Alternatives to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anything is quite going to match Cozumel point-for-point without giving up at least a little of something.

I think that's a very personal opinion based on the diver and especially based on where else he has dived.

While I do like diving in Cozumel and will return there periodically, I could easily list off 20 things that I could consider the cons of diving in Cozumel compared to other places. Cozumel's number 1 consistent diving quality I believe it has is its visibility. High visibility in Cozumel is a consistent factor there. But I could go on to list dozens of things you aren't going to experience there that you will elsewhere.

I think some people want to see what's around the next bend in the road and some people like familiarity, so once they find a place that works for them, they vacation there over and over again, nothing wrong with that, to each there own, and it's good we all find places we like.

Last edited:
My experience is limited, however I feel like I've really checked out my options for getting the most bang for my buck... I went to Roatan in 2008 and although it was a great experience for me (as I'd never been anywhere off the lower 48) I would have to say that Roatan is a definite "Step down" from Cozumel. Roatan's reefs were trashed, bleached out, broken off, it was sad to see! The only reef that was in relatively good shape was the "West End Wall" just south of West Bay.

I thought Hawaii (Big Island) was nicer than Roatan... especially doing the Manta Ray dives. Hawaii would also give you the entertainment options you're looking for after your dives. That being said, It wasn't Cheap!! That's the clincher for me... If I'm not going to be able to do it Cheap, then I'm going to bite the bullet and "go big" and try the South Pacific. :eyebrow:

Dominica-Ft. Young Hotel- Nature Island dive. Only place besides Cozumel, & Grand Cayman I just had to make a return trip to. Fabulous diving and topside.

I think that's a very personal opinion based on the diver and especially based on where else he has dived.

While I do like diving in Cozumel and will return there periodically, I could easily list off 20 things that I could consider the cons of diving in Cozumel compared to other places.

True, and I didn't intend to imply that Cozumel is the best diving destination of all. I had the impression the OP had a list of desired qualities for his destination that were based off what they like about Cozumel. I was pointing out that another Caribbean dive destination might not measure up to Cozumel, if you are judging its merits based on a list of Cozumel's strengths. If you judge each destination by its unique advantages, you're less likely to be disappointed.

I had 2 dives one day in Cozumel, Palancar Gardens and Santa Rosa, and really enjoyed them (especially Santa Rosa). Drift dives with great viz. But I've been to Bonaire 6 times, was just there last week of August, and I'm already itching to go back, and while I'd like to hit Cozumel again someday, it's not my #1.

If I said I was tired of Bonaire, but what I wanted in a destination was what I was getting at Bonaire, my Caribbean options would be pretty limited (mainly Curacao, from what I hear on the forum).

Richard.

Well Ron you seemed to enjoy Cocoview in Roatan. You are correct there is not much to do there after diving. Have you considered visiting the north side of the island? The diving there is much different then the south side. If you stay near West end you have some nightlife and some restaurants to check out. You can also take the water taxi to West Beach from there. Check out Luna Beach Resort as it has a good dive op on site and a short walk down the pier to the boat. Lovely rooms,kayaks, beach and a short walk into town for dinner and shops. www.lunabeachresort.com

Coz does seem to spoil us with the wonderful diving, consistent high visibility, easy flight and top notch restaurants. I thought Grand Cayman had some beautiful coral and interesting swim throughs, but the marine life wasn't terrible abundant and the cost was OMG jaw dropping. We liked Cobalt Coast, but I am not keen on all inclusives. Roatan was great for the shark dive, turtles and ease of dives. Quantity of fish was lacking. I never got the 'fishbowl effect' that I have in Coz. Curacao is one of my favorites. But I like the flexibility of shore diving. Not much for big fish, but still ample marine life and more eels per dive than anywhere else I have been. There are some boat dives but I felt the shore dives (with the exception of Watamula) were just as satisfying. Saba would be an interesting place to consider. Amazing topography, healthy corals and plentiful marine life Not as many grouper and pelagics as Coz. It is essentially a volcano with peaks and valleys, so bicycling is definitely not an option. Amazing hikes and for being a postage stamp sized place, the dining options were excellent. In July of this year we went diving in La Paz and Cabo San Lucas. I could actually see the thermoclines where temps ranged 22 degrees on one dive alone! Vis was pretty much crap and inconsistent. With Cabo Pulmo as the exception, the coral was virtually non-existant, but that being said, I would definitely return. Why? The vibrant marine life in both quantity and sheer size was amazing! Massive schools of fish and grouper. It was also a lot of fun diving with the sea lions. If I do return I would do it in the fall when water temps are warmer and vis improved.

I still love returning to Coz. It does have a hold on me:) But I also like to shake thinks up a bit and try new places. Let us know that you find.

As it seems that you find Cozumel suitable in a "things to do" kind of way, I'd be a plus one for Belize. I haven't been all over the place diving, but I've been to Coz and Ambergris Caye in Belize and I think they compare to some degree. I stayed at Ramon's Village, which is a little expensive, but it was ultra convenient. Though my cabana was right next to the road, and at night it would sometimes seem like someone was going to drive right into my room, it stopped at about 10pm, and if I returned, I'd request the same cabana. No. 13. 15 seconds away from the bar and restaurant. 45 seconds to my gear and the diving. Immaculate place. They'd even rake the sand at night, so when you stepped out the next morning, you could see your foot prints. Made for some great footage on my Belize dvd.

There were many good places to eat, and the food was varied. Seemed like there was kind of a European influence. Ambergris felt like a mini, mini Cozumel. The diving was really good. Spur and Groove reefs. Sharks and groupers on every dive. We really lucked out and had 10 to 15 minutes with a pod of 7 dolphins on one dive. The resort is right on the "edge" of town, so everything was in walking distance. 90% of travel is by golf cart there. Lots of shops. The "airport" is a block and a half from the resort. We walked while they took our baggage on a golf cart. They'd have let us ride, but it was so close. Ramon's dive operation did a really good job and they say that their beach is one of the best on the island. From my room, it was a 45 second walk to my equipment and the dive shop. The people were very friendly and nice. SI's were back at the resort. I don't think we went further than about 10 minutes from the resort. One could do an afternoon of shopping/exploring and you could rent a golf cart for a day and see the island. You could also do a day trip to the mainland, and there's much to do there. There wasn't really any shore diving where we were. You could, but it's turtle grass and sand and isn't deeper than about 12 feet. Lots of people snorkeled right next to the very long dock. Food at the resort was so-so for supper/dinner. They had nice breakfast and lunch menu. Great seafood soup. If I went back, I'd probably eat out every night as I do on Cozumel.

All that said, I think there are some islands further south that are really close to the mainland. I think from Ambergris, it's a 45 minute boat ride to the mainland. Also, the diving around Turneffe is considered better than what's at Ambergris, but Ambergris was just fine imo. If you stayed south, you could probably dive in the morning, and do something on the mainland every afternoon. (not sure about that, but I've read it somewhere)

Oh, when we were there, in 2007, it was during the elections and also some kind of holiday where they throw eggs at each other. It was a hoot. Some of the best entertainment I've ever seen. It may have been Carnival? There were parades at night with music and dancing, etc, just like Carnival on Coz. There was a group of men, all dressed like women, and they were a riot!! And some of the election signage was very interesting. "Tings Had. Take dem money." Apparently, one of the parties was paying people for their vote. They (whichever political party) flew one of the guys at the dive shop to the mainland, just so he could vote.

If you haven't been to Belize, why not? Cross it off the list.

-Blair

Back
Top Bottom