Also Coming to Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearhound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright, after reading many of the threads here, I'm very excited to be going to Kailua-Kona for some shore diving. I'll be there from March 3 -11. A couple of questions.

What's the price of lead down there? I see places renting for ~$10/day. Since I only need 6lbs, I was wondering if it was cheaper to buy.

I may be teaching another person how to dive (I'm an instructor). Where is a nice calm place to do the open water dives, with easy shore entry? Kailua Bay? (And I realize this is weather dependent)

Any place rent out DIN tanks? I kind of want to get some pics and vid of me ocean diving in sidemount config. I can do it with yokes, but its much cleaner looking with DINs.

I'll post again closer to the date, but anybody up for some shore diving then?

I suspect you can get lead for about $4 to 5 a pound on the Big Island. Walmart is a good source in Hawaii, but not always the cheapest. Not sure which shop is cheap for weights there.

CHeck shorediving.com

This seems silly but I once read about somebody sending weights to Hawaii using a USPS flat-rate box. The USPS website indicates you can ship anything that fits in a 8x5x2" box to Kona for $4.95 in three days.

Can't you just put 6lbs. in your carry-on? Probably get checked going thru TSA though.

KonaAquatica: Konaquatica Dive Center - Technical Gear Rentals

Back
Top Bottom