Airport Security scrutiny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, reminds me of a price compaire they did here a couple of years ago..
Norwegian choclate was cheaper in the grocery stores than it was on the airport tax-free :eek:

Let me tell y'all the secret of getting out of Cozumel. Take a taxi to the airport as many hours before flight time as you can and check in. With Continental that is 9:30 am for the 12:15 flight. Now all you have is a carry on which best meet the criteria stated above. Then walk out to the traffic circle and catch a taxi back into town for a leisurely lunch or late breakfast enjoying a few more hours in Cozumel. Then go back with your carry on and boarding pass just 40 minutes before departure. You will find NO lines at any time and you won't miss your flight.

I have been doing this for 20 years and never a problem, except missing time spent at the duty free shop ( which is more expensive than buying in the states!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
We've done this the last few flights. It does make it easy. Still can't take any tools, but it is easy!

Mike

I always thought it was funny that cattle prods were even listed. :idk: For decades of cowboying, we never allowed any to be used on our cattle, makes them too hard to manage - but why does TSA mention them?

Tools under 7" are fine with TSA now, and Mexican security is supposed to work flights to the US per TSA terms, but with their interpretation I guess it's easier to say "none" rather than get into size and type.

I went thru security at CZM Saturday 12/10 also. I was also randomly selected for a second pat down/screen at the gate. WooHoo. Luckily no problems.
The one thing I noticed is that some people have carry-ons that are way too big, or carry on three bags. Neither of these things help speed up the line!
Blame the airlines for their baggage charges for that. $200 for a 51# bag?! :eek: That's their new cash cow tho.

Btw I flew back home from England to Norway the 27th december I think it was.
First of all of course there was people slowing down the line, but when I finally had my computer x-rayed and went through the metal detector one of the staff asked me "is this your computer?" and wanted to dust it for "residues" - I dont really need them to elaborate to know it was explosive residues they where concerned about. Got me thinking of what would happen if they did that while I was in the army..

Me: "No officer, really Im an EOD and Ammunitions soldier, thats probably why theres residues"
Armed police: "Yeah, rite - bend over"
Fertilizer residue can cause problems. Golfers need to clean their shoes very well. :crafty:

Let me tell y'all the secret of getting out of Cozumel. Take a taxi to the airport as many hours before flight time as you can and check in. With Continental that is 9:30 am for the 12:15 flight. Now all you have is a carry on which best meet the criteria stated above. Then walk out to the traffic circle and catch a taxi back into town for a leisurely lunch or late breakfast enjoying a few more hours in Cozumel. Then go back with your carry on and boarding pass just 40 minutes before departure. You will find NO lines at any time and you won't miss your flight.

I have been doing this for 20 years and never a problem, except missing time spent at the duty free shop ( which is more expensive than buying in the states!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
I can just see 50 cabs with 100 people coming back to the airport for the same plane 40 minutes before take-off. :laughing:

Haha, reminds me of a price compaire they did here a couple of years ago..
Norwegian choclate was cheaper in the grocery stores than it was on the airport tax-free :eek:
I had a cousin visit Switzerland last week. Some of the family asked him to bring home chocolate but he said it was cheaper in local stores.

Did anyone have any issues with security in CZM taking your Dive computer battery(ies). I'm not a photo guy or a rebreather guy, but i do have a dive computer that I would of course be packing in my carry-on. I'd sure hate to loose it, and If I take a replacement, they'd probably take that one as well.

Thanks,

Did anyone have any issues with security in CZM taking your Dive computer battery(ies). I'm not a photo guy or a rebreather guy, but i do have a dive computer that I would of course be packing in my carry-on. I'd sure hate to loose it, and If I take a replacement, they'd probably take that one as well.

Thanks,
I carry spares in my checked luggage. Very cheap at Ebay stores, BTW.

We didn't have any problems last month with our dive computer batteries. Our dive computers were in our carry-ons and nobody seemed to care about the batteries.

And the rule for liquids is ONE ziploc bag

I've NEVER used a ziploc bag. Mine are always in my shaving kit and I never get questioned.

But after reading how strict they are being, I might reconsider.

Coming home on Sat. They made me take out all but 4 batteries and put them in checked baggage.

The security screening at the CZM airport is much more strict than I ever encountered in the US. At the risk of being interpreted as a total diva, I was surprised to see hair dryers banned in carry-on bags. If I don't use my hair dryer, I run the risk of looking like Chaka Khan. It is always a carry on essential along with spare underwear, saline and under eye anti-oxidant serum:wink: Batteries inside my camera and dive computer were not an issue. My spare camera batteries were confiscated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom