Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think the proper technique is:

1. Bend at the waist to a 90 degree angle
2. Place your head between your knees
3. Kiss your *****, "Goodbye"
4. Hope the Gator grabs you by the head so you are't alive when he drags you under a sunken tree or rock to drown and tenderize you.

Or:

Swim only in Cold springs that are clear :)

original.jpg

medium.jpg

They're gorgeous animals ... i'd hate to see them go the way of the dodo in the wild.

-----

Mike.

If you are going to dive in Florida, you are going to deal with alligators. That is all there is to it. If gators prefer warmer water, someone should tell the BIG boy at Alexander and his little 3-4ft buddy too. Maybe tell the ones I always see at Blue spring while they're at it. I see gators all the time while diving, they are just part of spring diving in Florida. In fact, they are my 10yr old favorite photo subject when in the water. That is all we do is swim aroung looking for gators it seems like. Since he saw his first one, he has been hooked on them. I wonder how he is going to be when he gets up the nerve to go in the ocean with me and sees a shark??!! Oh well, maybe he'll be a famous "conservationist" when he grows up! Seriously, don't worry about the gators. Stay away from them and you...shouldn't...have a problem. I have had them cross directly over my head at Alexander, albeit about 15-20 above. A little hair raising but no problem. They have always moved on when seeing us enter the water or in the water. Just don't surface next to floating logs!!

If I see a "baby ruth" in a dive spot, I am seriously going to wonder how that happened with everyone wearing wetsuits!!!

I am seriously going to wonder how that happened with everyone wearing wetsuits!!!
Kinda makes one wonder about the shore crew doesn't it? :D

-----

Mike.

It's not only illegal, but given the right conditions and animal, it can seriously devastate the local eco-system. I guess they consider releasing them in the wild, the most humane thing to do.

-----

Mike.

Yup. Lack of foresight getting a "pet" that they will eventually not be able to keep, and lack of foresight on getting rid of a "pet" that they cannot keep.

Midnight Star:
I guess they consider releasing them in the wild, the most humane thing to do.

-----

Mike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom