Am I a candidate to pursue DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawktah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I have a lot of questions and concerns. I am very interested in the concept of "doing it right" but first off, does this only pertain to technical diving? I'd hate to think that recreational diving in any form since it deviates from these practices is in essence "doing it wrong?" I have recently had some experiences with dive shops that I find bothersome. I am annoyed that a LDS can deviate this far away from the training I just received, and in essence could cause harm? I am not going to mention the dives shops or even their location since I am only concerned about my personal safety I have no intentions of doing any reporting. Please let me know if you are a DIR diver for how long and whether you think I am a candidate based on how I feel about the following.

Ironically when I was doing research to buy our BCDs I was going to buy BP/W and at last minute decided against it since they weren't as easy to obtain locally in Chicago. I have read the list of equipment in DIR and initially wanted to ask as to whether this system can be adapted to tropical warm water diving? Secondarily, do any of you have any knowledge of any DIR divers diving in tropical waters? I wouldn't want to pursue DIR-F if the only DIR-F diver within 1,000 miles is just me. Currently I am diving with my wife, we began our training while we were engaged. We both ahve 27 dives, about 1/3 EANx. I do believe in a little over a year from now when we decide to have a child it may be the end of her diving. I think she may just stop diving afterwards. Just a hunch. I am not sure she would be as willing to dedicate herself to the strenuous rigors of DIR either. This is when I would begin my DIR-F training if based on the other circumstances I am about to discuss direct me to DIR.

How close to the PADI training are LDS supposed to adhere? My last trip was the first time I was on a dive boat with 14 divers and only 2 DM going down. After my giant stride entry I turn to give my "O.K." signal, and to my irritation there wasn't a soul on the stern of the boat. What if I wasn't O.k.??? Is this just a flaw in the training to begin with? Diving with the last few LDS they directed us not to worry about snorkels since we'll be coming right back to the boat. I insisted that my wife and I still take them since they are clearly part of what you are trained to use. On this dive the waves were 1-3 feet and if we had some type of equipment failure occur during the dive was I supposed to buddy breath in this type of surf? Am I just being too picky??? My wife and I have dove on our own without using a dive shop so we are some what comfortable with being abandoned, however on these trips the DM was last to get in and instructed us to meet up on the bottom. The bottom, why not meet on surface and descend together? In the group of 14 divers we were divided into a group of 7 and we were instructed to follow the DM around on a "tour" During the tour my wife and I started out in positions 3 and 4 however on the way back we shifted to the back of the pack. Since I am taking up the rear I look up and noticed that the diver in front of me has lost his tank out of the band and its floating above his head. The DM was at least 50 feet away and never noticed this situation. Once I saw the DM wasn't aware of this situation I stopped the diver and put his tank back into the band and tightened it as best as I could. When we got on the boat the DM was dumbfounded as to why I was being thanked by the diver. I also wonder why these LDS poke fun because I want to wear a full 3mm suit with hood in 85 degree water as if "I" am doing something wrong. To me diving is serious and I am just trying to determine if I should be looking to dive with serious divers and to join the ranks of DIR. My joy comes from underwater photography, does this conflict with DIR? I do have the desire to see and photograph at least one U-Boat wreck but have little desire to penetrate wrecks or do any cave diving. How will this effect the DIR-F training and continued training? Do GUE, NAUI and some of the other certifying organizations have more stringent guidelines for divers to follow? Once I become DIR, GUE certified do you get left alone by LDS or do they make you still "follow the tour?" Are there any DIR, GUE shops in the Caribbean?

Over the next year can I gradually switch my equipment over to the Hogarthian set-up or should you do it all at once? Do you need a list of my current gear? If you can do it gradually which component of the set-up should you change first. We currently use the Knighthawk set up so I am already familiar with wing type BCD. I also am aware of the fact I need to get in greater physical shape. I am 41 so it isn't as easy as I used to be. Once I go doubles and DIR can you or should you dive using the old techniques? Now some sensitive questions. For men, they have the condom and the valves for drysuit diving. What are women supposed to use? I know that is going to be the first thing my wife is going to ask me. Since I have already talked to her about drysuit diving in the Caribbean.

Sorry for all the questions at once, I am just getting annoyed with LDS.

Utilizing man made devices to go beneath the water requires a lot of trust.

Chris Howard, candidate for DIR?

Dawktah:
Hello!

I apologize in advance for the length of this post but I have a lot of questions and concerns. I am very interested in the concept of "doing it right" but first off, does this only pertain to technical diving? I'd hate to think that recreational diving in any form since it deviates from these practices is in essence "doing it wrong?" I have recently had some experiences with dive shops that I find bothersome. I am annoyed that a LDS can deviate this far away from the training I just received, and in essence could cause harm? I am not going to mention the dives shops or even their location since I am only concerned about my personal safety I have no intentions of doing any reporting. Please let me know if you are a DIR diver for how long and whether you think I am a candidate based on how I feel about the following.

Ironically when I was doing research to buy our BCDs I was going to buy BP/W and at last minute decided against it since they weren't as easy to obtain locally in Chicago. I have read the list of equipment in DIR and initially wanted to ask as to whether this system can be adapted to tropical warm water diving? Secondarily, do any of you have any knowledge of any DIR divers diving in tropical waters? I wouldn't want to pursue DIR-F if the only DIR-F diver within 1,000 miles is just me. Currently I am diving with my wife, we began our training while we were engaged. We both ahve 27 dives, about 1/3 EANx. I do believe in a little over a year from now when we decide to have a child it may be the end of her diving. I think she may just stop diving afterwards. Just a hunch. I am not sure she would be as willing to dedicate herself to the strenuous rigors of DIR either. This is when I would begin my DIR-F training if based on the other circumstances I am about to discuss direct me to DIR.

How close to the PADI training are LDS supposed to adhere? My last trip was the first time I was on a dive boat with 14 divers and only 2 DM going down. After my giant stride entry I turn to give my "O.K." signal, and to my irritation there wasn't a soul on the stern of the boat. What if I wasn't O.k.??? Is this just a flaw in the training to begin with? Diving with the last few LDS they directed us not to worry about snorkels since we'll be coming right back to the boat. I insisted that my wife and I still take them since they are clearly part of what you are trained to use. On this dive the waves were 1-3 feet and if we had some type of equipment failure occur during the dive was I supposed to buddy breath in this type of surf? Am I just being too picky??? My wife and I have dove on our own without using a dive shop so we are some what comfortable with being abandoned, however on these trips the DM was last to get in and instructed us to meet up on the bottom. The bottom, why not meet on surface and descend together? In the group of 14 divers we were divided into a group of 7 and we were instructed to follow the DM around on a "tour" During the tour my wife and I started out in positions 3 and 4 however on the way back we shifted to the back of the pack. Since I am taking up the rear I look up and noticed that the diver in front of me has lost his tank out of the band and its floating above his head. The DM was at least 50 feet away and never noticed this situation. Once I saw the DM wasn't aware of this situation I stopped the diver and put his tank back into the band and tightened it as best as I could. When we got on the boat the DM was dumbfounded as to why I was being thanked by the diver. I also wonder why these LDS poke fun because I want to wear a full 3mm suit with hood in 85 degree water as if "I" am doing something wrong. To me diving is serious and I am just trying to determine if I should be looking to dive with serious divers and to join the ranks of DIR. My joy comes from underwater photography, does this conflict with DIR? I do have the desire to see and photograph at least one U-Boat wreck but have little desire to penetrate wrecks or do any cave diving. How will this effect the DIR-F training and continued training? Do GUE, NAUI and some of the other certifying organizations have more stringent guidelines for divers to follow? Once I become DIR, GUE certified do you get left alone by LDS or do they make you still "follow the tour?" Are there any DIR, GUE shops in the Caribbean?

Over the next year can I gradually switch my equipment over to the Hogarthian set-up or should you do it all at once? Do you need a list of my current gear? If you can do it gradually which component of the set-up should you change first. We currently use the Knighthawk set up so I am already familiar with wing type BCD. I also am aware of the fact I need to get in greater physical shape. I am 41 so it isn't as easy as I used to be. Once I go doubles and DIR can you or should you dive using the old techniques? Now some sensitive questions. For men, they have the condom and the valves for drysuit diving. What are women supposed to use? I know that is going to be the first thing my wife is going to ask me. Since I have already talked to her about drysuit diving in the Caribbean.

Sorry for all the questions at once, I am just getting annoyed with LDS.

Utilizing man made devices to go beneath the water requires a lot of trust.

Chris Howard, candidate for DIR?

I think you ran into a bad operator... not per se an agency issue.... they ttain you to dive, not how the operation of dive boats/operators should run.

But in my opinion... everyone is a candidate for DIR. Start with Fundies and see from there......

It might be a "region" since the above discussions were more than one LDS

You have some significant misconception's it seems about DIR. I'll answer a few of your questions, and let others take the rest.

1. DIR works fine for recreational or technical diving. Nearly all my diving is recreational in nature, and I suspect most GUE trained divers are doing the same.

2. Are there GUE divers in the caribbiean? Sure.

3. A drysuit is not necessary to dive DIR. I don't own one yet.

4. Hogarthian diving does not require you to have any particular kind of gear, though DIR does. Doing it gradually is realistic for most people, but it complicates certain things.

5. You will not wear a snorkel in DIR diving. You can carry one in your pocket though and use it if you will need it.

6. The idea of needing a DM is an issue. Either you are ready to dive on your own or you are not. This is not a "DIR" thing, it is an issue of basic competence. I had over 60 dives before I ever saw a DM.

7. DIR is not the Marines. It does not require rigorous adherence to any specialized program. It's really more about a mindset of being safe when you dive, not taking a bunch of crap with you that you don't need, keeping your skills sharp, and being aware of your surroundings.

Best of luck in your future diving.

Nicely put. Nothing to add.

Tobin

PerroneFord:
You have some significant misconception's it seems about DIR. I'll answer a few of your questions, and let others take the rest.

1. DIR works fine for recreational or technical diving. Nearly all my diving is recreational in nature, and I suspect most GUE trained divers are doing the same.

4. Hogarthian diving does not require you to have any particular kind of gear, though DIR does. Doing it gradually is realistic for most people, but it complicates certain things.

5. You will not wear a snorkel in DIR diving. You can carry one in your pocket though and use it if you will need it.

6. The idea of needing a DM is an issue. Either you are ready to dive on your own or you are not. This is not a "DIR" thing, it is an issue of basic competence. I had over 60 dives before I ever saw a DM.

7. DIR is not the Marines. It does not require rigorous adherence to any specialized program. It's really more about a mindset of being safe when you dive, not taking a bunch of crap with you that you don't need, keeping your skills sharp, and being aware of your surroundings.

PerroneFord:

Thanks, where I currently dive there aren't too many shore diving locations so you must be taken the the sites by boat and then that means you must follow their rules. Thus the "tour." We are O.K. with renting tanks only! I wouldn't have even gotten involved with the LDS except for getting to the sites. I was going to put in my original post about the DIR and no snorkel, but PADI OW states you need one. I like following rules, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not a DIR trained diver, but I am a part time Caribbean dive bum, and can say from my experience you won't run into many DIR or tech type divers in Caribbean unless you are close to cave country, like PDC, Mexico. My buddy and I are usually the only ones diving with a Hog configuration on Caribbean charter boats. I think you would learn skills to make you and your wife a safe dive team so it won't matter so much about how other people are diving.

PerroneFord:

If you do not have the signatures from dive shops how credibly are your log books treated if they are almost exclusively co-signed by your spouse? Tech pre-reqs 100 dives, EANx and below 100'?

Chris

Dawktah:
If you do not have the signatures from dive shops how credibly are your log books treated if they are almost exclusively co-signed by your spouse? Tech pre-reqs 100 dives, EANx and below 100'?

Chris

Chris, I took Deco Procedures and Technical Diver (both require over 100 dives) and neither instructor even looked at my dive log. A good instructor will talk about your diving and dive with you to judge whether or not you are ready.

Wheww, Chris, you need to chill a little.
While I do have a DIR-F card, I choose not to go full DIR. It's just not necessary for the diving I do. I prefer my BC to a BP and like using my computer, nothing wrong with either, rather it‘s a matter of personal preference. I found a lot of things I really liked about GUE training and some things I did not care for. I have picked and chose the items that made sense to me and incorporated them into my diving style. I do think the name "doing it right" leaves something to be desired, doing it standard may be better. DIR is as much about being “standard” as anything. I will say the skills traing part of the DIR-F course is likely the best going and was the part of the class I found most useful. There is nothing "wrong" with a BC or not diving a long hose config, it's just different, in the right situations either are perfectly safe. Safe competent divers come geared in all sorts of ways. I would bet it’s rare a REAL DIR diver would refuse to dive with someone simply because they are not “DIR” as long as the dive did not dictate otherwise, internet wannabes are a different matter. Unsafe or careless divers are a totally different matter. Frankly, I would not dive with someone with that attitude, DIR or not, way to macho to be a safe diver.
Diving is not an absolute sport, many divers and locations do things differently, often dictated by local conditions. Your mention of no snorkels is a good example. Tech divers (and DIR trained divers) don’t normally carry snorkels for good reasons. I never dive with one unless required by the boat and then it’s stowed away and not on my mask. DM’s are another example, here in NC we never have DM’s in the water except for training dives. You hit the water with your buddy and go, we assume you are a real diver and know what you are doing. Oking on the surface waste time, with waves and currents we have you stand a lot better chance of getting swept away from the anchor line.
My honest opinion is, chill out some, find several good experienced buddies and spend some time diving and learn from them. Learn what works for you and then if you want to go full DIR, have at it.

To you last questions, why would you want or need a dry suit in the Caribbean? Enjoy the warm water and diving freedom of no exposure suits, just pee away. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom