Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Yup. Lack of foresight getting a "pet" that they will eventually not be able to keep, and lack of foresight on getting rid of a "pet" that they cannot keep.
I remember, when I was in my early teens, working at a local pet shop here. Each week, a guy would bring his van to the mall, and in it, would be all kinds of "exotic pets"; I was too young then to know any better, plus then, it was a viable market. One of his "items" was a young caimen, which I promply bought. Might I add, that they can and do readily bite ... :) And, which I NOW know, are the most aggressive of all "croc" like reptilians! Alligators are the most docile of the group.

The only thing I could get him to eat was pieces of steak which I "incised" while frozen (replacing the rest for someone else to find and eat ... :light:) He survived for almost a year, until fall set it. I left him outside (my pre-knowledge years), and he got cold while submerged ... and drowned.

After I realized he wasn't responding, I got a long straw, placing it in his mouth then clamping down, I tried to "puff" air into his lungs. After a few puffs, I turned him upside down and loads of water came out from his lungs. I could feel him twinge back and forth when I was puffing (his lungs were inflating), but he never fully responded.

So next I put him on the kitchen table, grabbed my Sears biology set ... and dissected him! (the things we do when were young!). When he was layed open, I could see his heart still beating, and that did me in on dissection for good. There was no way a seasoned nurse could convince me that I didn't just kill it ... no way a heart still beats AFTER something has reached death.

Despite experimentation with dissection, I DO promise to try CPR first. :rofl3: :popcorn:

Signed,

Your dive buddy. :D

NetDoc:
Gentle people,

can we get back to them thar gators? Go hash out young divers on another thread please!

Pete, it was related to the main topic, so it belonged here. I believe that discussion is finished.

midnight---ABC:Airway, Breathing, Circulation. if the person/thing is not breathing, open the airway. if that doesnt work, insert an airway adjunct, then breathing. if its not breathing, breathe for it. then circulation...why for heavens sake did you not check a pulse? lol...great story though

You mean Airway, Breathing, Cut it open.

The new ABC. Watch your back around Midnight. :)

Henry Morgan:
You mean Airway, Breathing, Cut it open.

The new ABC. Watch your back around Midnight. :)
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

-----

Mike.

Walter:
You child, your choice. OTOH, with regard to my children, you are way off. I would never certify my child at such a young age. I wouldn't teach yours unless he was at least 12 and unusually mature for the age. I did certify my son at age 13, but his judgement was way beyond the point he would try to play with an alligator.

I wasnt saying HE WOULD try to play with an alligator, I meant I am not sure that he would completely stay away from a smaller one. He is VERY inquisitive, about animals in particular, and generally just loves ALL animals. Whether they are gators, snakes, worms, whatever it may be. He likes to check em out a little to close for my comfort level. The younger one IS maturing as time goes on but he is still a kid and kids make stupid decisions sometimes. My 10 yr old that just got certified in October does very well in the water, he loves diving! The younger one is a fish!! Just not certified yet, and no I don't think he is quite ready yet but maybe by next yr he will be.

Back
Top Bottom