant computers. It always seems that the one diver that has only one computer has a computer failure. Then they are unhappy when they have to sit out for 24 hours.
Dive tables won't work as a backup if you are doing a lot of diving like on a live-aboard.

I almost always dive with 2 computers. If I am below 30 feet I may use only one.

As others have stated, this is typical for tech divers. I mostly dive rec at this point, but since my tech training I have always dived with two computers, even on those easy shallow dives. I think it would be very rare for someone that didn't have any tech training to dive with two. Not unknown, just rare.

I always dive with two. It's common enough that Oceanic came out with a small, cheap computer specifically designed as a back-up - the B.U.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom