Alert Diver does Sports' Illustrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm usually wrong about what will or will not sell, but I'd be surprised if Skin Diver rack sales goes up very much. Those who'd buy the mag because of the "babe" on the cover would probably buy one of several other mags instead.

"I am afraid that people who have never purchased a dive magazine will suddenly see this cover and think to themselves "That diving looks like a good sport to get into" based on the cover model and not a genuine interest in the sport."

People get involved in diving all the time who have no genuine interest in diving. This is usually encouraged. I don't see where this will influence diving at all as it is merely an extension of what is already happening.

"more and more divers are getting into the sport as pre-teens and teens. This is an extremely fragile age in terms of values setting and self image for both boys and girls. I think that this is the wrong message to send to young divers about the sport."

They get this message from many many sources. Seeing it in a dive mag is not going to have a big impact. As parents, it is our responsibility to educate our children about what they will encounter that is positive and negative and how to deal with them.

I do not think there is a place for such material disguised as articles in dive magazines, but I also think there has been a huge
over reaction to a very minor issue.

The only objection I have to the cover is the child appears to be way too young to be posing in a seductive manner. Does that mean I'm old?

DSSW,

WWW™

Looks like my rant sort of set the tone on this one. :( And as Walter so gently pointed out, maybe I did over react just a tad, though he didn't mention my name. But something he also said I think points to my basic objection. There's no reason to have such a young woman posing in such a seductive manner. I don't object as much to the photos in the article, we're all used to the 'sex sells' mentality. It just seems like this particular pose for the cover was in especially bad taste.

After reading the magazine, maybe our comments to DAN should reflect our feelings about the 'Survival Games' contest that is being run.

Then again...maybe I'm just too old?!?!

Originally posted by Dee
After reading the magazine, maybe our comments to DAN should reflect our feelings about the 'Survival Games' contest that is being run.

It is obvious to me that most of the people posting on this thread are not in the target audience for this publication. I have not been able to get my teenage sons to read those other diving mags. They read text books all day long, so they say. (their grades don't seem to indicate it) They do read SD as it is somewhat escapist reading, and they do get some information.
My teenage sons weren't impressed with the swim suits, they see much better in their electronic gaming mags, and my wifes fashion mags.

This may seem mean but this type of action does smack a little bit of Taliban type censor. I am thinking of cancelling my Dan membership and writing them a nasty letter. (Just kidding)

Dee- You and I had similar reactions and I am not old. Or at least I don't think I am. I turned 29 last month!

Walter - I am sorry that you think that we overreacted but I do believe that we are entitled to state our opinions in the Women's section of the board. I assume that there is a reason that Women were given their own forum and it is probably because LD and KN knew that we would have our own issues and concerns to address.

After 11 years in the US Air Force working in a maintenance squadron where for many years I was one of a less than 5 women out of 200+ men, I have learned that sometimes you need to express your opinions early because if you wait until it is the status quo then it is darn near impossible to change.

In diving, women like myself express our equality by always carrying our gear and not being depended on our husbands and boyfriends. It is about becoming rescue divers and being able to take care of yourself and your buddy in an emergency. Maybe some of our reaction to this picture and article has been a real reaction to a dive industry that still doesn't seem to "get" women in many ways. It is like the small and pink theory to women's gear. We want to be taken seriously as consumers and divers. We want manufactures and resorts to think of us as people with buying power and decision makers. A magazine cover on a large diving publication like Skin Diver that was so obviously aimed at men gave them more weight as consumers and I for one was insulted.

Maybe I was just reactioning to a society that still has a long way to go because women still make $.76 for every $1 men make in this country.

I would be interested to hear if our international friends have the same feelings.

Okay, I am done. Enough about this cover. Right wrong or indifferent, I think I have said enough.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Yes, it is a stupid cover and layout. There isn't much else worth anything in any of their issues.

I bet it was a joke trying to keep those models cooled down in those wetsuits during the shoot. The out- takes would be worth the price of admission. The guy and girl getting amorous on the desk of the boat is the best. Can you imagine them trying to go to the next level and both trying to squirm out of their suits.

This really makes a joke out of the rag and DAN.

Too bad.

KC_Scubabunny,

"I do believe that we are entitled to state our opinions in the Women's section of the board."

I believe you are entitled to state your opinions anywhere! I will defend your right to do so. If you thought I was indicating otherwise, I apologize. That is not the case.

DSSW,

WWW™

My wife (also a diver) was also displeased over the contents of Skin Diver. DAN is know using this mag to market itself to the beginning OW diver. The competition is stiff with several new insurers on the block!

Did DAN know? Only they can tell and hopefully they will write an editorial in their "good" mag "Alert Diver" and refute the cheesecake.

I rarely find anything in SD that is helpful anyway except for the latest dive accident page.

If you want real, somewhat unbiased diving news subscribe to the "Undercurrent". I have been a subscriber for the last three years and it is the only dive publication that really has something to say. There are othe truely worthy publications out there too.

My suggestion is to write to DAN not SD. DAN has much more to loose than SD.

Having finally seen the offending cover, I must say I found it fairly inappropriate and found myself wondering exactly what "niche" SD were aiming for...

In Thailand, a lot of emphasis is placed on appearance and social status. If you've got it flaunt it, or even if you don't, flaunt it anyway.

I'm afraid to say that if the girl on the cover was wearing a sack of potatoes, if that look was "in" at the moment, a lot of girls would be out buying it, regardless of whether they actually liked it or not.

Personally if a sack of potatoes would keep me warm and protect me from scrapes and scratches and stingy things in the water, then I would wear one too!

I, too, think the cover is, well, a crude attempt to attract attention, and here we are all talking about it. There must be red faces at DAN...

Back
Top Bottom