Am I the only one paying for equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude223

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

It seems that most divers that I talk to have received there equipment at 50% off or are buying equipment for rock bottom prices.

I I have paid a lot for my gear.

Is is the only way to advance in diving cost wise is to know the right people.

I paid and continue to pay a lot for my equipment. I think developing a relationship with your LDS will eventually help in establishing better price availability. If you have a good LDS that is. I used to, but they changed management and went drastically downhill. I have also had good luck with beaverdivers (a supporter here on our forum) and Leisure Pro, an online vendor.

There are deals to be had, but I for one don't get any special discounts at most places. Best way to save it to really know what you want before plunking down money. Most divers go through a series of gear changes before they find what really works for their diving.

I have the best dive shop around in my opinion lol. I've paid a premium for some gear and got deep drastic discounts on others. Buying used is also a good way to go if you trust the people you're Buying from. Once I went tech and public service diving I couldn't keep up with cost of new gear so used it is. If you have a good shop in town talk to them about used gear before you buy and the cost of rebuilds. I always try and support my lds any way I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only "deals" I get are by being shrewd when it comes to purchasing second-hand gear. There is a lot of stuff that you can find lightly used for half the price of new, or even better. You just have to commit to knowing what you want, knowing what price you are willing to pay for it, and keeping a look out and when it comes up, jump on it.

You can get a lot of good deals by purchasing the previous model, or by taking advantage of times when people are unloading the last model when the new one comes out. For example, when the Petrel 2 hit the market, a ton of original Petrels went up on the boards because people wanted the newest model. That drove the price of the original down, as well as previous models like the Predator. My latest purchase was a Predator EXT model for 1/3rd of the price it sold for when new. And I like to keep the karma rolling by selling my stuff cheap. It gets guys into good quality gear for not a lot of money.

It's also good to keep a keen eye out for people getting out of diving. I've gotten some great deals from guys who have had to quit diving and just want their gear to go on to someone who will use it.

Then again there is some stuff you buy new and you pay what you have to. Most things aren't like this though, and you can regularly get fins, regs, wings, and computers on the cheap.

A lot of times it helps to pick up the phone too. Give a call to Dive Right In Scuba, Dive Gear Express, and Cave Adventurers (they're all my local dive shops thousands of miles away), they're often willing to work on prices or give discounts. Also, I've found that generally they have better prices, or will price match other places. Sometimes they'll have stuff that isn't on their websites, stuff they find in the back, etc.

The only "deals" I get are by being shrewd when it comes to purchasing second-hand gear. There is a lot of stuff that you can find lightly used for half the price of new, or even better. You just have to commit to knowing what you want, knowing what price you are willing to pay for it, and keeping a look out and when it comes up, jump on it.You can get a lot of good deals by purchasing the previous model, or by taking advantage of times when people are unloading the last model when the new one comes out. For example, when the Petrel 2 hit the market, a ton of original Petrels went up on the boards because people wanted the newest model. That drove the price of the original down, as well as previous models like the Predator. My latest purchase was a Predator EXT model for 1/3rd of the price it sold for when new. And I like to keep the karma rolling by selling my stuff cheap. It gets guys into good quality gear for not a lot of money.It's also good to keep a keen eye out for people getting out of diving. I've gotten some great deals from guys who have had to quit diving and just want their gear to go on to someone who will use it.Then again there is some stuff you buy new and you pay what you have to. Most things aren't like this though, and you can regularly get fins, regs, wings, and computers on the cheap.A lot of times it helps to pick up the phone too. Give a call to Dive Right In Scuba, Dive Gear Express, and Cave Adventurers (they're all my local dive shops thousands of miles away), they're often willing to work on prices or give discounts. Also, I've found that generally they have better prices, or will price match other places. Sometimes they'll have stuff that isn't on their websites, stuff they find in the back, etc.
This realy sums it up. Know what you want and keep an eye out on Craigslist and EBay and you can get great deals.

The day you drive your new car off the dealer's lot, it is worth about 80% of the list price. Your new scuba gear is more like 50%.

I've found some great deals on here to, lots of Good people getting rid of some good stuff for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I buy used most of the time and mostly from our LDS. I do get the DM discount, which I THINK is 15% or 20%. Not sure which as I buy stuff so infrequently it's not a concern.

I don't think I have paid full price for anything diving... Always buy used or on sale... Just bought a really nice conshelf XIV supreme regulator set for $114 with shipping and he threw in a weight belt and 2 nice net bags... :D

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom