Am i going insane or how many tanks you need :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Perhaps someone found a solution to this problem...uncontrolled scuba tanks collection expansion:)

I have:
two of MP 100, for diving
two of MP 120 with H valves, for diving with smaller folks
two sets of LP72 doubles to dive offshore
two sets of LP85 doubles so i can overfill em :)

i still need set of HP120 for deep dives
set of MP80 for class sessions @ BW

Does it seems like i need help? (as some people in household think) or perhaps my collection is nothing to talk about and i can be saved? What you guys/gals think good set up should have.?

I have sometanks that you dont have, 1954 steel rene USD bail bottle. 1945 steel converted scuba bottle..
6 72's and AL 80 and an al 30..

want any more 72's? im getting rid of those and the other steels

Andrew, just tell your wife they're breeding...

Perhaps someone found a solution to this problem...uncontrolled scuba tanks collection expansion:)

I have:
two of MP 100, for diving
two of MP 120 with H valves, for diving with smaller folks
two sets of LP72 doubles to dive offshore
two sets of LP85 doubles so i can overfill em :)

i still need set of HP120 for deep dives
set of MP80 for class sessions @ BW

Does it seems like i need help? (as some people in household think) or perhaps my collection is nothing to talk about and i can be saved? What you guys/gals think good set up should have.?

I'll trade you my collection of snorkels found at the breakwater for a couple AL 80s. :D

Some people just like to have a lot of gear, in which case there is nothing wrong with having all those tanks. But if you are actually wondering how to reduce the gear in your garage, I would say that unless getting fills is onerous (e.g. can't be done on a weekly basis due to distance to dive shop), you probably have a lot of redundant tanks. My tank collection (which is overkill) looks like:

1 set of LP85s for recreational diving
1 set of LP85s for "smaller" tech dives
1 set of HP120s for "bigger" tech dives
1 set of 72s for ???
2 single HP100s (shared with Rob) for night dives, Monastery, etc.
a lot of stage bottles and deco bottles

I think each tank should have a purpose, otherwise it is just taking up space in the garage. When I originally moved to doubles, I had one set of LP85s that always had 32% in it. Then when I took T1, I got a second set, since clearly moving back and forth between 32% and mix did not make sense. At that point I pretty much always had 32% in one set, and always had 21/35 in one set. Then I took T2, and needed a bigger set of tanks. So I got the 120s. Now I have one set of 85s that always has 32% in it, one set of 85s that typically has 18/45 (because it is more versatile, but occasionally 21/35 is in there for specific dives), and one big set of doubles that goes back and forth between 18/45 and 15/55. Those three sets of doubles alone (along with stages in pretty much every gas from 32% through 15/55) is basically all I need to be ready to do whatever dive I would want up to 250' on a moment's notice.

I have the 72s because I love the idea of a small, lightweight set of doubles to dive at Monastery. In truth, I have never dived them there... I used to dive the 85s there, and these days I typically dive single tanks there. In reality, the 72s serve more as a backup set of doubles in case I don't get around to getting my 85s filled. The single tanks are also a sort of backup set of tanks, so if both Rob and I don't get around to filling our 32% doubles, between the 72s and the two single tanks, we can both still dive. So the 72s could clearly go, and if I were going to sell a set, those would be the ones (but they're just so cute!)

Rob is in a similar situation, where he has 4 sets of doubles, and one of them could easily go (he has two sets of big tanks, HP120s and LP104s, and he could live happily without the 104s).

So, I don't know what diving you are doing, but it seems like there must be some overlap between all of your tanks. Why do you need two sets of 72s when you also have 120s? These are almost the same volume of gas, so I don't see a need for both (and really don't see a need for two sets of 72s, unless it is difficult for you to get fills between dive days). Ditto for two sets of 85s, unless they hold different gases.

Allison

Hey Andrew,

Humm, if it would help with your insanity I'll take a set of LP 85's off your hands ;-).

Allison, different mixes is exactly why i have em all. and 72s :) well you pointed it out, they are just so cute. :) i cant let em go.

I need another set of doubles myself - And I'm always willing to accept gear if it helps sanity.

I'm his neighbor & I have a big garage & am happy to "store" the overflow of his tank obsession :wink:! :rofl3:

Let me count the tanks in the garage...
Two MP100's that I use for single tank diving
One HP120 that gets used only for SoCal dive boats
Two HP80's that my daughter uses
Two AL80 deco tanks
Two AL40 deco tanks
Two AL30 deco tanks
One AL30 pony tank
One AL80 neutral tank that I should cull out.
One set of LP108's
One set of LP95's
Two LP45 deco tanks
For the compressor and/or mixing gases: 5 bank bottles, 1 oxygen bottle, 1 helium bottle.

Almost all get used on a regular basis. :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom