Headed to Kona in April after long absence - anything new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed back to Kona in April for a couple of weeks for the first time in seven years. Last couple of times there, I had just switched from the old Big Island Divers shop to Kona Honu - for no reason other than that I thought the KH policies fit a little better with my shore diving habits. From reading recent posts, it sounds like KH is still a good outfit to go with.

Anything else new to know about? I read that the dolphin encounter rules have changed. Running in to them was always a great highlight to a trip. Guess I'll have to make sure I know the new rules.

Is Uber or Lyft a practical way to get around town? I'm staying within walking distance down Ali'i Drive from Kailua Town, but am debating whether $800+ per week for a rental car is worth it. On past trips I've mostly shore-dived and will be able to do some of that from my condo still I hope, but am considering relying on boat dives this trip instead, especially since I'll be solo for most or all of the time. Curious if Uber or Lyft have become a workable thing there yet?

I used Turo for a rental when I was there last year. You're essentially renting someone's car for a lower rate than the big rental companies charge. Downside is your CC or insurance don't cover you like they would from Budget or Enterprise. They have coverage that is cheap enough to still be far less than big companies.

I was looking at Turo earlier today. A little cheaper, but insurance and reliability are something to consider. Did it work out smoothly for you?

I've used it twice. Once on Kona and once on Oahu. Kona is easier since they can leave it in the airport parking lot for you. I had 6 people so needed a van and it was fine. I saved 300 on the week that way. I did not get the added insurance on kona because it's kona. On Oahu I did because that is like a tropical Seattle and don't trust people much.

Anything else new to know about?
Non-diving - not sure of the timing for you, but if you visited Volcanoes NP when you were there before, it's possible it will look different due to volcanic activity. We went in 2012 and again in 2019 - big difference!

$800+ per week for a rental car
but insurance and reliability are something to consider.
Crazy costs! In 2019 (pre-pandemic), we paid $500 for a 1 week rental on Kauai and later that year $702 for 2 weeks on the Big Island. The nice thing for us is we travel with friends , so split the cost between 2 couples. Both of those would have included costs for extra (collision/damage/loss of use) waiver. Last year for 1 week, we got a Minivan in Oahu for $720 (thru AAA/Hertz) + $88 for the waiver (thru Allianz.) Can't remember if that waiver was offered through AAA/Hertz of if I got it on my own.

I do know for a FL trip later this year, it was offered as I was renting a car, again thru AAA/Hertz. This protection runs $11/day and covers anyone who is a driver listed on the car rental agreement. Just an FYI below:

If you wind up renting, and you want to get out of Kona, head up to the Kohala coast to Puako. I did boat dives there, but I know you can also shore dive - it's a different look than diving the Kona area.

I was in Kona last week and did see a couple of Lyft lights in cars while walking, so, there may be some savings found over renting.

I’ve always enjoyed the ease, safety and beauty of Hawai’i, but I’ve always felt it is a poor place to cut corners, trying to save money. I just accept I’ll be spending a premium and enjoy myself.

Lift and Uber run 15-20 per ride per direction even on short runs. Airport to Kailua-Kona was almost $50. Rental is by far cheaper of you're planning anything other than walking around the local markets.

And trying to do scuba, especially if you have you own equipment, without a rental car would be very, very, impractical.

Lots of good ideas and context. Thank you.
I've used it twice. Once on Kona and once on Oahu. Kona is easier since they can leave it in the airport parking lot for you. I had 6 people so needed a van and it was fine. I saved 300 on the week that way. I did not get the added insurance on kona because it's kona. On Oahu I did because that is like a tropical Seattle and don't trust people much.
I'm not a fan of damage coverage for my own vehicles, but with someone else's car I feel better with coverage. I once damaged a rocker panel on decorative lava rock in a parking lot in Kailua Town. Only claim I've ever made against a rental, but I was glad to have had the insurance. I'll give Turo another look.
Non-diving - not sure of the timing for you, but if you visited Volcanoes NP when you were there before, it's possible it will look different due to volcanic activity. We went in 2012 and again in 2019 - big difference!
I was fortunate to be there back in the '00s when the flows had just over-run the lower visitor center, and we spent an evening playing around the flowing lava. Truly surreal, an unforgettable experience. If I end up with a car, I'll definitely look into the opportunities.
Crazy costs! In 2019 (pre-pandemic), we paid $500 for a 1 week rental on Kauai and later that year $702 for 2 weeks on the Big Island. The nice thing for us is we travel with friends , so split the cost between 2 couples. Both of those would have included costs for extra (collision/damage/loss of use) waiver. Last year for 1 week, we got a Minivan in Oahu for $720 (thru AAA/Hertz) + $88 for the waiver (thru Allianz.) Can't remember if that waiver was offered through AAA/Hertz of if I got it on my own.
I've seen Allianz charges on my dad's CC statements, now I know what they were! I usually use a CC that provides the coverage.
If you wind up renting, and you want to get out of Kona, head up to the Kohala coast to Puako. I did boat dives there, but I know you can also shore dive - it's a different look than diving the Kona area.
I like the Puako diving when conditions permit, and some of the spots along the way there. Have to see if I can get up there this trip.
I was in Kona last week and did see a couple of Lyft lights in cars while walking, so, there may be some savings found over renting.

I’ve always enjoyed the ease, safety and beauty of Hawai’i, but I’ve always felt it is a poor place to cut corners, trying to save money. I just accept I’ll be spending a premium and enjoy myself.
These times may have passed, but I've had good luck making Kona trips pretty budget-friendly. Cars for <$150/wk, nice waterfront condo just outside Kailua with shore access diving for <=$100/nt all in, and lots of shore diving. That worked for at least a half dozen trips through the '00s and '10s. I expect there will be some sticker shock this time. Hope the boat dives are still under $200!

Lift and Uber run 15-20 per ride per direction even on short runs. Airport to Kailua-Kona was almost $50. Rental is by far cheaper of you're planning anything other than walking around the local markets.
To make Lyft/Uber work I'd have to rely on boat diving, aside from what I can find across the street from the condo. Have to see if the dive op can recommend a way to get to the shop or harbor on dive days. It would be a change from the typical car-centric trips of the past, but I can see just spending some time snorkeling and free diving around Kailua Bay. Maybe rent the car for part of the time. Still considering options at this point.
And trying to do scuba, especially if you have you own equipment, without a rental car would be very, very, impractical.
I wouldn't be able to shore dive away from the condo, but for boat diving I'd just need to shuttle with my snorkel gear, and leave the BC and weights at the shop.

The benefit of the CDW (collision damage waiver) is that it covers most, if not all, damage to the car from an accident, and hopefully theft and loss of use. I first used Allianz car rental protection for a rental on a trip out west - the main reason was that we were planning on going through Bear Country in SD, a drive-through park where bears and other animals can roam freely. I had visions of some monster bear (Cocaine Bear!!) putting a dent in the car. The Allianz plan is a primary insurance so there is there is no reporting it to your insurance and being dinged with a higher premium. This is THE reason to get a CDW.

I usually use a CC that provides the coverage.
There are a few things to be aware of as CC companies often change their benefits:

1. For the CC to cover the damage/loss of a rental, the rental must be paid for in full with that credit card and the CDW from the car rental company has to be declined. Makes sense.

2. Not all credit cards are equal in offering the CDW. All of my cc's are lower level cards. I have a Mastercard and Discover card of which neither offers any car rental benefits at all. Also couldn't find that my Visa card provides the coverage (they all used to.) The American Express I use does have the coverage but it's secondary coverage, as many of the different cards are. One's insurance company would have to pay first and then the CC pays anything not covered.

Always a good idea to review what benefits a specific card has. An interesting thread on SB would be stories from those who could share actual experiences of the type of insurance (CC, car rental facility, or 3rd party) they had and what process they had to go through to make a claim.

* I only mentioned Allianz in the beginning as I found their price to be competitive or lower than what a lot of the car rental companies offer. If I couldn't get a plan like that from a third party, I'd still be paying for the CDW with the car rental company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom