Am I the only one that dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I prefer the manufacturer who starts their manual with a bunch of legalese that spells you're gonna die! instead of the paternalism. If they don't understand they can't stop me from resetting the device they're not qualified to make the device.

You have the right computer for you. But for those divers who buy a rec-oriented computer with the idea that it's going to help keep them safe, I would suggest they stick with what the computer and manual tell them to do or not do. To buy a computer specifically aimed at less technically inclined divers and then ignore (or circumvent) features that the manufacturer included with the intention of helping those divers stay safe seems pointless. "I'll do what the computer tells me because it's trying to keep me safe ... but maybe if I feel I want to dive more than it tells me I can then I'll just reset it." Not a good idea unless one really knows what one is doing. You may know what you're doing, but I would venture to guess that most divers who buy that kind of computer do not.

Maybe my point is that I think divers should choose one or the other: either choose to dive with a tech-oriented computer, tables, Minimum Deco, or some such plan, OR choose to dive with a rec-oriented computer (in Dive Mode) and stick to what it tells you. Mixing and matching and changing from one to the other doesn't sound like the best idea to me. If a diver is going to carry a second rec-oriented computer as a backup, I suggest keeping it in Dive Mode and following what it says on subsequent dives.

I dive with one computer as well... i would not buy another computer to use as a backup. If i happened to have another one that i couldn't resell then i'd probably put i to use as a backup.

Otherwise, computer failure means switch to tables, not wait 24 hours.

Maybe my point is that I think divers should choose one or the other: either choose to dive with a tech-oriented computer, tables, Minimum Deco, or some such plan, OR choose to dive with a rec-oriented computer (in Dive Mode) and stick to what it tells you. Mixing and matching and changing from one to the other doesn't sound like the best idea to me.
And mine is either you think you know what you're doing or not, and neither of those has ever stopped anyone. When a manufacturer adds more fool-proof features nature comes up with a better fool.
If a diver is going to carry a second rec-oriented computer as a backup, I suggest keeping it in Dive Mode and following what it says on subsequent dives.
No argument there.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2015 at 01:08 PM ----------

Otherwise, computer failure means switch to tables, not wait 24 hours.
And if you use the tables to back-calculate your N2 loading and they tell you to wait 24 hours?

And if you use the tables to back-calculate your N2 loading and they tell you to wait 24 hours?

I can't see such a scenario (maybe you could illustrate one)... at worst you have to wait 3 hours to come out at pressure group A. As long as you didn't enter deco previously and you don't want to back-calculate with square profiles just use pressure group Z, which would be ultra conservative (i believe this was mentioned before).

I can't see such a scenario (maybe you could illustrate one)...
No, I was hoping you'd illustrate my earlier point about having a computer between the ears. Which you did. Thank you.

You can do as you please. But I would know whether the prior dive was within NDL or not at the time of the failure. If within NDL, I would understand that my problem with the tables is I was not running the dive as a multi-level dive so the table was giving me overly conservative results. I would probably try to reconstruct my dive as a multi-level dive or simply put myself in PG Z and go from there. No 24 hour SI unless the previous dive exceeded NDLs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom