Am I a candidate to pursue DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I also have to approach it mathematically. Too much expense and I might as well go CCR. I'd get more bang for buck since I am doing either for photography. As I want to photograph a U-Boat, Coelacanth and a few other deep subjects.

cmalinowski:
Highly unlikely. While I don't know the knighthawk, a quick google search and look at the BCD would lead me to believe that's not possible.

While gear config is just a part of GUE/DIR, it's done the way it is as part of the foundation for doing everything else...

I'd talk to one of the instructors. They will be glad to help you understand better than I can...

As for CCR, they would be happy to discuss that with you as well :)

Chris
Not to harp in this point, but I didn't want it to look like a "just get a bp/w setup" response. But, in essense, I am still working in fixing all of the mistakes I made along the way. Some of the things you can customize to suit your needs/personality, but most are as they are. I have "other than black" jets and an "other than black" crotch strap. But in general I am outfitted just like my buddies. I know where there stuff is. They know where mine is. If I have a malfunction, there stuff and spare parts fix my stuff and vise versa. I know how to work their stuff--try finding the purge on a posiedon reg when your out of gas. There is an amazing comfort level in knowing all of this that helps you concentrate on other important stuff. You, and equally importantly your buddy, should never have to worry that you are "other than normally" configured.

And, used stuff works great in this area. A backplate rarely goes bad and webbing is cheap. You can probably sell your stuff and convert over for very minimal cost if you research.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Chris

I'm hoping I can use my Knighthawk for DIR and replace it as last piece of equipment.

The answer to this is to define what "for DIR" means. If you're talking about taking DIR-F, the course requires a BP/W setup. You can, however, get a formal introduction to DIR through either 5thD-X's Essentials class or a workshop like the one my Fundies instructor is running, which will require the long hose/bungied backup regulator setup, but is okay with whatever BC you are using, so long as it fits and you can trim it out properly.

But if you are just talking about trying to move your own diving toward DIR, you can switch your hoses to a 5' primary and bungied backup, and begin working on buoyancy and trim and non-silting kicks, and the only significant purchase you need to make to do that is a pair of non-split, fairly stiff fins. And at the same time, you can work on an equally important but often not discussed part of "being DIR", which is situational awareness and team skills.

Eventually, if this approach to diving appeals to you, you will end up seeing the value of the gear standardization, and the Knighthawk will go. But you might never decide to go that far -- my husband hasn't . . . yet.

Dawktah:
I guess I didn't elaborate my thought correctly. I was hoping I could still dive with the Knighthawk while replacing everything else first, then buy the BP/W last, -or- should I replace BCD first keep using my remaining equipment and replace the regs last? I have Oceanic Omega II and VT Pro computer. I'd have to eBay those to feel comfortable after that expense. There is a hardplate with holes that "looks" like you can attach doubles??? Take DIR-F after I buy the final piece

I would say the long hose is going to be the biggest thing to deal with, so you probably want that piece first (provided it works with your BCD), and then probably fins, and then the BP/W. I think the Knighthawk is a back-inflate (?), so it should serve you reasonably decently for awhile still...

YMMV...

(yeah, and ditto on everything Lynne said -- just get yourself a 5-7' primary hose and get someone to start teaching you know to stow and deploy it, first, and work on trim, buoyancy and kicks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom