Alternatives to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron G.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been to Coz several times and it's my favorite.

My wife has only been on two dive trips, both to Coz staying and diving at the Blue Angel. She'd like to try someplace different for our next trip....but I don't want it to be a step down.

We want someplace comparable: great diving, great resort/dive op, things to do in addition to diving (we rented bicycles this week and loved exploring the area on two wheels).

I like Cocoview in roatan, but there's not much to do in the afternoon (she's happy with two dives daily), I loved Bonaire, but she doesn't want to have to walk from shore all geared up (she takes her bcd off before boarding a boat), and I'm not sure how much sight-seeing there is there.

Want the convenience of the caribbean or central America. We know we won't match the cost of coz, but would like a similar, wonderful experience.
One place we're considering is the little cayman beach resort, but don't know if there's anything to do in the afternoon.

Any suggestions?

Ron

I've been to Coz several times and it's my favorite.

My wife has only been on two dive trips, both to Coz staying and diving at the Blue Angel. She'd like to try someplace different for our next trip....but I don't want it to be a step down.

We want someplace comparable: great diving, great resort/dive op, things to do in addition to diving (we rented bicycles this week and loved exploring the area on two wheels).

I like Cocoview in roatan, but there's not much to do in the afternoon (she's happy with two dives daily), I loved Bonaire, but she doesn't want to have to walk from shore all geared up (she takes her bcd off before boarding a boat), and I'm not sure how much sight-seeing there is there.

Want the convenience of the caribbean or central America. We know we won't match the cost of coz, but would like a similar, wonderful experience.
One place we're considering is the little cayman beach resort, but don't know if there's anything to do in the afternoon.

Any suggestions?

Ron
yeah..Cozumel..LOL

Big three are Cozumel, Roatan, Bonaire.

Then comes Belize.

Then comes the Caymans

Then comes Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas

After that it's the windward islands - start at the top and work your way down - Dominican Rep, Puerto Rico, Saba, Dominica, St Lucia, Grenada, Trinidad..

Don't you own a map?? :D

You can't go to LCBR if you haven't been to Belize yet, that's cheating.

We were seriously looking at Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman. Pretty much same set-up as SCC. Room, 3 meals a day (no booze which is okay because he don't drink), 5 days 2 tank boat dive and unlimited shore diving.

Cost $2195/pp versus $799. Just couldn't justify it and ended up back at SCC.

Cozumel spoils it for ya. Great diving AND at a great price. No wonder we're there 3x this year and then start all over again in January.

I'll be watching here to see if someone comes up with a good suggestion.

Betty

Grand Cayman/Little Cayman staying at Sunset house. $$$$$ but a really nice island with AMAZING beaches and very good diving including from the shore.

I don't think anything is quite going to match Cozumel point-for-point without giving up at least a little of something.

Bonaire is fairly scenic in a rustic sort of way. The park to the north, for example. But it's definitely a dive-weighted destination.

When people talk about Belize they seem to favor live-aboards if memory serves (haven't been myself), but there are land-based op.s, and there are other things to do. Just check out a cruise ship site like RoyalCaribbean.com and find the 'shore excursions' options they've got for some options. I've been to Belize one day, not diving, and did a river boat trip up the New River, saw some animals, did a walk in the jungle, saw about 3 different Mayan ruins (like pyramids) and climbed atop 2 of them. So there are other things to do.

Or, you could try to a 2 week vacation, spend one week in a diving destination, the other in a more land-based place.

Richard.

You could always come down and visit my backyard: Key Largo. No passport required and you can visit either Miami or Key West if you need to add some excitement! :D Heck we have more dive ops than there are gas stations here.

LCBR is a great place to stay and dive, but there really isn't anything else to do. No, wait, you can lie in a hammock and read. Seriously, it's a good place for total relaxation, but if you want entertainment you have to amuse yourself. I love diving Coz, but LC is the one place I like the diving even more.

You could try Playa del Carmen. Fun place, lots to do, decent diving. There's a lot of life on the spur-and-groove reefs near the shore, but you don't get the dramatic reef structures. It's also exposed to the wind, so you're more likely to get blown out. Better access to cenotes, though.

We stay in Playa, and take the ferry over to dive. Yes, it gets expensive. We love to dive, and that is our priority, but also love the other things that we do up and down the coast.

If there are 50 good restaurants on Coz, there are 200 in Playa.

There are so many day trips to enjoy, each with it's own personality and unique experience.

Spending a day in Akumal snorkeling with the turtles and poking around the town should be on every bucket list. A day on the beach in Tulum, walking in sand as fine as powdered sugar does wonders for the mind and body.

Yes, the cenotes. Diving in them, sure, but we've also had spectacular days jumping off a ledge 15' above the water, splashing and laughing and feeling like we haven't felt since our childhoods.

Go to Playa, but don't spend more than 2 hours on 5th Ave. Get the hell off that street, and get into Mexico. It's a great country.

We were seriously looking at Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman. Pretty much same set-up as SCC. Room, 3 meals a day (no booze which is okay because he don't drink), 5 days 2 tank boat dive and unlimited shore diving.

Cost $2195/pp versus $799. Just couldn't justify it and ended up back at SCC.

Cozumel spoils it for ya. Great diving AND at a great price. No wonder we're there 3x this year and then start all over again in January.

I'll be watching here to see if someone comes up with a good suggestion.

Betty

that is the same problem i run into every time i think about going some other place besides coz, $$$$$$
went to playa once, cost was the same as coz..
diving was not in the same ball park !!!
had to walk down the street, across the beach, wade out in waist deep water all geard up to climb on the boat !!!
NEVER AGAIN...COZ 5 weeks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom