Airline Carry-on Bags - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am preparing for a caribbean LOB trip and I am flying via Continental Airlines. I am an experienced traveller but need some input because it is my first time to bring along a sling bag full of u/w camera equipment. According to the Continental Air website, carry-on restrictions include one carry-on bag and one personal item. The carry-on bag dimensions must not exceed a maximum combined linear measurement of 114 linear cms (45 linear inches). For the personal item, it says a large shoulder bag, large backpack, laptop bag or an item of similar size.
I have a carry-on bag that contains my U/W camera equipment. It is a Kata 3N1-33 Sling/BackPack that is well within carry-on bag size.

Kata Bags 3N1-33 for DSLR w/long-range zoom lens+ 5-6 lenses+flash - Slings and Torso Packs

I know those carry-on bags have weight limits but it is not specified on the Carry-on Baggage page of Continental. I am going to assume the common 10kg (22-lb) limit so I will ensure that my camera sling bag does not exceed that.
The one that comes across as vague is the personal item. The personal item is defined, by the airline, as a large shoulder bag, large backpack, laptop bag, or an item of similar size.

My question:
How large is large for the personal item/bag? I plan to have another backpack for over-night clothing, jacket, mask, dive computer, travel documents, toiletries, etc. In case my main dive bag (chacked baggage) gets delayed when I arrive at my destination. Any tried and true tips from experienced travelers? I am not sure if I can take such a thing with me as carry-on along with my overnight bag.

Advice, please :D

I always thought the key was that the personal item should fit under the seat.

I always thought the key was that the personal item should fit under the seat.

That's what I thought. I guess that's a good rule of thumb.

The Kata 3N1-33 bag would easily pass for a "personal item" bag.
Feel free to carry-on another bag up to the maximum size restrictions for carry-on luggage (45 linear inches).

Like awap, I always thought that a "personal item" should be able to fit under the seat in front of you. Having said this, I have had the misfortune of sitting in certain seats that have less storage than usual in that particular area. In those cases, it was never a problem to wedge my personal item into the overhead compartment.

If your flight isn't very full, all of this will be a non-issue.

It should work. If you declare "scuba gear" they will up the weight limit for checked bags to 70 # by the way. And if you are flying first class, you can check three bags, each up to 70# on international flights on Continental.

It should work. If you declare "scuba gear" they will up the weight limit for checked bags to 70 # by the way.

Is this still true, and if so, on what airlines?

Think in terms of one bag going in the overhead and one going under the seat. That's the general rule nowadays, at least for the major US carriers. And I wouldn't expect any of those carriers to weigh a carry-on, I've never seen it happen. (Most people do perfect the art of carrying a heavy carry-on while pretending it's a feather, just in case it helps.) My husband takes a typical roll-aboard and a somewhat plump camera backpack and it's never been an issue.

Note - it's a different game on some non-US carriers, or on small planes. Some have lower limits on carry-ons, and definitely weigh and enforce them.

The real problem may occur on the return flight. Watching flyers stuffing too large bags into overhead bins is common on domestic flights, and flight crews let it go until space is gone, then gate check the rest. Underseat space use is always encouraged, but rarely used.
On the out of country return check in you may be subjected to greater scrutiny on size and weight, even if you brought the same bag/weight over on the incoming flight. International gate agents are more likely to enforce the regs, and may make you check what doesn't meet the limit requirements.
I ran into this unexpectedly returning from Hawaii, of all places. The exact bag/weight that flew in without a second look, was rejected at check in. I had to redistribute to multiple bags, just to get on. Even if it's a US carrier, you coulod face increased enforcement.

I know those carry-on bags have weight limits but it is not specified on the Carry-on Baggage page of Continental. I am going to assume the common 10kg (22-lb) limit so I will ensure that my camera sling bag does not exceed that.
You are talking about two (2) carry-ons, right: your allowed carry-on plus your camera bag - not three? I got a little confused there on your original post. Anyway, you are indeed allowed those two.

Continental's site does not have weight limit for carry-ons. Some airlines do, but I've never seen them weigh one. As long as you can carry it down the aisle and put it in the overhead alone, you should be fine. I try to limit my roll-on to 40#, but I don't try to roll it down the aisle like some - bumping people. Carry it. One of these days an overhead bin is going to collapse in turbulence with all the heavy bags they carry, but for now - good to go. :pilot:
It should work. If you declare "scuba gear" they will up the weight limit for checked bags to 70 # by the way. And if you are flying first class, you can check three bags, each up to 70# on international flights on Continental.
That is long out of date and no longer true. Airlines make a lot of money on luggage fees, especially "Customers who travel in Economy Class with checked baggage over 50 lbs (23 kg) and not exceeding 70 lbs (32 kg) will be charged at the rate of up to $200 per piece depending on the destination." Three years ago it was $50/bag for over 50# but they've bumped it well. :eek:
Is this still true, and if so, on what airlines?
Continental used to have that allowance but it's long gone. In some destinations where non-employee contractors help work flights, some agents may not be aware and you might get away with it - but probably not. People can trash a lot of belongings in a hurry to save $200 in fees per bag.

I flew Delta to Coz in 6-2010, American to Cancun in 2-2011, and JetBlue to Cancun in 10-2011. During each trip, I had a carryon with regs, lights, mask, some weights, and other essentials. Each time the carryon (small suitcase with required dimensions) weighed about 50 pounds and I was never questioned. On the American flight from Miami, they weighed everyone's carryon (excluding small personal bags) at the gate. I am not sure why. Mine on that trip was 52 pounds (yes, more than my checked bag), and it was no big deal.

Ditto the other comments on personal bags fitting under the seat.

FYI, on the return trip last month, one of our divers had his one pound weights confiscated by airport security but they ignored his 2 pound weights. We figured there was just a higher demand for one pound weights in the area during that time.

Hope you have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom