Alternate Air Inflator & DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP:
it comes to the bungie, I thought I read that it can be used to help hold the reg in place if the diver felt they were loosing conciousness? Is this flat out wrong?

Yea... flat out wrong. If you feel you're loosing conciousness, you communicate to your buddy and your buddy takes control.

The first question would have to be -why- are you losing conciousness? If you're breathing bad gas, the last thing you want to do is to keep breathing that gas. You go to your buddy and get them donating gas to you and get the hell out..

RDP:
I am just looking to explore the perceived reasoning behind the DIR philosophy.

Somewhere there was a great post that went through the whys of each hose on each post. I completely forgot where it was, if it was even on this site; but I'm 99% positive I responded to it... so I'm still searching.

Spectre:
Somewhere there was a great post that went through the whys of each hose on each post. I completely forgot where it was, if it was even on this site; but I'm 99% positive I responded to it... so I'm still searching.

http://the-scuba-shop.com/DIRgearconfig.htm

Not the post you responded to, but a good explanation nevertheless.

Spectre:
Yea... flat out wrong. If you feel you're loosing conciousness, you communicate to your buddy and your buddy takes control.

The first question would have to be -why- are you losing conciousness? If you're breathing bad gas, the last thing you want to do is to keep breathing that gas. You go to your buddy and get them donating gas to you and get the hell out..

I think I'm getting mixed reports. If the strap is not ever used to help hold the backup reg in the mouth what does the quote Pete340 refered to mean? The quote is off the WKPP website.

Pete340:
..., and to provide a strap to hold that reg tightly in the mouth when necessary."

Spectre:
Read Pete's complete post.

Well, somebody needs to say more than that. The article clearly says that you use the bungee to hold the reg in your mouth. On the DVD he clearly says the same thing (and spends quite a bit of time at it) before he giggles and denies it. I can't tell from that whether he's kidding when he says to use it that way or when he says it doesn't work.

pete340:
Well, somebody needs to say more than that. The article clearly says that you use the bungee to hold the reg in your mouth. On the DVD he clearly says the same thing (and spends quite a bit of time at it) before he giggles and denies it. I can't tell from that whether he's kidding when he says to use it that way or when he says it doesn't work.

How's about this? The bungee could conceivably be used in that manner, though it is not the primary purpose. The primary purpose is to keep the regulator around your neck so you always know where it is and can easily get to it in an emergency.

OK, the explanation about the left and right valves seems reasonable, yet rather improbable.

Wouldn't you have to very carefully roll the valve handle along an overhead surface like a kid pushing a toy car? A valve handle has a diameter of about 1.5in, so the circumference is about 4.7in. Usually it about 5 or 6 full turns to go all the way from open to closed, so that's about 2ft of rolling. So you have to roll for 2ft while avoiding contact with the tank which actually protrudes higher without noticing it.

Is there a recorded instance of this actually happening? Wouldn't the much more like event be that someone just rams the valve into something solid straight on and it breaks off?

Also, could not some foreign object become wedged on the bottom of the valve between the tank and the diver thus rolling it the other way?

android:
OK, the explanation about the left and right valves seems reasonable, yet rather improbable.

Would you like to test that theory on the end of my long hose if I routed it off the left side?

Wouldn't you have to very carefully roll the valve handle along an overhead surface like a kid pushing a toy car? A valve handle has a diameter of about 1.5in, so the circumference is about 4.7in. Usually it about 5 or 6 full turns to go all the way from open to closed, so that's about 2ft of rolling. So you have to roll for 2ft while avoiding contact with the tank which actually protrudes higher without noticing it.

Two feet isn't very far, especially if you're scootering. And my manifold shuts down in just over one complete rotation, which would be like 5-6 inches.

android:
Usually it about 5 or 6 full turns to go all the way from open to closed, so that's about 2ft of rolling. So you have to roll for 2ft while avoiding contact with the tank which actually protrudes higher without noticing it.

Nice manifolds are only about 1.5-2.5 turns - not 5 or 6 - it's somewaht easy to get a roll off actually - that's why you reach back and check at any contact

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom