Am I a candidate to pursue DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Lamont, given what I have seen when diving with CCR divers, I am going to call BS.
Why?

I can show you lots of close-up pics that I've taken on OC ... and I'm not even a real photographer, but just a diver who likes to take pictures.

In my experience, bubbles don't scare fish ... they get scared because something big enough to eat them approaches them, obviously intending to make them a target of something, and they scuttle into a hiding hole to avoid becoming lunch.

If you're careful in your approach, most times you'll be able to get close enough for macro shots without scaring the fish. It takes patience and good buoyancy control ... not a CCR.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I am not saying that this cannot be done on OC. Most of the photographs of marine life we see today are done on OC.

CCR gives photographer divers a few advantages that I can see.

1. Time. The average single tank diver trying to take photos of marine life is often very limited for time. In warm shallow water, a CCR diver has HOURS of time to find subjects, wait, compose, shoot, recompose, shoot, find another subject, etc...

2. Quiet. The CCR is quieter than the OC. I don't think there is any doubt in this. While a skilled OC diver can approach, I think it's just easier on a CCR. Perhaps this is because many (certainly not all) CCR divers have recieved additional training and hopefully have better buoyancy control

3. Hovering. By design it is easier to hover on CCR than OC.

4. Depth. Because of the nature of CCR, it is easier to follow subjects to depth that might be troublesome for OC divers. This of course ties back to time.

TheRedHead:
Chris, I took Deco Procedures and Technical Diver (both require over 100 dives) and neither instructor even looked at my dive log. A good instructor will talk about your diving and dive with you to judge whether or not you are ready.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, if an instructor didn't talk to me prior to a course to gauge overall experience, competence and mindset, I'd take my money elsewhere.

I think the biggest advantage to CCRs is, of course, gas usage. You don't have to carry as much gas for extended range diving.

Dawktah:
If you do not have the signatures from dive shops how credibly are your log books treated if they are almost exclusively co-signed by your spouse? Tech pre-reqs 100 dives, EANx and below 100'?

Chris
I have approx. 250 dives and the only signatures I have on any of them is an instructors sig. on certification dives. I never get a buddy to sign.

Joe

Being a fan of PBS television, SCR and CCR are widely used for underwater photography and videography for the above listed reasons. The units cost as much as a small car so I won't be able to get one any time soon but will pursue DIR-F first. I doubt DIR gear will cost as much as CCR? This should only improve my abilities once I can go to CCR.

Dawktah:
Being a fan of PBS television, SCR and CCR are widely used for underwater photography and videography for the above listed reasons. The units cost as much as a small car so I won't be able to get one any time soon but will pursue DIR-F first. I doubt DIR gear will cost as much as CCR? This should only improve my abilities once I can go to CCR.

SCR and CCR are used widely by a very small group of people. When you look at total units on the market for some manufacturers, you'd be amazed at how small the footprint is. I think the Ourboros has about 60 units worldwide...

Not all the units cost as much as a small car. Some are relatively inexpensive. As for whether DIR gear will cost far less, don't count on it. If you are going to dive steel tanks, you're going to need the tanks (about $600-$1000 new) and a drysuit to provide your redundant lift ($1500-$2500). The BP/W is going to set you back $500-$600. Add a 18w HID and you've tossed another $1k. That's a KISS CCR right there, plus instruction.

PerroneFord:
SCR and CCR are used widely by a very small group of people.

???

PerroneFord:
Not all the units cost as much as a small car. Some are relatively inexpensive. As for whether DIR gear will cost far less, don't count on it. If you are going to dive steel tanks, you're going to need the tanks (about $600-$1000 new) and a drysuit to provide your redundant lift ($1500-$2500). The BP/W is going to set you back $500-$600. Add a 18w HID and you've tossed another $1k. That's a KISS CCR right there, plus instruction.

Aren't many CCR divers going to need a BP&W? (Boy I hope so:wink:) And a Dry suit and a HID and a O2 Booster, and spare RB tanks, and a BOV, FFM.............

Tobin

Dawktah,

Fed up with the LDS: sounds like you are having the beginners frustration of every operator not doing things the way they expect. That's part of the fun of dive travel, different places do things different ways... not to mean they are un-safe. But just as a photographer and a spearfisher do not good dive buddies make since their objectives are not inline, your comfort zone may not align with all operators. Before you book a charter, discuss with the operator how they do things (DMs in water, tours, amount of staff... and anything else that is important to you and your wife). If your objectives and comfort zone aligns with how things are done, book it; if not, call another until they align. Also, if you want assistance from the crew (or DON'T want assistance) let that be known, most will accomodate.

DMs: DMs can be great. When traveling, they will often know where some neat critters are hiding. But having the confidence to not need them will give you alot of confidence to explore on your own.

DIR in warm water: We're everywhere baby... Japan, SE Asia, Florida, Cayman, Bonaire, Kona Hawaii, Oahu, Red Sea, Australia... and lots of other places I can't pronounce, nevermind spell. And because DIR is rather standarized world wide, if you end up needing to find a like-minded buddy if your wife stops diving, I've found that DIR makes this very easy. (We have a good network, and I've had a blast traveling solo to different countries and finding great people with whom to dive.)

DIR and photography: You'll find that the arsenal of kicks you'll learn in DIR-F, not typically taught in other recreational level classes will give you alot of manuverability. Who else teaches backwards kicks at a recreational level? Truely working on excellent situational awareness and exacting buoyancy will give you a foundation enabling safe and amazing photo dives.

DIR as rec: My father is DIR and purely a single tank diver and I'm getting into tech and cave diving... we're able to exist in the same system. The system can completely be used recreationally... however, if you ever do want to take it further, DIR allows you to do so without having to start over with respect to diving procedures, team attitudes and gear.

DIR as a cold water diver vacationing in warm water: DIR gear is so easy to transition from one environment to another... everything works the same one environment to another. Also, as a woman who dove with a BC in warm and cold water before switching to a BP/Wing, the BP doesn't shift around and is much more comfortable... a warm water dive in a BP/wing and single has to be one of the most freeing things!

Logs: All GUE classes I've ever taken, even those with requirements on number of dives, you'd only be hurting yourself and your team if you didn't abide by them. The log becomes more important to you as a record of your fun times diving and a tool by which you keep track of "hints to yourself" on how to improve.

Is DIR for you? Take the DIRF and find out... even if it's not for you in the long run, it's good instruction to have on your resume as a diver.

Meaning the footprint of CCR/SCR worldwide is incredibly small, but those that have them seem to use them and love them.

I see CCR divers in BP/W sometimes, but lots in jackets. In fact, several of the units COME with jacket BC's.

cool_hardware52:
???

Aren't many CCR divers going to need a BP&W? (Boy I hope so:wink:) And a Dry suit and a HID and a O2 Booster, and spare RB tanks, and a BOV, FFM.............

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom