Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air integrated is ideal...
Air integration is a nice feature, but it's that doesn't make it ideal. AI has definite advantages over an SPG, but the reverse is also true. Which one is preferable will vary from diver to diver. Some even use both.

The point is you don't need to save up $1k+ for an AI dive computer and transmitter. Everything you need as a recreational diver can be found in any single gas Nitrox-compatible computer. The Mares Puck Pro+ which is currently on sale at $180 is what I would recommend if cost was a primary issue.

Reactions: L13
Air integration is a nice feature, but it's that doesn't make it ideal. AI has definite advantages over an SPG, but the reverse is also true. Which one is preferable will vary from diver to diver. Some even use both.

The point is you don't need to save up $1k+ for an AI dive computer and transmitter. Everything you need as a recreational diver can be found in any single gas Nitrox-compatible computer. The Mares Puck Pro+ which is currently on sale at $180 is what I would recommend if cost was a primary issue.

So just curious, are you comparing a wrist unit with a remote traducer that connects to a HP port on reg vs a hose unit? If so then I agree but if you are comparing a wrist model with no traducer on the tank to one that is either integrated or has a receiver/transmitter then no.
Here why:

Air Integrated Dive Computers​

An air integrated computer can read your cylinder pressure and reports it back to you which eliminates the need for a pressure gauge. Some dive computers take the cylinder pressure reading a step further, for example, they can calculate the number of minutes of air remaining at the current depth and exertion level.
A neat feature of these type of dive computers is that you can synchronize it with your PC or laptop to create an after dive report that shows you the amount of air you were drawing from the cylinder at any time adjusted for surface pressure.
This is useful to learn in which part of the dive you used the most air. When you know this you can practice slower breathing at this point on your next dive, which should result in less air consumption.
The air integrated dive computer, as the name states, must be connected with your air supply. There are two options to do so.
Quoted from several Dive Web sites.

I would like to add that I also have an Analogue Pressure Gauge on both my primary and secondary Regs.

Back
Top Bottom